Close

Default Trying to find any clues on true mileage with my '86 Turbo coupe

Good evening all. Recently I picked up my '86 TC and was going through everything again for smog today after it barely failed HC by a crummy 10 PPM. : ( In went a new O2 sensor and I've got GTP in the tank for a cleanout.

Anyway, I took it for a run around the neighborhood today and noticed that the PO didn't tell me the whole truth on the odometer. He claimed it only had 132,640 miles on it, but lo and behold...the sixth digit was for whole miles. Not 10ths. I didn't realize this when I bought it since it was dark out and the back lights aren't working the night I looked at it then drove it home.

However, it doesn't make sense. The turbo is tight, engine fires on third rotation of the crank, transmission is sound (no grinding), and I don't feel any slop in the steering. The only thing replaced is the heater core with an aftermarket thermostat sensor jammed between the fins. Somebody took care of the car.

Just an hour ago I did a free online history report, but there aren't any recorded tags on mileage. I literally can't find anything.

Question is this: Do you guys have any reliable way of knowing extended mileage on a car outside of paperwork? I'm wondering if a PO just jammed another cluster in the car when the old one failed.

Thanks all.

My mistake for omitting some basic information...

Current odo. reading: 326,412.4
    Site visited for basic history report:VehicleHistory.com
    Had car for only a week.

Look for wear on the brake pedals and carpet. If its anywhere near 300k the pedals would have a ton of wear on them.

Even still, a well taken care of car, doesnt always reflect the mileage. I had a car with a digital dash I bought at 191k or so I thought. The 1 digit doesnt roll over. It ran good and got good mileage, really good power and the body was okay for a 30 year old car. No weird whistle or vibration at 85mph. Turns out it had 291k miles and a bunch of old cruddy body work from a roll over in 1987 when it was a hertz rent a car. I noticed one day while filling it up with gas that one side of the roof was about 2" taller then the other.

Driving it down the road, you would never know.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Wow, it went from 132640 to 326412! I dont think I have ever seen a TC with that many miles! We have emissions here in CT and I have tracked down old emission reports, some of the stations will print prevous copies so you can have an idea of the reported mileage over the years. Looks like you have gotten a history report to give you a better idea. If you do a search for carfax reports, you can usually find someone to run a report for $5 and email it to you. That should give you the whole history. Good Luck with it.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

The collective knowledge here is considerable. I had a major issue with my 1981 Mustang, a California emmission car exported to Japan....Without FoxChassis help, I'd have been dead in the water.....

ITZOLD 81 Fox http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-fun-and-games

My
    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    ITZOLD, my Mustang should be a notchback but its a hatchback, coded as a P10 on the vin number as a Notch.

I've run a New Zealand CARJAM report on ITZOLD to secure it perported history.

"The vehicle has been re-registered — de-registered in the past and then registered again.
    Odometer readings are inconsistent and jump backwards sometimes. Possible reasons could include: entry error at an inspection time or border check, or around the clock, or a wound-back odometer. Odometer readings are incorrect? You maybe able to fix it".

The original US Market www.getvin.com report I ran showed vin1FABP10B4CF109967 was an Original order Oct 28 1981, no concers, but no km history, it was exported to Japan but no reference to this......