Close

Default add tweeters to center of dash pad

I added a pair of JBL GTO629 and JBL GTO19T tweeters to my 96 Yukon using only a head unit.

My 84 LX convertible has the same GTO 629's in the front doors and a pair of GTO 329's in the top of the dash pad. In the vert I have a head unit and a small power amp beehive the console. The Yukon cranks but the Mustang just sounds OK. Its the 1 inch tweeters that make the sound and the only place I can think of to put a pair of tweeters would be in the center of the dash pad where the stock amp now sits.

Although having 2 tweeter so close to each other I think it will still add dimension to the sound.

Any pros or cons to this idea?

Tweeters are very directional. I don't think it would sound bad, but it would be much better if you could separate them. I put the tweeters in the factory 3 1/2" dash locations. Then added 6 1/2" separates down in the kick panels.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

That ft speaker combo should kick out like the Yukon
    Stock radio?
    Amps rms?
    Correct ohm total and phasing?

The Yukon prob has more watts, which those speakers need to wake up.

Mine was just ok too until going with a JBL amp and speakers. The Sony stuff did not get the job done.
    No matter what i did, was not getting the right sound quality nor loudness balance with a 2ch amp.
    Finally is plenty loud driving 65, windows down.

Have GX 302's, which is the cheaper version of the 329 and 50 x 4 w/JBL 4ch amp.
    Total: two dash JBL 3.5's, six Ford/JBL 5x7's in back area of hatch.

Gain is at 1/3 of full for the front and rear.
    Gain was adjusted until speaker bass sounded bad, then backed it down. High pass set about 90hz.
    Stock 90's din Ford radio. All new wiring, oem left intact. Installed separate fuse box for 8 more power circuits.
    Best loudest and clearest sound is 1/3 to 2/3 volume. Amp was setup with radio bass/treble straight up.

Now and then I add a click or two of bass and 0-2 clicks rear speaker bias at the radio, depending on whats playing and mood.
    Setup is pretty flexible with only above minor adjustments at the radio.

Hide the tweeters inside the outer most AC vents. Mine has been that way for 25 years. Sounds wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    That ft speaker combo should kick out like the Yukon
    Stock radio?
    Amps rms?
    Correct ohm total and phasing?

The Yukon prob has more watts, which those speakers need to wake up.

Mine was just ok too until going with a JBL amp and speakers. The Sony stuff did not get the job done.
    No matter what i did, was not getting the right sound quality nor loudness balance with a 2ch amp.
    Finally is plenty loud driving 65, windows down.

Have GX 302's, which is the cheaper version of the 329 and 50 x 4 w/JBL 4ch amp.
    Total: two dash JBL 3.5's, six Ford/JBL 5x7's in back area of hatch.

Gain is at 1/3 of full for the front and rear.
    Gain was adjusted until speaker bass sounded bad, then backed it down. High pass set about 90hz.
    Stock 90's din Ford radio. All new wiring, oem left intact. Installed separate fuse box for 8 more power circuits.
    Best loudest and clearest sound is 1/3 to 2/3 volume. Amp was setup with radio bass/treble straight up.

Now and then I add a click or two of bass and 0-2 clicks rear speaker bias at the radio, depending on whats playing and mood.
    Setup is pretty flexible with only above minor adjustments at the radio.
    What I have in the Yukon is a Panasonic head unit. Low end model, cost me $100 on sale. The Yukon has 6 speakers and 2 tweeters. One in each door and two above the rear doors. Tweeters are in the armrest.

in the Mustang I have this USA 6300 300 watts car stereo
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-En...ZToxgl&vxp=mtr

And a an Alpine 400 watt power amp, I have 6 speakers in the Mustang. Two 6 inch round GTO 629's in the rear, two in the front door panels and two 3 inch GTO's in the dash.

I don't want to swap the 3 inchers for tweeters because they do crank. I want to keep the 6 speakers I have and find a good place for a pair of GTO tweeters.

Looks like you got very good items to work with and know you are close to hitting the marks.
    Having a very similar source to compare capability with is excellent.
    Playing with a sound system for hours is most enjoyable.

