Close

Default 2 gauges 3d printed radio bezel

After a few years with my Pace Car collecting dust waiting for a new engine, it's back on the road again.

Back in the days, I installed two gauges in the radio tray (without cutting anything of course) ... it was done with some plywood and vinyl sheet ... not great, but it did the job and couldn't do better then. Now I have a 3D printer and couldn't resist to make something a bit better. So I took the original radio bezel I preciously kept, did some sketches on Freecad et voila :

Of course it's far from perfect ... my printer has a too small bed to print it at once, and only print it in low-res to test-fit, but it worked and it'll do until I upgrade my printer.

If you happen to have a 3D printer, my design is free for use.
    http:// https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2471206
    Better use ABS or PETG ... PLA won't do the job in summer. Will require some double-sided tape on the back too, the locating tabs just locate the bezel, and there's of course no radio knobs to stick it to the dash.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Hit it with some acetone to get rid of the sharp edges and ridges.

Cool deal. My dad has about 10 functional 3d printers. We mainly make model airplane parts.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Sanding would be better to keep the texture of the center pad, which is different but reminds the intrument cluster's texture.

Next month I should be able to print it at once on PETG, a bit stronger than ABS and more heat resistant. Can't be post-treated with acetone though but sands well and with some filler primer, should give a pretty result.
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Bump up the shell thickness and you won't see the infill pattern anymore!