Close

Default Engine build tips

This article is a good start.
    http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...ding-mistakes/

What does experience say to add?

My thoughts:

reuse of torque yield fasteners. Always buy new ARP fasteners for critical areas
    - rod bolts and nuts
    - main bearing bolts
    - head bolts

Always use a product that both seals and lubricates for fasteners going in wet areas. Important for head bolts, water pump, etc

Lack of valve control - Trying to run too much or not enough valve spring pressure for the lifters vs oil pressure vs RPM
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Lots of good advice in that article.

A little weird that they worry about the dust from dead, flaking skin and hair getting in the engine, but then say to use paper towels.

Or, maybe I've been worried about lint from paper towels for nothing ?

Anyway, I use disposable paper coffee filters for a cheap, lint free towel.

If any tips or reminders here or in the article saves one member from catostrophy during a build it's so worth it!

Yea - paper towels end up in the oil pickup screen and cause screen bypass valve to open. Then bad stuff gets sucked into the oil pump and goes through the bearings.

I don't even use shop towels let alone paper towels!!

I had issues with end thrust on my 331 I put together recently. Make sure to get it set properly.

Also had issues with a water pump gasket being very close to correct, but not correct at all. Pay careful attention to that, I was very frustrated.