Lots say center dash is fine. Yup bouncing off w/s, imaging, all that stuff.
    But will they be too loud up there, and have no way to change that?
    Id try it anyway. Not many options plus may just work out well.
    Like in ice hockey terms. If no play, throw the puck in then go from there. Never know. May score.

Could connect the tweets on long wires and move them around car just for the heck of it.

Alternate locations to center dash:
    -Kick panels, a more common mount area than i thought. Facing each other.
    Some say good for bright sounding tweets, still keep 'stage' high.

JBL site lists 19 tweet ext dia spec. Same as 2.25" gauges.
    Hmm
    -A-piller pods. Rt sides can be found for right hand drive cars.
    Or universal gauge pods. Some pivot.

I love experimenting with different speaker combos, placements, seeking sound stage i want.
    Without cutting things or buying pricey stuff, then finding out were mistakes.
    As close to a home stereo as possible. Balanced, good imaging, accurate overall sound repro.
    Being a 'boomer', have heard same recorded songs 1000's of times plus what live concerts sound like.
    Passenger opinions of the cars stereo's overall sound is important.
    The suggestion of more rear bass and less front sound was correct. Simple fade adjustment.

Actually, the JBL amp and front 3.5s are the only new items i bought.
    Am using radio and rear speakers from pic a part to save big money experimenting.
    AM/FM stereo radio only. No tapes, etc. Cant be bothered. Am a channel surfer.

Tried the center channel idea with different single 5x7 speakers, amped and not.
    Was ok amped. Still something was missing. Constant fooling with settings, phasing.
    The center dash speaker loc is now empty. The amped JBL 3.5's did the trick.

Thought one of the new JBLs was defective. Nope. Their tech said "Its not our speaker, it is you".
    It was.
    Having clean unblocked ears helps a lot. Ech, no more swimming under water..itch..dang those q-tips..

I drove in the Yukon today and theres no mistaking it. The GTO 629's sound louder and thump harder in the Yukon with just the head unit and 1 inch tweeters. The Mustang has GTO 329 and GTO 3 inch up front and something is definitely missing in the sound.

The Pioneer gives away how many watts are needed.
    Too bad there isnt an easy way to move the Pioneer to the Mustang for testing.
    Depending on how they are wired, connecting two sets of speakers together changes the ohms seen by the amps.

Is it both front 629 + 329's together on same circuit? Rears? To the alpine or head unit?

Maybe can figure out with more details..

ohm specs per JBL:
    629= 3 ohm
    329= 3 ohm
    19T= 3 ohm

setup:
    rear 629x2
    ft 629 x2
    ft 329 x2
    ft future 19T x2

3 pairs of 3 ohm speakers are tricky to wire without going below 2 ohm, above nominal 3, plus keeping all in phase.
    the amps need the right amount of resistance to work correctly
    its all about how the speakers + and - terminals are connected

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    The Pioneer gives away how many watts are needed.
    Too bad there isnt an easy way to move the Pioneer to the Mustang for testing.
    Depending on how they are wired, connecting two sets of speakers together changes the ohms seen by the amps.

Is it both front 629 + 329's together on same circuit? Rears? To the alpine or head unit?

Maybe can figure out with more details..

ohm specs per JBL:
    629= 3 ohm
    329= 3 ohm
    19T= 3 ohm

setup:
    rear 629x2
    ft 629 x2
    ft 329 x2
    ft future 19T x2

3 pairs of 3 ohm speakers are tricky to wire without going below 2 ohm, above nominal 3, plus keeping all in phase.
    the amps need the right amount of resistance to work correctly
    its all about how the speakers + and - terminals are connected
    Yes that's exactly what the stereo installer did.

the car was stock with 6 inch round in the rear seat panels and 3 and half inch in the front dash. I felt I wasn't getting enough sound so I had the guy cut the doors and install a pair of 6 inch GTO 629s and he told me he piggybacked them to the 3 inch speakers and made all 4 front channel on the amp.

I was thinking of asking them to put the 3 inch speakers on the rear channel so the door GTO 629s would run only front channel and I could fade to rear a bit to take stress off the 3 inch speakers.

Seems like they doo most of the work and the 6 inchers don't kick like they do in the Yukon. Maybe a better amp that handles a middle channel?

This car is a vert so the only place I have for an amp is behind the console and the little Alpine amp still sticks out the sides a bit.