Close

Default Tired of the light fluctuation in the RS Capri.

Is there a way to remedy the light fluctuation on our cars? I have noticed that the more things I add that have lights to my car the more annoying this is getting. Just finished installing and testing the new pillar gauges. When ever I am driving at night I can see the lights dim on the dash and gauges on my car when the RPM drops and if I have the stereo cranked, I can see the lights dim with the bass hits when idling at a light. It has been like this as long as I can remember but only now as I get older has it become more annoying. I am pretty sure the head lights and fog lights dim a little too at idle.

Is this an expensive fix or something I can do for a reasonable cost? Is it a simple fix or does it require a PHD to do? Keep in mind, car electrical is not one of my strong points so I steer clear whenever possible. I am always worried something I wired will burn my car to the ground!

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Bigger alternator.

If you have not yet converted to a 3g alternator, I would highly recommend it.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

You either need a bigger alternator or you need to spin it faster (overdrive pulley).

Underdriving an alternator doesn't really free up any power. When you spin it slower, the regulator will put more current through the field to maintain a constant output so it's harder to turn. Likewise, overdriving an alternator doesn't cost any power. Spin it faster and less field current is required so it's easier to spin. You are trading torque for RPM but required power stays pretty much the same.

Overdriving the alternator is the easiest solution to low RPM charging issues. The only downside is if the engine spends a lot of time at redline then you can burn up the alternator bearings. In which case you would need to underdrive the alternator to save the bearings, then upgrade to a larger alternator to maintain full output at low RPM.

I am currently running a Powermaster 150 amp 3G alternator. I am also unfortunately running an ASP under drive pulley on it as well. I will need to start looking for a red anodized pulley to replace it I guess. Any other things that can cause this problem?

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

I'm not familiar with the Powermaster alternator but do know from playing with motorcycle charging systems that aftermarket "high output" alternators often sacrifice low rpm output to increase the maximum output power rating. One trick is to rewind the stator from a "star" configuration to "delta". Output at high rpm goes up and low rpm output goes way down. Again, I have no idea if this is relevant to your alternator or not, just throwing it out there.

If the problem can't be fixed with pulleys then you may want to try a "stock" 3G alternator just to see if it makes any difference.

FEP Power Member

You might want to try replacing the head light switch as the dimmer circuit controls the dash light brightness. The rotary contact gets dirty with age.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I got a PA Performance alternator. They have a higher output at idle than factory or many other of the "high output" alternators. That's important if someone wants to run a dual fan or MKVII fan, plus lights, plus rear window defogger, plus wipers, plus AC, all while sitting in afternoon traffic that isn't going anywhere, and it's Hot Hazy Humid and it's raining.

Output Graph in the following article:
    http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...nce/index1.php

Upgrade all the cables. From the factory, 3g cars all had 8 gauge or bigger cables. I added 6 gauge because they were the same price. Also clean and check all grounds. The grounding is just as, if not more important and often overlooked. Last thing I would also do is run a larger battery. The battery should be a start and recharge only thing. But it also acts as a capacitor when you are pulling too much power with subs.

If you don't have at least 6 gauge power and ground cables, I'd start there.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

FEP Super Member

Do a relay retrofit to the head lights .
    Cheap , and you can buy harnesses with the relys that are plug and play .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I have a 20+ year old power hungry amplifier in my car with a 65A alternator. I have an 850CCA battery, and a half farad stiffening cap I bought for like $30. Even with a 550CCA battery, and the cap, there was very slight dimming with the stereo loud. Almost completely gone with the current setup.

Quote Originally Posted by cb650 View Post
    what is a good kit to buy?
    Here is what I would recommend.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HR-58
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller