Close

Default Blower output weak

I have an 86 5.0, and the HVAC blower isn't as strong as it should be. If I put it on low, you can feel it barely through all vents, as I increase it to MAX it does increase, but it's probably 1/3 what it should be through the range. This goes for vents, defrost and floor. I'm under the impression when the resistor goes, it just stops working. Does it sound like the resistor could be partially working, or possibly a bad or failing blower motor? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

I would blame the motor. Is it noisy? I'm thinking it might just be gummed up and a few drops of light oil may free it up to spin faster.

No noise, just about 1/3 of the output I expect.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

My 86 cougar blower was really weak, but still worked okay. Never made any noise until the resistor went. After it died, when I pulled the motor out, the shaft on one end had over 1" of play. I took it apart, it had eaten completely through the bushing and was starting to tear through the motor housing.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Thanks Haystack.. I have to say I've never replaced a motor on one of these cars, can it be done without loosening or dropping the dash? I'd like to pull the motor and test it on my bench.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe