Close

Default 84 Mustang GT goes 3G - But low voltage

Hello FEP, been using the search function for a detailed DIY or research for my ongoing issue, but no luck yet. Hoping someone that has tackled a 3G conversion on their 83 or 84 Mustang can lead me in the right direction.

Some time ago I bought a complete 3G kit from LMR that included the alternator, thicker gauge power wire, a fuse/fuse box, and the obvious connections seen here:

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-17046K4/Mus...-130-Amp-79-85

While it seems to be a great kit, it unfortunately only comes with instructions and even an instructional YouTube video by LMR for 87-93 foxes (useless to me).
    __________________________________________________ ________

Here is what I have done so far:
    - Connected the PA Performance voltage regulator to the factory harness (white w/silver(?) stripe, green w/red stripe, red w/yellow stripe)
    - White wire from alternator to the stator plug on alternator.
    - Yellow wire from alternator to the power post on the alternator.
    - Green wire from alternator to the red w/yellow stripe wire on the voltage regulator.
    - 4 gauge power wire goes to the post on alternator to the starter solenoid, fused.

As is^^, the car turned off reads 12.47ish volts at the battery. At idle, it will read 12.23 - 12.25 volts. If I give it some quick revs to like 3k, it'll read 12.19ish volts. This CAN'T be right, as most foxes I've seen with 3G alternators are reading 14.xx volts at idle.
    __________________________________________________ ________

- Where is the weak link/error?
    - The following fella has the green alternator wire jumped onto the green w/red stripe wire on the voltage regulator:
    https://youtu.be/iJhFD4Pvp-s
    I could do this, but then what is my red w/yellow stripe wire from the voltage regulator plugged to? I traced it back and it didn't lead to anything... it was cut off, but reads 11.xx volts with the key 'on'.
    - What do I do with the factory harness that plugged to the back of the original alternator? (thicker black w/yellow(?) or orange(?) stripe, and the thin orange w/blue stripe wire?) *NOTE: I tried leaving these unplugged/taped off, but it was somehow draining my battery. Connected both to the power post on alternator and the car would not crank/do anything. *NOTE x 2: the thicker black w/yellow(?) or orange(?) stripe wire led to this thicker yellow wire that went inside the firewall/inside the car and to the starter solenoid if I remember correctly. Can't recall where the thinner orange w/blue strip wire from the same original alternator plug went to though. But they have been removed from the factory wiring.
    - Should I have kept the factory wiring then and wired it like this fella:
    http://www.ltdlx.org/alternator.html

Sorry for the novel, but I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible since I don't have pictures or video.

do not reconnect the factory power wires- only use the new 4 gauge power wire
    also add an additional 4 gauge ground cable from the block to the chassis
    1986 GT T Top- stock except for magnaflow cat back
    1990 LX vert- 500hp V3 and all that stuff
    2013 GT- usual bolt ons

Default 84 Mustang GT goes 3G - But low voltage

http://www.rothfam.com/svo/3g/

Along the same wiring scheme. The alternator is just on the other side. This completely removes the external regulator. The red wire poking out of the harness is the old positive lead that I just heat shrunk and taped. May use it for something else later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 80fairmont; 09-24-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks guys. I'll be going over to my storage unit this coming Friday to give it another whirl. & huge thanks 80fairmont, for the pictures and the link. I'm going to try it without the regulator. I can run it this way without an internally regulated alternator right?
    Last edited by Trailer Trash Racer; 09-24-2017 at 02:38 PM.

3Gs are internally regulated.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Learn something new every day! Thanks for clarifying!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailer Trash Racer View Post
    Learn something new every day! Thanks for clarifying!!!
    Did you get this figured out? I did the swap on my 84 LTD and it's super easy to do while getting rid of the factory regulator. I even left the stock harness alone so if I have to switch back I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs