Close

Default Delete

Delete Please , thank you
    Last edited by Sinister; 09-30-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Delete Please

Its going to be very hard to sell the car as 42k miles unless you have full documentation to prove it. So if you really don't know, and the engine smokes as you describe I would have to assume 142k miles. That being said, detailed pics will be needed before offering opinions on price. And keep in mind, they are just opinions that you asked for
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

What's funny about the 42vs142 is how impossible it is to make a case simply off of a little smoke.

86 didn't smoke at 242K. I don't even remember it smoking at 342K. But somewhere along the way it did start smoking. Mainly when the valve seals went bad. Could it be worn guides - sure. But maybe not. I've put new seals in "worn" guide motors and had those seals hold up for a ton more miles before.

Yes bad guides make bad seals, but smoking at 42K or 142K on a 5.0L has way more to do with age and heat cycle count than miles! That and basics like if the oil was changed. I drive the holy bajesus out of my 86 - always have. But I've always kept good clean oil in it, ran a good filter, and used magnets to capture any metal particles.

Stuff like unibody flex when you step on it hard in 1st and the presence of floor cracks and seat fabric condition and motor mount originality and condition and water pump play and presence of factory stock cat-back vs not are a lot better ways to venture to guess at mileage.

In many states miles are exempt after 10 years. The title will get marked exempt regardless of if it was excess mechanical limits previously or assumed to be correct and actual.

I would let the condition speak for itself and leave it at that.

Just my $0.02.

Sorry to see you go. Good luck selling your four eyed fox.

Delete Please, thank you mod