Close

Wink 1990 Engine in a 1985 - parts needed

As many of you know, I am amassing a giant pile of parts at great expense for my 1985 Mustang GT. I got it with a ton of impossible to find Saleen parts already on it - where those came from or who installed them or when they were put on is an unknown.

The car is a roller at the moment. I need to identify which parts I need and get them ordered so I can put my low miles original 1990 5.0L in and make it run ASAP.

For build speed and simplicity and correctness factors I am going to simply run a carburated engine in it - at least for now. I will either need to do a mechanical fuel pump or figure out where to add a low pressure high volume electric.

what is needed to go the mechanical pump route?

Now for the dizzy. I have a very good idea but I'd like to verify I have the best stock style part number.

Only the wiring harness is there. What is best to get for ignition parts on a car that will get driven a lot in nice weather?

Links to parts needed are greatly appreciated.

If anyone has all of the required parts and would like to sell them to me, please PM me! I'll happily pay cold hard cash for good parts if you're willing to box the stuff up and send it to me.... maybe take the wife out for dinner or buy that part yours is missing. Clean up that shelf out in your garage a bit...

Btw - two way street here. Let me know what you are after - I have a stash of parts myself too and am spending stupid amounts of time looking for stuff made of unobtanium!

Bumping the thread

Hey there! In order to run a mechanical fuel pump, you would need the following: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6287AK/1979...Kit-Carbureted. That goes in front of the timing chain, just fyi. You'd also need a timing cover with the hole for a mechanical fuel pump, which can be found on amazon or eBay for like $40.

If your gas tank and lines are already setup for a carb application, this might be your best bet. I'm running a Holley 130 or 140 gph mechanical pump on my hci fox and my motor is happy

In regards to the ignition system and which distributor, I'm not really sure. I removed all my Duraspark stuff and went with an MSD dizzy, 6al2, and Blaster 2.

Thanks! Confirms what I thought was needed. I'll get on buying the stuff tomorrow!

Now for confirming the dizzy, and other parts.

This horse needs a motor and trans before it gets too cold to work on it!
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-24-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Good luck man! Your motivation and the speeed you're working at is inspiring lol

You'll need to see if your cam has the mechanical fuel pump eccentric bolted to the front. The cheapest distributor to get will be one for a 85 carb 302. It will be a duraspark with a steel gear for the roller cam and vacuum advance. You can get a harness to hook it directly to a MSD box, unless you still have all the duraspark wiring underhood.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

The kit from comp on LMR adds it. It what I figured I needed but always smart to double check and order the correct parts the first time-- especially when trying to get stuff done fast.

Now to find the correct front cover. This should be pretty easy.

My main question on the dizzy is if the Mcparts stores are giving out the exact correct OE style part when you buy one. Advance weights and so many other factors come into play.

with my 86 the seals on my dizzy were bad and the motor is old and tired. It was fogging the inside with oil to the point that it would stop running ever 2 miles until I would clean it with WD40. I found I had a completely plugged EGR causing the pressure to build and fixed that too shortly there after. When I looked at the old dizzy and the new along side the road right by the parts store they were different PN but very similar. It got me going but my car has never ran as hard since I swapped in the replacement. It seemed like the reman unit didn't allow for as much timing advance.

i suspect the 85 HO vs non-HO parts might have a similar story.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.