Close

Default 86 GT Rear Control Arms

Hi all,
    I had replaced the Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms with the after market type, [can't remember the brand, cheapies] only to find them chewed out after a few hundred miles. Reading from previous posts, there could have been a few reasons for this, incorrect weight on the vehicle when tightening or possibly spring positions not equally rotated to match each side. Also from the posts, most seem to recommend the Maximum Rear Lower Control Arms and Maximum have a remake of the Stock Uppers with rubber bushings. My uppers seem to be good, no signs of perished rubbers.
    I rate my choices, as A - Maximum Lowers and use the Stock Uppers. Possible equal with A - Whiteline upper and Lowers, as these have a lifetime guarantee on the bushes, or C - Summit Racing, self branded, which have replacement bushes available.
    Would anyone like to add their views?
    My Mustangs home is Australia, is not punching out high horsepower, [a little over stock], and street drives only.

I've used cheap to high dollar race, never had an issue with the stock style bushings. I have tightened the bolts down while the rear was hanging, and while being supported to represent ride height. Perhaps you got unlucky and got some defective bushings? Did you use the silicone / grease on them (was it supplied)?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Not sure on the Grease, don't think any was supplied as it was some time back when I replaced them. The bolts thru the sleeves had sufficient grease. The vehicle has only been registered for road use since Xmas, previously was in restore mode.

IMHO the stock upper control arms with new/good rubber bushings and a set of Maximum Motorsports rear lower control arms is the best stock style setup for most Foxes.

Poly bushings at both ends of the rear lower and/or ANY poly in the uppers is a bad combination that doesn't improve ride or handling in my experience. No experience with Whiteline or the Summit brand so I can't comment on those. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

On my 84 GT, I rebuilt the stock upper arms using new MOOG rubber bushings on both ends. For the lowers, I used SVE arms from LMR as they were fairly cheap and claimed to utilize a natural rubber compound in their bushings instead of poly. I did make sure that I lubed the aftermarket bushings well with a PTFE lube before install. When I installed them, I lightly tightened everything down and drove it around slowly for a bit to help settle the suspension before final torque, which was done at ride height and with the full weight on the car.

To date, I have had no issues and the bushings look as they did when I installed.

I would check the following areas:
    1) Ensure the spring pigtails are both facing in the right direction. Typically the lower end of the springs pigtail should be at the rear facing the drivers side of the car. There is a lot of talk about this as some people have to clock them differently to achieve a level ride height. Not sure how important this is to bushing life though.
    2) Check the mounting points of the arms. If the holes are reamed out and oblong, or the bolts are damaged, this can create extra twist in the area and cause premature failure.
    3) Check the fitment of the bushings. If they fit extremely tight, they may need to be trimmed to fit. This happens a lot on poly bushings as they tend to grow upon installation. If the bushing is longer than the sleeve that goes through them, they will rub, bind and ultimately get chewed up and fail. The sleeve that runs through them should be equal to a hair longer than the bushing.
    4) If using poly bushings, make sure they are fully lubed, inside and outside, with a PTFE lube. The more the merrier in this case to help with the bushings movement.
    5) Ensure everything is torqued to spec with the car at ride height and full weight on it.

Not sure if any of this helps, but it is where I would start.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I chose the Whiteline, because as it turned out, they are made in Australia, which reduced my shipping costs to nil and also the Lifetime Guarantee on the bushes, was to good to ignore. Have installed the Lower Arms with the Stock Uppers, as the Whiteline Uppers are on Back Order.
    This time, paid a lot more attention to the installation and followed the points as advised by 84 StangSVT. Very Happy thus far and will report back in approx 6-8 weeks time, when the uppers have been installed, as to how much different, if any, the car feels using the Whiteline Uppers.
    Name:  Lowe Control Arm Right.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  Lower Control Arm Left.jpg
Size:  119.7 KB

Many thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mikes in australia View Post
    I chose the Whiteline, because as it turned out, they are made in Australia, which reduced my shipping costs to nil and also the Lifetime Guarantee on the bushes, was to good to ignore. Have installed the Lower Arms with the Stock Uppers, as the Whiteline Uppers are on Back Order.
    This time, paid a lot more attention to the installation and followed the points as advised by 84 StangSVT. Very Happy thus far and will report back in approx 6-8 weeks time, when the uppers have been installed, as to how much different, if any, the car feels using the Whiteline Uppers.
    Name:  Lowe Control Arm Right.jpg
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  Lower Control Arm Left.jpg
Size:  119.7 KB

Many thanks for your help.
    The underneath of your car is as derailed and as clean as I have seen. Nice work

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I was gonna say the same thing about the underside of his car... super clean. Good luck finding one that clean around here. Most of them were undercoated and those that werent are rusty as sin! Keep us posted on the install of the uppers.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

Have now installed the Whiteline uppers and all seems very good, possibly a little harder ride than with the stock uppers, but would say, hardly noticeable. The car rides much better, softer, than with the previous poly bushed upper and lowers. Happy with the result.
    Thanks on the comments to the underside of the car, did not intend to initially go to that extent, but opened up a can of worms, petrol on a rag to clean away grime somewhere at the front of the car and well, then, had to continue, as the fuel on the rag also took off the paint back to the primer.

Have now installed the Whiteline uppers and all seems very good, possibly a little harder ride than with the stock uppers, but would say, hardly noticeable. The car rides much better, softer, than with the previous poly bushed upper and lowers. Happy with the result.
    Thanks on the comments to the underside of the car, did not intend to initially go to that extent, but opened up a can of worms, petrol on a rag to clean away grime somewhere at the front of the car and well, then, had to continue, as the fuel on the rag also took off the paint back to the primer.

I would ditch that rear swaybar in a heartbeat. Try it and see if you agree.