Close

Default Running Ram Air through Bright lights holes

Has anyone ran a ram air setup through the hi beam headlight holes? If so how did you mount your header panel after cutting it? Any help and pics if possible would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fog lights are easier

FEP Member

Thinking of doing this with my Fairmont down the road when I go twin turbo. Hope you post up pics of what you do as I'll be truing to figure out how to set mine up like this as well. Lots of other work to do before I get to that point though.

Other than providing cool ambient air instead of the heated air in the engine compartment, there would be little benefit. Ram air horsepower gain is pretty much a myth. The speed needed to produce any significant forcing of air into the engine is far beyond what any street car could hope to sustain. The ram air scoops and such from the muscle car era were largely just marketing and styling.

X2.

I hate seeing someone pop their hood and they have a nice shinny $200 intake tubing with a filter open in the engine bay. Waste of money.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Other than providing cool ambient air instead of the heated air in the engine compartment, there would be little benefit. Ram air horsepower gain is pretty much a myth. The speed needed to produce any significant forcing of air into the engine is far beyond what any street car could hope to sustain. The ram air scoops and such from the muscle car era were largely just marketing and styling.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

FEP Member

Cool intake air makes more power than hot under hood air. That is one reason all cars for years have come from the factory with intakes drawing air from outside the engine bay. Arguably once at highway speeds there is enough air movement under the hood that really high IAT's are not a huge factor with under hood intakes, but every little bit helps bit helps. On a hot day when idling or multiple short drives intake air can make a noticeable difference in performance. Also, some of us do like to go fast enough that it makes a difference. I'll probably never go over 150 in my Fairmont, but there is a reason my other car came with a 220 mph speedometer!

Stock fuelie air box is good for over 400hp before it becomes a restriction. Some people just like chrome.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I agree about the crappy piping. What Im doing is an idea I’ve wanted to do for years. I’ve got a nice 84 coupe no option car. Manual everything including steering and brakes. No ac. Car didn’t even come with a passenger mirror. So my plans are an 84 20th Anniversary coupe that would have been a drag pack if Ford would’ve built one. Im going period correct and I have been fortunate enough to have great friends on here that have helped me find some very rare parts to do this. A 84 Gt350R if you would say. I have renderings done. My thought was to do ram air like the old Thunderbolts. It’s going to be a 351w 5 spd 3.90-4.30 rear. Heres some pics. Wheels aren’t period correct but I’m going with a different wheel.

This is what I have in mind.

I did it years ago on my ole 82 GT...well, sort of. I connected the end of the fresh air pickup tube there in the front fender to the stock outside air dam void via an air intake pickup from a Z-28. I did notice a little difference at highway speeds but that was about it. One thing to be sure of is that no water can get sucked into the plenum such that you don't hydraulic the motor.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Yeah. Great point.