Close

FEP Member

Default Intake back firing

84 led lx 5.0 SEFI t5.
    The car ran great before. After a year of rebuilding the rear end and transmission it has developed an intake backfire. It seems to bog down when you launch it from a dead stop, and when you are driving along in 2 or 3 gear and go full throttle you get intake back firing. According to what I have found on the internet it could be timing, bad O2 sensors, vacuum leaks or stuck exhaust valves. I Rechecked the timing, looked for vacuum leaks. I will run the codes to see if o2 sensors show up.
    What is involved in checking the exhaust valves.

FEP User
    Vancouver BC Canada 20 minutes to border !

Blown leaky POWER VALVE in your carb has been the problem some of the time and is a relatively easy cheap fix clean passages and replace

FEP Member

It is a fuel injected engine

Throttle position sensor comes to mind.

Or codes, aren't the 84 motors eec-iv?
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

lean condition or timing events wrong
    check for vacuum leaks and timing
    1986 GT T Top- stock except for magnaflow cat back
    1990 LX vert- 500hp V3 and all that stuff
    2013 GT- usual bolt ons

FEP Member

That is what I figured. I have checked for vacuum leaks, there may be one that I have not found. I need to go back and recheck everything on the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
    That is what I figured. I have checked for vacuum leaks, there may be one that I have not found. I need to go back and recheck everything on the timing.
    Is it a pop or an actual backfire? If it is popping, it sounds lean, like it's not getting enough fuel. If it's an actual backfire, you may have a deeper problem. Checking the vacuum with a gauge is a great way of checking general engine health. You can find charts online of what normal vacuum should be, and what you see when there is a problem.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by blueox76 View Post
    Is it a pop or an actual backfire? If it is popping, it sounds lean, like it's not getting enough fuel. If it's an actual backfire, you may have a deeper problem. Checking the vacuum with a gauge is a great way of checking general engine health. You can find charts online of what normal vacuum should be, and what you see when there is a problem.
    I have been sidetracked by a major water leak in my house, so I haven't spent anytime on the ltd. I did notice that my adjustable aeromotive fuel pressure regulator is not adjusting. It seems stuck on 35 lbs.

Make sure the ignition timing was set with the SPOUT connector removed. And I would also verify that
    the outer ring on the crank damper still shows true TDC.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

FEP Member

Default ECT sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
    While checking on my intake backfiring problem, I made sure I had power to all of my injectors. All injectors were fine, but The test light showed no power to the ECT sensor. Any ideas?