Close

Default Which set of pulleys

I have two sets of pulleys, and trying to determine which one to run in my car. I honestly think the set that has shoulders on water pump pulley is probably the best, but thought I would see if it matters, or if anyone else thinks the other set is the better set to run. They are both in need of some cleanup.

Thanks

Name:  20170928_222103_resized.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  131.5 KB
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Dean:

If you have shoulders on the crank and alternator pulleys, how would the belt come off of an un-shouldered water pump unless the tensioner died?

IMHO, pick the nicest set.

Mike

Good point Mike. I did forget to mention that I'm running without a tensioner, using a tension/turnbuckle rod with brackets. Should be fine though since the PS pulley has a shoulder as well.

Thx
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Every car I've had has a smooth water pump pulley from the factory.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I have factory pulleys with both ridge and smooth designs. I have always ran the ridge design pulleys. It's not required but it's cheap insurance. I've seen belts come off - especially on non tensioner setups - when some pulleys are minus the ridge.

Personally I'd run the ridge because it's always worked well for me.

Agreed that ribbed is the way to go, although either will work fine. You might want to do the 3G upgrade so you dont end up with low voltage at idle.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999