Close

FEP Member

Default 1982 head lamp wiring

I've been driving this 82 for a few weeks now, working the post race car bugs out. It's dark when I leave in the AM now so I have been using the headlights. I noticed on high beam that one is way out of adjustment, scanning trees for raccoons. I get to where I'm going and decide to adjust them. Someone has replaced the low lamps with dual beam units, the 2 high beam lamps don't even work now. Yet another wiring issue to chase down, I don't even know where to begin to look. I have no idea what the heck they were trying to accomplish.
    Fix one thing, find 2 more.

Guess thats why they are called high beams?

Low lamps towards the outer edge of the front on each side should have 3 connectors. It is a high/low beam bulb

The lamps towards the middle by default should only have two connectors and only operate when the lights are on high beam. You can put three connector bulbs in a 2 connector location as the wires that are there and the connectors used are for high beam.

pretty common these days as many stores only carry the high/low beam bulbs.

test all of your bulbs before you waste too much time on this. Also make sure the two and three wire connectors are in the correct locations.

FEP Member

I did not know the 4 light set up was hard to find. Learn something new every day, literally.
    I will have to replace these as the high beam is way off from the low beam. Silverstars?

Outer lamps are H4651 (low and high). Inner lamps are H4656 (high only).

If you want to stay with sealed beam headlamps get a good quality (good name brand) set made of all glass. If you want to convert to a replaceable bulb get some H1 and H4 "sealed beam conversion" housings with glass lenses. Either way you go, to get the best light output, you'll want to install a headlamp relay kit.

Don't waste your money on Sylvania Silverstar headlamps.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags