Close

Default 79-81 tank upgrade

Yes I did a search & kept getting an error.
    What are the problems you run into when upgrading to a newer style tank in the early foxes ? I really want to put a newer style tank in my 80 when I upgrade to EFI
    Thanks
    Mustang Week Staff
    www.mustangweek.com
    1980 Cobra
    1981 coupe 6 cylinder
    1982 GT
    04 Lightning
    14 GT

The newer tanks fit... mostly. You will have to move the pass side strap over about the width of the strap. You will need new lines because now they will come off the top instead of the lower front.save your old straps and save your old fuel sender you may need it based on what year tank you get, and last, do yourself a favor and get the filler neck too as there are no new donuts for the early tank filler neck. For the record I have a 94 tank in my 79. They say it's necessary to massage the floor a bit for the newer tank to fit. I get that, but I have not done it, and mine is in. If you use factory type wiring it will go through the grommet hole you currently have, you will just have to rearrange your wiring a bit. Still easy enough
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 09-24-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Both posts outline the bigger 79-80 spare wheel well and the strap location of the early pre 1981-1/2 12 gal tanks. Some 81's have the earlier tank.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tang-fuel-tank

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ange&p=1774393

Best post ever.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Hjl172ggFEQ

9.07 minute to end at 13.01

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports
    Published on 15 Aug 2017
    One of the great debates and questions asked on Facebook and the car forums is what each system fuel tank looks like, what does each tank contain, and what tank will fit on each model year of Foxbody Mustang. In this video I take the 1980 2.3L 4-cylinder carburetor fuel tank apart and show what the internals look like and how they function. In the second half of the video I detail how the 5.0L 1992 fuel tank is set-up in comparison to the carburetor tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post
    Before I hauled off the crashed notchback, I spent a few minutes documenting the difference in the carb vs EFI fuel tanks. I see this question pop up once and a while and hopefully it answers a few questions.

My project this week is to get the engine bay repainted and the trunk cleaned up. I need to start mock-up of all the EFI wiring, battery relocation, etc.

Quick parts check results:
    All parts sites state 4/81 as the changeover month from early to later style tank.
    Exact April 1981 date??
    Prob means the sheet metal for the spare tire well changed too?

New filler neck grommets for all years are available.
    New early filler necks no-
    later style- yes.