Close

Default Name that part - Engine Bay Edition

Hey all I have been working on a restoration project on my 85' GT and have been photo-documenting the tear down process and have quite a few parts I am unsure of what they do and if they are even necessary. Just some things to note with this project is I have decided not to worry about cruise control (at least for now) and I do not care about emissions as we do not have that where I live and this car will probably be registered with "Antique" plates any way. With all that in mind ... who wants to play "Name that part?"

Name:  CPUMountedtoDriverEngineBayWall.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  125.7 KB
    I'm pretty sure this is the PCM?

Name:  ThingBehindDriverStrutTower.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  112.4 KB
    I call it "Thing Behind Driver side strut tower"... no idea what it is but it's next to the brake booster...

Name:  ThingBehindPassStrutTower.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  86.6 KB
    I call it "Thing Behind Passenger strut tower" ... again no idea but it has a vacuum loop and a plug...

Name:  ThingMountedtoFrontofDriverStrutTower.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  120.1 KB
    "Thing Mounted to Front of Driver strut tower" ... This one actually looks purposeful but again not sure.

Name:  ThingMountedtoFrontofPassStrutTower.jpg
Size:  128.6 KB
    Now presenting "Thing Mounted to Front of Passenger strut tower" Pretty sure this has something to do with ignition and is also important. When I actually start putting parts back I will probably be switching to an MSD system so this may get replaced?

Sorry if I'm being a noob here but these are the few parts I am unsure of and want to have everything fully documented so this project doesn't turn into an investigation. I scoured the internet trying to find an exploded view of the engine bay but it looks like if you want that you have to purchase a manual. I was able to find it for fuel injected foxes but they don't seem to have the same setup as a carbureted fox. I'm sure someone is gonna tell me to RTFM and I would if I HTFM... so maybe I'll just have to BTFM.

Thanks for any input or help... More to come...

-Rob-

One more... I call this one "Modern Art Piece under Passenger Fender"

Name:  ThingMountedBehindPassengerFender.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  119.4 KB

Pretty sure it may be some emissions related thing and it's not necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by IDriveFords View Post
    Hey all I have been working on a restoration project on my 85' GT and have been photo-documenting the tear down process and have quite a few parts I am unsure of what they do and if they are even necessary. Just some things to note with this project is I have decided not to worry about cruise control (at least for now) and I do not care about emissions as we do not have that where I live and this car will probably be registered with "Antique" plates any way. With all that in mind ... who wants to play "Name that part?"

Name:  CPUMountedtoDriverEngineBayWall.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  ThingMountedtoFrontofPassStrutTower.jpg
Size:  128.6 KB
    First Picture is the Ignition module. This would we a carb Car. You would be replacing this with an MSD box if that is the route you are going.

Second picture is the voltage regulator, part of the charging system. You will be keeping that most likely.

As
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Name:  ThingBehindDriverStrutTower.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  112.4 KB

Name:  ThingBehindPassStrutTower.jpg
Size:  86.6 KB

It's a dual "vacuum control switch". The under hood emissions label shows them as "VCS". Also called a "WOT vacuum switch" on electrical schematics.
    They Connect to manifold vacuum and then open or close the electrical contacts as vacuum changes above or below a certain point. .
    Different parts can have different "set" points.

It looks like someone capped off the the vacuum control switch already and there is one on both the pass and driver side strut towers. Are they simply just emissions related and un-necessary if all the emissions stuff has been removed?

My '83 only has one VCS and it is for smog (the diverter valve solenoid). Sorry, not sure about the additional vacuum control switches on you car.

Driver side of vacuum switches control the shift light and the thermactor system. Second set of vacuum switches controls the high altitude compensation system. The thing mounted to the front of the driver's side strut tower is a barometric sensor to activate the high altitude compensation system. The modern art masterpiece on the passenger side by the wheel is the actual high altitude compensation system. The 5 different solenoids open in progression depending on engine vacuum when the system is activated. If you are going to junk this stuff, let me know. I wouldn't mind having it.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater