Close

Default Need Interior Charcoal SEM Info for 84 Predator

Hi I've got some interior panels to paint. According to my build sheet it's code 'A' which corresponds to charcoal. Any SEM code info would be appreciated!
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT
    84 Mustang Predator GT302H 4S-119

I haven't tried they 84 charcoal but I couldn't get a decent match on red from SEM. You will probably need to go to LMR for a good match but be warned, the coverage is POOR and it will get expensive if you are going to do several panels. Also this product is very sensitive to exterior temperatures, if it's too cool outside you won't get good results.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

PPG had the formula in an old 84 guide so I had a quart mixed. Single stage $155. Talk about pricey but should be a nice match.
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
    PPG had the formula in an old 84 guide so I had a quart mixed. Single stage $155. Talk about pricey but should be a nice match.
    I ran into that the last time I went to have some Scarlet red mixed up for another project. They wanted $190 for a quart!

After I quit laughing I said NO THANKS! I went to another local supplier and had a quart mixed for $78 and although I still think that's ridiculous it was much better than $190. Not sure why the HUGE price increase, but seems a bit crazy to me. Oh well!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Does the paint you have mixed and buy by the quart hold up any better than the SEM out of a rattle can?

I feel I get better coverage and its easier to spray out of a gun than a rattle can. The rattle SEM works just fine and holds up fine. I use it all the time for the spot repairs and small projects. If I need to spray large quarter panels or the entire interior then I prefer using the quart and my spray gun. Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yeah I'm not happy with the price but I'll pay it all day long to avoid those horrible rattle cans. They are inconsistent little horrors with terribly thin solids. I went through almost 5 cans at $20 each trying to turn a grey console black.
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I feel I get better coverage and its easier to spray out of a gun than a rattle can. The rattle SEM works just fine and holds up fine. I use it all the time for the spot repairs and small projects. If I need to spray large quarter panels or the entire interior then I prefer using the quart and my spray gun. Hope that helps!
    When you spray out of a gun, are you using a single stage urethane or the SEM Color Coat?

I've said it on here several times. Go to Fox Resto. Matt has his own formula for charcoal and it is spot on for color match. Half a pint did my entire interior. I don't know about getting in a spray can or not though and I can't remember the price for a pint.
    Last edited by dagenham; 10-15-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Propells or a very small sprayer will do great for spraying interior panels.

Paint section at any hardware store for propels. Least expensive decent option on a sprayer will likely be Harbor Freight.

Lots of people tell you that you need some sort of made of gold compressor to run air tools or a sprayer. You don't!

Buy a few cheap air bombs and T them off the high pressure storage tank on a pancake compressor. If you go really big on storage it can take forever to fill them but you'll have enough stores compressed air to get sizeable jobs done then.

My dad has several 100 lb propane tanks he cleaned out with an ammonia solution to get rid of the stink. They work awesome for extra air. He can paint entire cars or texture entire houses with those plus a pretty small compressor. The lower the line regulator pressure and the higher the tank shutoff the more capacity it proves to be. When he doesn't want to wait forever for pressure for small jobs there is a valve on each tank that he can close. This is really an inexpensive option.

Btw - such one way in/out tank are best racked inverted so any moisture will run out and can be dumped out of the fill line, etc. We used a T and a valve that blows straight down.