Close

Default Suspension update (Finished Results!!!)

Hey guys I'm wanting to update my shocks/springs/struts on my 86 LX vert 5.0 and having a hard time finding many options out there. Most of them for 87-93. I'm not wanting to lower just want to restore the factory suspension. I tried searching forums and it keeps saying "Data base Error." Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Soulowd; 10-16-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Are your springs bad? Springs rarely go bad - other than breaking.

Verts had different springs. So, imho, you're screwed if you want new OEM springs.
    You could use GT springs and poly bushings. The poly bushings will add ~~1/4" over a new rubber bushing (one it compresses after ~2 weeks). That wil help to restore the vert to factory OEM height.

As for shocks, struts, it depends on your budget and desires. Adjustable Koni are very good, and not cheap. I went with the adjustable Toks. That way, I could try the different settings, to find a setting that *I* like the best.

Of course, with a coil-over setup ($$$), you can get slightly stiffer springs, and a slightly better ride, and adjust the height to your desire.
    You can have a slightly stiffer springs and a slightly better ride for coil-overs, because of the motion-ratio.
    If you want to go that route, call MM, and get what they suggest. Imho, it's not worth the cost and/or the hack-to-fit risks to buy from anyone else.

Good Luck!

I'm thinking about changing my 85 Saleen spindles rotors and breaks over to 87-93 V8 setup so I have a much wider choice of front struts. Plus it gives you a 1 inch bigger brake rotor.

It really depends upon what you want to do with the car.

if you want to put together a car that is great to drive and handles outstandingly well, copy the 1993 Cobra.

GT springs in front
    LX 4 cyl springs in rear
    stock replacement shocks and struts
    remove rear sway bar
    caster/camber plates - max caster, -1.75 camber, 1/16" toe in. Should be great as long as it's tight to start with

FEP Senior Member

I just rebuild the suspension on an 86 Mustang GT and I went with the following parts-
    1) Ford Racing lower control arms
    2) Ford Racing "B" springs
    3) Poly Isolators for springs
    4) Eibach shock and strut kit
    5) Bilstein quad shocks

My reason for selecting all of the parts above is because I wanted a stock ride height with improved ride quality. The "B" springs are pretty much a stock replacement spring. They have the same rates at factory V8 springs. They ever so slightly lower the car and using poly isolators pretty much negated any lowering of the car. The Eiback shocks and struts are great pieces and are designed specifically for the 79-86 cars. My 86 rides unbelievable with this suspension. Consider subframe connectors if your vert doesn't have them.

Weld them in before you break your windshield!

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Yes I basically want stock height and it to handle/ride really smooth so I can just cruise and be comfortable. Money isn't a huge factor just want it done right. All I know is right it rides like crap.

My 85 GT vert had the original struts and shocks on it and they were really worn out and the car rode like being on a horse...bumpity, bumpity, bump...;-) I replaced the struts and shocks with the idea that I may need to go farther...it's a whole different car! I utilized the Monroe Sensa-Trak units and found through research that there really is no difference between the pre and post 87 units other than the front strut mounting hole size...but there should be a spacer included. I can't remember but think that spacer was for the later years. I say try the struts and shocks first as they are easy to do, and then go from there.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

The biggest thing if you want a decent ride quality on a foxbody is the rear springs. They are from the factory rediculously stiff. Near the rate of the 1993 Cobra R factory track car.

You have the the same stiffness problem with both sway bars.

1) Go to 87-93 4 cyl LX springs in back -- those are the same rate as the street version of the 93 cobra. That car rides and handles better than our TRX and GT and LX sport cars because the suspension was more balanced and binds less

2) Ditch the rear sway bar.
    -- The rate of the factory front swaybar by itself is very near the rate of front plus rear on the 93 cobra street car version.
    -- The disadvantage of a rear sway bar is increased rear suspension bind and therefore (horribly) amplified snap-steer tendencies which will put you in a circle in no time flat on wet or icy roads.

I have over 455K in my 86GT - not sure how I survived it's horrible handling tendencies before I corrected them! I have completely rebuilt the suspension under it recently. You can get better performance with adjustable shocks or coilover setups but ride quality wise parts in the stock parts bin work great. Stock front springs, 4cyl rear springs -- low miles used units.

Put on new factory spec shocks and struts. I've had both Gabriel and Monroe on mine in the past. They were both good. The monroes were in better shape at 200K miles than the stock units were at 80K or the Gabriel's were at 150K FYI. But replacement recommendations are every 50K so I can't complain about any of them.

if you don't plan to drive really fast and want a nicer ride, ditch the HR+4 or V rated speed tires. Get a softer sidewalk like an S rated tire. Cooper Cobra GT is available as an S.

also you can stick with smaller diameter rims too as that softens the sidewall more.

Openly, I'm running 17" rims with 95GT spec V rated tires 245/45/17 and my car still rides many orders of magnitude better than it did stock and handles far better than it did from the factory too. Before and after for me is as simple as getting out of my 86GT and into my son's stock 86GT. Condition of the suspensions in both cars is excellent so it really a testament to the results.

Having driven both my car and a 93 Cobra I am certain as it sits it could outperform one in braking and handling even though my foxbody Mustang rides about closer to my Lincoln truck than a stock GT car.

I do run 1995 spindles in front and bigger SN95 brakes all the way around but those are not of significant weight difference vs the stock parts. Reducing unsprung weight does improve both performance and ride quality, fyi

The last upgrade I plan to do on my 86GT is a panhard bar. Once that is in I might evaluate putting on a lighter sway in front and look at introducing some antisway in the rear again. But I doubt it! Being able to roll out on the clutch then stand on the gas while going across the median and turning left in a car with over 300 lbs of torque under the hood is quite foreign as it would always kick out the backend horribly before .... but it's a laugh per minute and an absolute joy to drive.

You could beat the crap out of a stocker and somewhat be effective at trying to keep up with my car being pretty leisurely driven through the city but odds are you will struggle. My son can attest to it. I simply don't have to slow down in so many places that a stocker does and the car makes it look easy. From the drivers seat it is.

I suspect this soft cruising ride capability while handling like a more modern car is what you might be after.
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-06-2017 at 11:34 PM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-KYB-FRONT....c100033.m2042

what do you guys think about these? nothing fancy but i have always had decent luck with KYB. Also, it says GT but should fit an LX right? i see it on the compatible sheet...Anyways thought?

FEP Member

I've always had good luck with KYB's as well, but have never used those on a fox. KYB's are typically a good quality shock. I have a brand new set of KYB AGX adjustables in the parts room for my Fairmont right now. Pretty decent price for an adjustable with KYB quality, hope they work as good as I expect them to.

I also like the KYB AGX series
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Forgot to mention - there are major advantages to removing the fox bump stop and going to SN95 rear shocks. In front fox struts are hugely desireable vs SN95's.

A single adjustable setup would give you a lot of flexibility.

hey guys just an update I did end up going with the KYB Shocks/struts and they turned out awesome! rides like it should. I also replaced the left inner tie rod because there was a ton of play in it and also front stabilizer links because one was completely missing lol Also replaced some brake hoses because they looked like death pending and flushed the brake fluid and adjusted rear brakes. The difference is awesome. I was on the highway doing 80 not even realizing till I looked down. before if I tried that I would be in the hospital from not making the first turn. Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 3.32.31 PM.png
Views: 198
Size:  525.7 KBName:  Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 3.32.01 PM.png
Views: 200
Size:  338.5 KBName:  Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 3.32.50 PM.png
Views: 199
Size:  341.3 KB

Great news.

if you have a little time, take the four bolts out that hold your rear swaybar and remove it then take it for another drive. See what you think. There's another thread discussing it- am curious what your results would be.

We are loving it on my son's mostly stock 86GT ragtop and my 86GT hatchback also. It's even better on my car with the 4cyl LX springs in place but it's great on his too.

Glad to hear. When mine was finished I also took it for a spin. Jumped up on the freeway and just started cruising to see what gives. Car was as smooth as glass, look down and I'm doing 85 mph.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Monroe Sensa-Trak units...A GREAT damper unit.

If done right, a Fox really has a ride much smoother than you'd expect. Converts don't have much torsional strenght, so they don't ride brilliant, but some good gas pressure shocks, and especially ride sensitive Sensa-Trak's...great choice

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    I'm looking at new shocks at the back. There doesn't appear to be a specific damper rate, as the supplies listed both in the USA and here are also one size fits all for about nine different other models. Does Ford just use the spring rate and ride specs to tune suspension, and not the shocks? I know thats how GM Australia did all there suspension tuning, pretty much with either a strandard spring or a standard damper unit, and then variations of ancillaries to fine tune.

Are all the lower tier Foxes pretty much the same shock absorber, with fine tune by coil spring and stabilizer, slapper bar, Sports TRX / Sports Suspension bushes, Quadra shock etc?

I've noted that Monroe # 5847 OE Spectrum Passenger Car and #33097 Monro-Matic Plus is the common replacement for:-

FORD FAIRMONT (1978 - 1983)
    FORD GRANADA (1981 - 1982)
    FORD LTD (1983 - 1986)
    FORD LTD CROWN VICTORIA (1983 - 1986)
    FORD MUSTANG (1979 - 1993)
    MERCURY CAPRI (1979 - 1986)
    MERCURY COUGAR (1981 - 1982)
    MERCURY MARQUIS (1983 - 1986)
    MERCURY ZEPHYR (1978 - 1983)

The PO got # 15-3137 series Monroe Tenneco Australian GT Gas Pressure 230603 A replacements before, they are a standard

1964 to 1972 AMC Rambler/Javelin

1978-1993 HOLDEN Commodore VB, VC, VH, VK, VL, VN, VP,
    1993-07/1997 HOLDEN Commodore/Calias VR, VS V6 & V8

1964 to 74 TOYOTA Corona RT40, RT80, RT81, RT82
    1972 to 1977 TOYOTA Corona MK II 6 cyl Sedan
    1975 to 1981 TOYOTA Corolla KE30, KE35, KE40, KE45, KE50, KE55, KE60, KE65

12/1976 to 08/1980 TOYOTA Cressida MX36 2.6liter
    09/1982 to 07/1984 TOYOTA Cressida MX62 2.8 liter
    1971-1983 TOYOTA Toyo-ace Van

Attachment 82205

Attachment 82206

Attachment 82207