Close

Default Stock tach wiring - 79'

Hey guys
    Been doing some tinkering, and I managed to get the gauge lights working, but now my tach doesn't work.

I am assuming it has to do with the single loose wire with a female push on connection on it, and I assume that it goes on one of the threaded posts on the back of the cluster, but I'd rather not use the poke and pray technique (doesn't work well in a number of circumstances unfortunately)

Help is appreciated as always.

If I'm not mistaking the OEM Tach also uses a fuse in the fuse panel.
    1981 Mustang Coupe: Rebuilt 91/306, Ported E7's, TF Spring kit, E-303 Cam, RPM Intake, Eddy 1406 Carb, FMS Dual Roller Timing set, March UD pulleys, Summit LT Headers, Summit 2-1/2" Chambered Mufflers w/ 2-1/2" FlowTech H-Pipe/ Flowtubes & 2-1/2" LMR SS Tailpipes. C4 trans with 8.8/ 2.73 Rear.

I'll check that out in my late night shop shenanigans tonight, thank you for the tip. Also going to be printing out the wiring diagrams that are on the site at work tomorrow so I can pull them out when I'm digging into this car over the winter.

Did you get the tach working? If you pulled the dash pod to replace, check bulbs, you may want to just reseat the connector. The connectors are difficult to remove and reconnect. One side of the connector will seat and the other end may not be quite seated.

No, ended up sitting on my butt listening to a scanner and conversing with associates during nighttime shop time.

I know what you mean, those plugs can certainly be a pain to get to, especially with my big meathooks! I'll probably get to it this coming weekend assuming I don't have another vehicle in the shop for something.

Let me know, I have an 1978 Fairmont, with a 1984 Mustang dash with tach. I'm presently removing this and installing Auto Meter gages, have the dash torn apart, and can help with wire colors and connectors and picx. Have a few schematics laying around. think we can get it fixed.

Hokay! I did some digging before work here and pulled the cluster out. You'd think this would get easier each time, but I always end up with a new cut somewhere.

Here's what I've got
    This is the wire in question. It's black/green, and appears to be set to push onto a threaded post.

Here's my problem, these are the only posts that it would go to, and there's 3 of them...

Ignore my handywork with the writing, was chasing the illumination problem last time I was in here...

Looks blue in the pic doesn't it? I'll have to take another look tomorrow before work. Light may have been messing with me either way.

Have you solved your tach problem? That lone wire doesn't hook into the pod, I'm not sure where it goes. Where I would guess that the problem may be is a pulled wire from the connector, or the connector not seated. The wire that feeds into the connector can also pop or pull free, not fully seated in the connector. If you need actual wire locations, I can help with that also, my original dash pod is out of the car at present, and I can identify the wires and their connections.

I guess fudd is gone but here is the answer:

The wire is BLK/LGRN D (black with light green dots) and it comes from the low fuel warning module and plugs onto the fuel gauge stud that is connected to the IVR (other stud is connected to the sender).

Paul

And well gee shucks I answered the same exact question in 2016:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-connector-for post 4
    Last edited by Paul1958; 11-18-2017 at 11:48 PM.