Close

Thread: F/Z Dew Wipes?

Hybrid View

Default F/Z Dew Wipes?

I'm considering replacing my dew wipes to help my window rattling problem. So, my question is this. I know the early F/Zs came with or without full door panels. I have a buddy without full door panels that bought some from Repops on ebay he was able to use. My car does have full door panels. So which ones do I use? Repops makes no mention of whether any of the varieties they have are for cars with full door panels. It seems unlikely to me they would be the same. What have you guys done to replace yours? From what I've seen no one else makes F/Z dew wipes except Steele Rubber, and they only have the exterior ones. Would Mustang ones work, since Mustangs always had full door panels? Any help would be appreciated!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Hey Brad, here's some moulding and dew wipe part numbers and info from my big ole Mitchell Manual:

Check out those '89 prices! Not certain about Mustang interchange, just that part numbers are different. Hopefully helpful for you
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Wow, that's a lot of information. I'm having a hard time making sense of it. They seem to throw "exc" in there willy nilly and i can't tell what it refers to half the time. And then there will be a group of part numbers where the first line doesn't say either way, but the second one is "R". Does that mean the number on the first line is "L", even though it doesn't say that? Or maybe the first line number is for both sides? Sorry, I'm just not used to looking at this kind of thing. Can you do some interpreting for me? It looks to me like there are different parts for vent window vs. no vent window and sail mirror vs. no sail mirror. I don't know what the "w/bright trim" refers to. Are those the ones for cars with partial door panels? I believe mine has the bright trim separate like your 4th image shows with the full door panel. The bright trim is its own piece. Maybe the bright trim is integrated with the dew wipe on cars with partial door panels?

Thanks for posting!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

"EXC" simply means except, and then the next line is a different application "with". No L or R specified means both sides are the same. These manuals are, or used to be, at body shops for part numbers and for estimating labor times to remove and replace parts... though I have held onto this because it's a wealth of information, parts numbers wise, and for interchange looking around at the different vehicles. Yes, for with vent windows, or that used to be called no-draft windows, the wipes would be shorter pieces, because the glass itself would be narrower, and without vent windows the window glass would be wider. There's nothing listed as to full or partial door panels, so I don't believe there should be any difference when it comes to the dew wipes or how they are retained. Quite welcome

I don't think I have seen a picture of your car to tell whether it has the no-draft windows or not. Lemme know that and I'll break the info down to the exact part numbers that should be what your car requires...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 10-07-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

My car does not have vent windows. It does have sail mirrors on both sides, and full door panels. Looking more closely at them today, it seems like maybe i would need the "with bright trim" because it looks like it attaches to the dew wipe, as opposed to the door panel.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

search ebay for user "bobbyward" he runs yale auto parts in Oklahoma, tell him what you need and he can get it for you.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr Z7 w/87' 5.0/C4 EFI intercooled twin turbo power

1984 Ford LTD wagon w/87' 5.0/4R70W EFI nitrous outlet X-series

There is a fine line between a hobby ...and mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post
    search ebay for user "bobbyward" he runs yale auto parts in Oklahoma, tell him what you need and he can get it for you.
    Thanks! I actually haven't made a move on this yet.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST