Close

Default Head liner installation

Hi Guys, does anyone have any tips or point me to a link or video of how to fix a head liner, my is dropping down. My thoughts were to get some spray glue and remove the edges and spray glue it back on. However a mate said its best to take it all out and start afresh as the material between the liner and the roof has probably deterioted and will need replacing for the headliner to fit properly.

I have heard how this is one of the most difficult jobs on a car and most people use a professional however, I would like to have a crack at it!

thanks in advance
    Steve
    People who say it cannot be done should not get in the way of the people doing it!

1979 Mustang 2.8V6
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 limited

FEP Super Member

Do remove the entire headliner, strip the cloth and old glue .
    Or you can buy a new headliner , that uses an abs backer board , and comes with the cloth already attached.
    The cardboard of your original may not be in the best condition , to give the results you desire .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

It is important to use the correct glue.
    Now is the time to decide to keep or replace.
    Easier to replace now, since its loose.
    Glue it up and it will be much more work later.
    Quick fix would be glue, then use a paint roller to smooth and bond.
    Small sections at a time.
    May be lumpy but it will be back up there.
    The trim comes off to access the edges.
    A internet search will give general tips.
    https://www.google.com/search?source....0.Y3iZn9brAgw

I have a t-top car. Vinyl headliner was sagging. I used 3m spray glue. Lasted a few months. Next I got a can of good old contact cement. Pulled off surrounding trim. I peeled off the headliner up to where it was solid. Then I coated both surfaces and waited. I carefully reattached it just pressing with a cloth.

When I was done, it was bumpy. Once the contact cement cured, it smoothed out.

It is not perfect but I would give it an 8 out of 10.

I did this fully intending to replace the headliner because I didn’t think it would work. I won’t be replacing this any time soon.

I got a piece of 1/16th inch abs locally and traced out a new one from my old card board and got the vinyl material. used good spray contact cement. It saved over half of buying one. Looks pretty good. To put the bends in I used a piece of plywood that I cut a matching arch on and dolly and a propane torch to soften the abs. If that sounds complicated it wasn't. My only mistake was I should have put a piece of tape where the two front corners came together. Because the foam crept into the gap and shows a bit at the front corner angles. Although with the visors on you can't see it. Have I made that hard enough yet?

This is one thing I MUST do to my sunroof car. I patched the old homemade job that was in my car when I got it to make the show this weekend, but it looks like crap IMHO.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

FEP Senior Member

I have done it twice on two different cars, a standard roof notchback and then re-doing the same headliner recently also converting it to a sunroof headliner for my current notchback. I have both videos on my YouTube channel (see my signature).
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Here is the way to do it. I've done several cars this way with good success.

The worst part is taking the headliner out. Trim panels usually pull off or need to have a screw removed before pulling.

Once out, turn it over and sand off the old foam backing and glue. Good luck trying to save the old liner as the glue and foam stuck to it will be near impossible to remove. I have had good luck getting material at fabric stores. They usually stock basic color foam backed material. I'm sure there is material to be found online as well.

Once you have the material, lay it on the headliner and do a rough trim. See where the material will pucker and further trimming will be needed.

Get a roll of wax paper and cut a bunch of pieces to cover the headliner in a radial pattern from the center or maybe the courtesy light opening. The whole thing needs to be covered with waxed paper.

1 can of 3M high temperature upholstery adhesive should be enough. With the waxed paper off the headliner (note where her pieces went) apply the 3M adhesive to the board. Lay the waxed paper on the board. Spray the back of the material and allow it to dry a bit.

Set the material on the waxed paper and align with the board. Make sure there are no wrinkles or puckers.

Now remove the waxed paper by pulling it straight out, smoothing the material to the board. Voila!

Final trim and reinstall.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Thanks guys, the consensus seems to be to replace the old one with a new one. I will check out the Basin Motorsports on you tube later this evening.

once again thanks for the advice
    Steve
    People who say it cannot be done should not get in the way of the people doing it!

1979 Mustang 2.8V6

I did my '85 about 14 years ago, just using the instructions included with the material. It wasn't difficult at all. Still holding up fine. The most tedious part is getting the headliner out. There is a lot of molding that needs to be removed. The trickiest part is over the doors. It snaps into place (assuming 79 is the same as 85).
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    I did my '85 about 14 years ago, just using the instructions included with the material. It wasn't difficult at all. Still holding up fine. The most tedious part is getting the headliner out. There is a lot of molding that needs to be removed. The trickiest part is over the doors. It snaps into place (assuming 79 is the same as 85).
    yes the 79 is the same and yet I found that part the easiest ! It was all the trim around the rear window I found difficult, screws everywhere!
    I hope my replacement lasts 14 yrs

1979 Mustang 2.8V6

I found it tricky in the sense I couldn't see how it was held in place. Screws are obvious. Once I figured out where the clips were located, no big deal.

Oh, one other thing. I labeled all the parts with tape and sharpie. Also bagged and labeled all the hardware by location. Helpful if there is a long delay between disassembly and reassembly.
    Last edited by swearint; 09-28-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    I found it tricky in the sense I couldn't see how it was held in place. Screws are obvious. Once I figured out where the clips were located, no big deal.

Oh, one other thing. I labeled all the parts with tape and sharpie. Also bagged and labeled all the hardware by location. Helpful if there is a long delay between disassembly and reassembly.
    Aha I watched a video first and it showed the exact spot to apply to remove the trim above the doors. Good tip about bagging everything!
    Cheers
    Steve

1979 Mustang 2.8V6

I took the old cardboard to my local upholstery shop and had them cover it with the correct material. They have the factory color charts to match it up. They have the right glue and roll it out nice. Worked perfectly and was simple to reinstall. So far so good. I think they charged my $125 out the door. I think there are kits on eBay if you wanted to go that route. I would definitely go new either way. Good Luck.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

might as well put my 2 cents in, took out liner, sanded off old glue, sprayed on new glue (cant remember brand name) ,attached new vinyl ($7 at local fabic store) still up after 5 years
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that