Close

Default how rare is my mustang?

how rare is my mustang cobra? it is a '79 it is maroon/brown with red and tan interrior with factory installed louvers and a sport steering wheel manual transmission and a 302/5.0L 8cyl engine with a 2 barrel carb. sunroof no spoiler and trx wheels, tires and suspension it is ALL stock except for the speakers the tires and suspension have NEVER been changed i have been told that there were only 7,000 made but i want to know how many were 2.3L turbo powered and how many were 5.0L powered and if anyone can tell me some of the information my buck tag says i would like to know where i can get some information like a book or a website or something i know for a fact it is a cobra. what does ghia mean? is that like a model that replaced the gt? how many mustangs were made in '79? with 8cyl in them? i would apretiate all the information i can get on my car! and the entire year of it also thanks!
    Jake

Blog Entries

Default Re: how rare is my mustang?

Quote Originally Posted by 79cobra502lx0
    how rare is my mustang cobra? it is a '79 it is maroon/brown with red and tan interrior with factory installed louvers and a sport steering wheel manual transmission and a 302/5.0L 8cyl engine with a 2 barrel carb. sunroof no spoiler and trx wheels, tires and suspension it is ALL stock except for the speakers the tires and suspension have NEVER been changed i have been told that there were only 7,000 made but i want to know how many were 2.3L turbo powered and how many were 5.0L powered and if anyone can tell me some of the information my buck tag says i would like to know where i can get some information like a book or a website or something i know for a fact it is a cobra. what does ghia mean? is that like a model that replaced the gt? how many mustangs were made in '79? with 8cyl in them? i would apretiate all the information i can get on my car! and the entire year of it also thanks!
    The 7,000 79 Cobras made is all I've seen so far. Ford barely has numbers according to body style and engine out, there's nothing concrete out about paint, interior, etc. The Cobra was really the pre-GT. It was the performance offering, not exactly limited edition like the SVT Cobras. The Ghia was the top of the line luxury offering. A trim level just like LX, GT, etc.

Check out these two threads: http://foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/view...0cb9c51f2dbde9

And:
    http://foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/view...0cb9c51f2dbde9

As far as buck tag, if you can scan it, I can grab up my various books and go to work. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit that's totally unknown on the tags (many codes were used internally and never had the meanings released), and I typically crack open 2-3 books to check out all the possibilities on the buck tag.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Hi, I can tell you by the Buck Tag. If it says CBR in the Buck Tag it is a True Cobra. There are other ways too, like the "Engine Turned" Dash Bezels which are only used in the Pace Car's and Cobra's. The passenger dash Bezel has a Cobra Emblem as well as ones on both door panels.

Take care,
    David

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Cool, TWO new '79 Cobra owners on here! Welcome guys! '79cobra 502lx0, I've corresponded with you over at All Ford Mustang .com. I'm glad that you've made it over to this site. 79 mustang cobra, I think that I may have had contact with you a little over a year ago, but I'm not sure. Is your car the one I've seen under the carport? Regardless, it's great to have you here. You'll both like this site, as there's NEVER any flame wars, or stupid answers to your questions. Also, 1979 Cobras had body colored sail panels and hood scoops (but I've seen black scoops as well), not to mention the "COBRA" decals on each door. the hood decal was optional.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38