Close

Default 85 GT T5 to C4 Swap

I picked up a C4 to go along with my 351 swap that im doing to my 85 Ttop GT.
    For those who have done the swap or have changed out their stock shifters for something better what did you guys use? I would like to keep it within the same stock given area that the t5 shifter sticks through if possible. I really don't want to hack up my interior.

Thanks

Since a stock C5/AOD shifter just has 1/2/D, why not go with that?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

huh.. honestly i never even thought of it. My mind went right to ratchet shifters.

What kind of shape is your old T5 stuff in? PM me if you're interested in selling any of the parts.

I have the crossmember but basically need everything else on my 85 Saleen build.Name:  IMG_4463.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  60.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-25-2017 at 04:03 PM.

T5 is good clutch could use a replacement but it drove fine. I might possibly pull it this weekend.

T5s were different to the AOD'S and C4/C5'S. 87-93's were AOD or T5's but the whole plastic consol is different to earler 79-86's.

The C5's and AOD's were used in 82-86's, and AOD's from 84-1/2 to 86 CFi's. Getting one of those is your best bet.

One aftermarket shifter that rocks is like Lubner's B&M Hammer in his 86GT

Sadly, the pre Aero kit, 81003, is no longer made, so you have to lash together the Areo kit 81002, with the 81020 kit.

DARKPHREAK in one of the posts linked below (02-01-2013, 04:09 PM #9) said the console Hammer is bolt-in on AOD's but needs the kit for C5'S or c4's...something about how high the lever is and how the automtics are shifted to the car...

If you wan't your car to have a Hammer shifter with C-4 transmission installed in place of the original Hammer/ AOD transmission kit 81002, you will need to purchase conversion kit #81020 in addition to this shifter. This kit includes a shifter cable and transmission cable bracket and shift lever for a C-4 or C-5 transmission

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    You'll have to do a little tin work, and merge the Four Eye and Aero parts together.

For 87, the AOD kit is cable, whereas the old kit was rod. By getting the cable 87 onwards C4/C6 kit, you can possibily get it together a little more easily.

black1980fiveoh states the stock shift rod and wiring being an issue.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...hifter-install

The issue is that with a modified C4 to AOD, you have to repitch the extra shift postion between Park and Low. Going cable on an AOD requires some engineer of the AOD'S twin lever TV cable and gear selector.

That cable update for an AOD can be done fairly easily since the plastic shift cover is able to be copied and reworked to suit the later 87 AOD type. The TV cable or rod then has to be accomodated.

It essentially becomes a custom install for AOD Four Eyes.

Aero Stangs have a different center console, and to avoid having to piece together part Four Eye, Part Aero, thats what the B&M 81002 Shifter kit suits.

#81003 might be around in someones inventory, but its New Old Stock

Another #81003

For full details, this is the post http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...fter-questions.

In the old days of the #81003 kit, used to be a Console and Console-Less Option. One sits higher than the other.

These days, your only options are to go the 87-93 AOD #81002.

^ oh, that's fancy
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Default 85 GT T5 to C4 Swap

I've got one of those b&m ratchet shifters I just took out of mine (aod). You pay the shipping and it's yours for free. I'm not doing you any favors though. I hated it, lose and shaky. I just put an oem shifter back in it.

Just my preference of course but I wish my 351 was mated with a 5 speed.

Before

After - haven't finished the install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh hughh, ddx77. Maybee it was the labor intensive part that killed the 81003 kit.

black1980fiveoh said it sure was time consuming. So did DARKPHREAK

81003 kit required to link the C4 to the pre 87's.

I'm guessing your kit is the Aero 81002 which has the required 81020 cable kit to make it all gell properly?

Not everyone uses it.

Its all to do with the differences Ford made to the 87-93's. That's where the volume sales are, so the kits were based around that. The earlier kits may have been a little less developed.

The business end is the way the C4 is adjusted.

Incidently, for reduntant PhotoBucket links, there is no WayBackMachine for a private albums. As JC's (DARKPHREAK's) is, but black1980fiveoh isn't. So some of the pictures can be R.E.M.'d (re-Document-ed, aka "Exhuming McCarthy" special...)

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...hifter-install

There is a Fox body consol E brake delete option that allows you to use the Console-Less B&M Console, which mounts higher than the other 87-93's. Some Capris and Mustangs didn't have the console, but all had central E brakes, so the Console Less E brake can take the free mount B&M just fine.

DARKPHREAK's Image is pretty low res, but you get the idea.