Close

Default rear hatch wiring

hey guys can anybody help me id these wires the p.o owner switch hatches and cut the wiring.

theres 5 color wires in the 86 and 7 on the hatch.

Last edited by 86darkside; 10-05-2017 at 12:55 PM.

will look when home later. the heavy wires are Defrost.

3rd brake light

license plate light

link to wiring diagrams

http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...00c1528003db5f
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

that would be correct for the body but the hatch wiring has 7 wires and are diffrent color combo

The hatch that is not original to the car, probably has a third brake light, whereas in your original car it did not. My 1985 doesn't have a 3rd brake light, but I was told that in 1985 to 1987 is where they began to add it. That is most likely the only difference. You should be able to match the heavy wires, heavy black and heavy silver I think (these are defrost, as plumkrazy mentioned), then the red stripe (even if they have different stripes) match up, purple, etc. The last two, brown and whatever the last one is, should be paired on their own, and that is just brake signal and ground.

If your hatch has the brake light, and you want to run it, just run a wire from one of your brake lights, up to the + side of the 3rd brake light (the non-brown wire). If not, you can just let it sit their non-functional, or get a wing that doesn't have 3rd brake light provision, and you are set.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

car is 86 but i get what you mean...thank you.