Close

Default 82 GT Radio install

After removing the old shaft-type unit and cutting the dash, what holds the new aftermarket unit in place securely? Is there an install kit that I need to purchase? TIA.

My 86 was broken into multiple times back in the 90's. One of those times the dash was destroyed and the only one available was an early dash like yours. For a while I ran a KRC-6000 knob style radio until it was broken into again.... and the knob area was busted up a little but could be salvaged as a DIN style.

Given my 85 build I really wish I still had that 6000, but I digress.

If you have an uncut 79+ dash please do not cut it. These are impossible to find for restorations. Consider replacing it with a DIN style

If its already broken or cut... The only way I am aware of to do it is

1 - take a piece of ABS and shape it to fit the radio area where it's indented.

2 - mark out the DIN opening on the ABS so it's straight and centered. Cut that opening.

3 - Cover the abs surface in painters tape.

4- Tape it to the radio opening - be sure to position it where it needs to be

5 - Use spray paint to mark out the din opening with a bright contrasting color.

6 - take the abs out of the way and cut the din opening with a cutoff wheel

7 - remove the tape and tear fit

8 - use a high strength epoxy or cold weld glue to bond the ABS to the dash. Use C clamps to secure the ABS

9 - let the glue dry fully

10 when dry, test fit the radio. Setup a pipe hanger strap or similar metal to support the back of the radio.

11 - wire everythibg and test it

12 - when done, use the tabs to hook the din surround to the dash.

13 - Plug in the pop in the radio and connect the rear support

Oh -- and buy an alarm or at least the stickers! I still can't believe how much stereo stuff was stolen out of my car over the years

Good luck!
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-21-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Please don't cut an original, unmolested dash!
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    Please don't cut an original, unmolested dash!

Please provide me with a source that will allow me to do such...........................

If you cut the dash to install a newer radio then the answer is simple...the installation sleeve that comes with whatever radio you buy should fit in the opening (or you need to trim it more to fit) and secure into place with the bendable tabs all around the sleeve. If the opening you cut is too big for this, then you will have to get creative as mentioned above.

You may also need to buy a Radio Delete Plate and trim it accordingly to act as a backing plate behind the new radio's trim plate....as it most likely will not fill up the dash opening and look incomplete.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

The ABS piece I made on mine is effectively the same thing as a radio delete plate. I worked with what I had as I wanted a radio in my daily again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken14 View Post
    Please provide me with a source that will allow me to do such...........................
    Retro radio makes a kit.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    -Currently Searching for "The One"