Close

Default Power Steering Pump appearance

As many know, when you go to the Mcparts and get a reman PS pump the tanks are often white rather than black.

I found my original completely worn out black PS pump in storage- it got me thinking..... is there a way to swap out the tanks?
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-22-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Read this for some good info on both removal and a full DIY rebuild on the pump.

http://www.sputnikoffroad.com/index....ruck&Itemid=13
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I just did this on my 84. The oring on the fitting was leaking on mine so I was replacing the orings. I replaced it while on the car. Once you remove the pressure line, and the fitting that pressure line connects to the reservoir comes right off. The above link is good. Although I didn't have to remove the valve or strike the reservoir to dislodge it. It wiggles right off after that fitting is removed.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

That answers that. Nice.

Not sure if I'm going to bother swapping tanks on my 86 as it will never be a show car. My black pump for my 86 is exceptionally high miles - ~450K+ - but it still worked and the black part of the pump is still nice.

I was thinking of getting a reman pump and doing the tank swap for another project. Unexpectedly I got ahold of a low miles stock black PS pump for my "Saleen" build.

If anyone is in great need of a black ps tank let me know and we can work something out.... otherwise I will just horde it anyway.