Close

Thread: Mustang Coupe

Default Mustang Coupe

Looking for a new driver. I would like a 5.0 with a 5spd and A/C coupe 1979-1986. I have cash for the right car. Would prefer a car with as few mods as possible. Black would be my first color choice.
    Last edited by hcmclean; 10-04-2017 at 09:31 PM.

No V-8 coupes out there?

I have an 85 auto my wife would be thrilled if I sold. You specified 5 speed, so figured you wouldn't be interested. Needs a lot of love, but is completely original and rust free. Motor runs, but smokes. seems pretty low production 2R red, PW, PDL, A/C factory radio am/fm cass. I rescued it for fear that someone would part it out Has sunroof that I suspect is aftermarket. Just doesn't look like ones I have had in the past. If it is they did a great job and doesn't leak. I drove it onto the trailer, so that's all I know. Some crappy pictures in my albums. I would sell for 2200.00

Yeah, kinda want a 5spd. Thanks for the offer.

You want what you want and there is nothing wrong with that but it sure is not all that difficult to change one over to a 5 speed. Done a few. The Autos sell for less and usually are not beat on and then are worth more after you convert them so you get your money back. Just a suggestion. You know what's right for you. Good luck with your search!

I agree with that, seems automatic four eyed foxes and euros are the cleanest lately. And like you said "not beat on", and not in demand, "yet".

Good luck with your search! I will keep an eye out down here for you.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    You want what you want and there is nothing wrong with that but it sure is not all that difficult to change one over to a 5 speed. Done a few. The Autos sell for less and usually are not beat on and then are worth more after you convert them so you get your money back. Just a suggestion. You know what's right for you. Good luck with your search!

Thanks, I have thought about changing an auto over to a 5spd if I found the car I just had to have.

How hard is it to change the pedals over? Other than swapping the cross member and adding a clutch what else is involved?

Pull the center console and the auto and shifter and kickdown
    remove the flex plate
    install piolot bearing or bushing
    get a new flywheel from Mcparts. 50 oz imbalance for a 5.0L. The lighter the better. Autozone has a 21lb flywheel vs factory 30
    install clutch and pressure plate
    Source and install a bellhousing with release fork and throw out bearing
    Either use an adjustable pivot bolt, crank shims, etc - make sure the clutch fork is positioned properly for release and engagement
    swap pedals and install clutch quadrant with adjuster. UPR 3 prong works great but their clutch cables suck
    Bolt up T5
    install driveshaft
    instsll crossmember
    fill T5
    install exhaust
    calculate speedo gear off trans speedo drive gear
    loop the neutral safety switch at the T5
    unloop the clutch release switch under the dash
    Start car and bang gears

Note : clutch cable.... these days a new one is best purchased from Maximum motorsports

i would get an aftermarket shifter with adjustable stops

you need trim inside the car and shifter boots. I'd get

lower boot ... $25
    Hurst comp plus shifter - $45 used usualky
    hurst handle and ball - $50 used usualky
    hurst 85-86 boot kit. The Hurst boot kit includes the correct bezel and is cheaper than stock by far! Don't pay more than $35 for it.

seal the shifter down to the T5 with sealer

i recommend a T5Z for strength and close ratio fun through the gears. 3.90:1 or 4.10 rear gears are about right out of the hole on slicks with 400HP or less and the 2.95:1 1st gear in the z. Z has 0.63:1 OD - same as most 6 speeds.
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-12-2017 at 08:46 PM.

If this car was stock under the hood I would be all over it!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Pull the center console and the auto and shifter and kickdown
    remove the flex plate
    install piolot bearing or bushing
    get a new flywheel from Mcparts. 50 oz imbalance for a 5.0L. The lighter the better. Autozone has a 21lb flywheel vs factory 30
    install clutch and pressure plate
    Source and install a bellhousing with release fork and throw out bearing
    Either use an adjustable pivot bolt, crank shims, etc - make sure the clutch fork is positioned properly for release and engagement
    swap pedals and install clutch quadrant with adjuster. UPR 3 prong works great but their clutch cables suck
    Bolt up T5
    install driveshaft
    instsll crossmember
    fill T5
    install exhaust
    calculate speedo gear off trans speedo drive gear
    loop the neutral safety switch at the T5
    unloop the clutch release switch under the dash
    Start car and bang gears

Note : clutch cable.... these days a new one is best purchased from Maximum motorsports

i would get an aftermarket shifter with adjustable stops

you need trim inside the car and shifter boots. I'd get

lower boot ... $25
    Hurst comp plus shifter - $45 used usualky
    hurst handle and ball - $50 used usualky
    hurst 85-86 boot kit. The Hurst boot kit includes the correct bezel and is cheaper than stock by far! Don't pay more than $35 for it.

seal the shifter down to the T5 with sealer

i recommend a T5Z for strength and close ratio fun through the gears. 3.90:1 or 4.10 rear gears are about right out of the hole on slicks with 400HP or less and the 2.95:1 1st gear in the z. Z has 0.63:1 OD - same as most 6 speeds.
    It sound easy enough, I read that swapping the pedals is a real PIA!! Apart from dropping the steering wheel are there any other tricks to make it go better?

Crap didnt even read all that... lol i just seen a black coupe... my bad

Black coupe is SHARP!

best way to do the pedals if its your first time is to drop the steering column and remove it from the car. its not that bad. the 5 speed pedals bolt right in. not sure how big you are? might also be better to take drivers seat out to make room.

Quote Originally Posted by All Fords View Post
    I have an 85 auto my wife would be thrilled if I sold. You specified 5 speed, so figured you wouldn't be interested. Needs a lot of love, but is completely original and rust free. Motor runs, but smokes. seems pretty low production 2R red, PW, PDL, A/C factory radio am/fm cass. I rescued it for fear that someone would part it out Has sunroof that I suspect is aftermarket. Just doesn't look like ones I have had in the past. If it is they did a great job and doesn't leak. I drove it onto the trailer, so that's all I know. Some crappy pictures in my albums. I would sell for 2200.00
    I'm in Darlington, right down the street. I'm interested in your coupe.

Hello Ford Fanatic. sent you a private message, thanks