Close

Default March Ram Air Scoop?

So I was under the car changing a parking light bulb and checking out the intake system on my 84. I was actually really impressed with the factory ram air tubes that lead up to the air cleaner snorkels. They look like they get a decent amount of air in there....more than most car in 1984 we’re getting. I was wondering if anyone though a March ram air scoop for an EFI car world be beneficial. I could hook it up to the factory ram air tube in the p/s with some clamps and dryer hose. Not sure if the gain would be worth it.

1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Nothing? I know its probably not worth more than a pony or 2, but I just think it looks cool. Here's my inspiration..except it would be for one side and not two. Unless i could find another scoop that is reversible.
    Name:  mscott681.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  28.0 KBName:  1968-olds-442.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  127.2 KB
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I also thought about doing this years ago - but never did. For a driver side scoop you might have to cut off the tube end, flip it and fiberglass or plastic weld it back together. That was my plan.
    You could also try to use the Olds Scoops, But they are $250 a pair from here:
    http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....p?number=LBS69
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

I put the whole March scoop and air box on my wife's 91 automatic. We noticed a difference. If you have hairy arms like I do you can actually feel the air being drawn into the scoop even at idle.
    Some people have commented about hard rain and deep puddles to me but I have not had a problem yet and I've been in a couple very hard down pours without any problems.
    And yes dryer vent hose is exactly what I have on it now replacing the original hose.
    Last edited by dagenham; 10-11-2017 at 05:57 AM.

I setup Ram Air on my RS using the factory fender setup with the snorkel air cleaner and some custom fiberglass inlets using the factory air dam openings. It came out really nice and works very well!

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

A guy I knew back in the day had the March setup and it was really cool! Sounded awesome!
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

One thing to note is the mounting of the scoop. Number one it hangs low even on stock suspension. They give you simple sheet metal screws to run into the bottom of the bumper cover. After tearing off on parking curbs a few times I made two plates to sandwich the rubber bumper cover between them. Then I used regular nuts and bolts. It will take a pretty big hit to tear it off now.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    One thing to note is the mounting of the scoop. Number one it hangs low even on stock suspension. They give you simple sheet metal screws to run into the bottom of the bumper cover. After tearing off on parking curbs a few times I made two plates to sandwich the rubber bumper cover between them. Then I used regular nuts and bolts. It will take a pretty big hit to tear it off now.
    Thats one thing I'm afraid of. I have the ridiculously rare 84.5 bumper cover and I'm fearful of drilling into it let alone tearing it. Summit sells the March scoop alone for 50 bucks. I'm going to see if i can find a used one cheaper and do a test fit.
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

I either seem to double post or not post....I am going to give it a minute and try again.
    Last edited by homer302; 10-12-2017 at 07:16 PM.

I always encourage air intake high up inside the fenders or from the cowl. I've had to fix a motor that sucked water once. It bent the connecting rods was "all" luckily but it was still a complete tear down, etc. needless drama in my opinion.

nobody plans to end up in enough water to end up sucking it in, but when the inlet is low it happens.