Close

Thread: Junkyard Boost

Default Junkyard Boost

I'm sure some of you are running boost on your cars.

Whats the most cost effective and reliable and potent junkyard boost setup you've seen?
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Road kill got 550hp and 600ftlbs out of a powerstroke turbo on an almost bone stock 87 gt block. Stock heads and cam, carbed intake. Stock shorty headers with flanges cut off for the turbo piping.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

That's about as awesome as the old minivan turbo on an Omni trick Hotrod did back in the 80's. Ran 10's.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    That's about as awesome as the old minivan turbo on an Omni trick Hotrod did back in the 80's. Ran 10's.
    I think it was the other way...or at least I have seen it the other way. A Dodge omni turbo engine in a minivan. Said it ate transaxels like I eat potato chips!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I have considered buying an upgraded Turbo for my 2004 F250 and keeping my old turbo and using it on one of my Foxes. Might be pretty cool, but haven't been able to pull the trigger just yet!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Creative idea.

We should be able to run twins on a 5.0 if we source the turbos from a 2.3-2.7L motor and both turbos are the same.

The 83-86 turbo coupe and xr7 turbos bolt on to stock stang shorties with a bit of grinding. Really though, single turbo setups are easier to work with and cheaper in the long run.

Check out www.toohighpsi.com

The 3.8 m90 off the supercoupe is the route I wanna take. 2" exhaust tubing with a flange bolts right up. Bbk sold a similar setup called the instacharger. It relocated the alternator and used an m90 as a remote mount. Lots of guys were making 350-400rwhp on a stock shortblock.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

There was a guy in muscle mustangs and fast fords running a turbo off of a John Deere tractor. If memory serves he was also running a 5.4L. Talk about a ton of work!

A key to any build like this is stuff being readily available in a yard. F series truck turbos are, but they might be pricey.

Hey -- I wonder if a pair of WRX turbos would have a hope of working... wait, would our cars sound god-awful like that with them? (Lol)

A coworker had a 3000GT he was always bragging about until he totaled it...... would be hilarious to find his turbos and put them on a tired old pony. Might need 4 of them instead of two since they didn't quite have a motor to speak of. 3.0L.... "but he can stroke it to 3.5" - lol.

Are the turbos what are supposed to make those cars fast, or the tiny pissant motors what make them slow? Can't remember. Lol