Close

Default Body Shop Questions in SC

I have a question concerning body shops in my local area. After contacting numerous body shops, that only deal with collision damage, where can I take my car to basically do a rotisserie job on it. I am about 40 mins outside of Columbia. How much will if cost if there isnt to much to fix on the body?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
    1983 GLX

Unless you won the lottery and can afford to let a restoration house do it, your garage by you is the best option. Not trying to be a jerk but these cars aren't worth anywhere what you would have in it if you do it yourself let alone letting a resto house do it. There are a LOT of knowledgeable people on here. Many may even help you. But your best bet is with you own two hands. Oh I think you could have 30 k in it easily

The trouble is most body shops deal in insurance jobs. Quick and easy money in and out in a week or two and they are paid. If your deadest on this then you need to find a specialty shop that does stuff like restorations. Most likely you won't find that right around the corner from your house though which means the car may be at a shop a hundred miles from home.
    Like it was stated above. The cost will be a LOT more than these cars are worth for at least right now.

As both have mentioned above, only a custom or restoration shop will be able and willing to do what you are looking for. The shop space, equipment tie up, etc. just isn't worth it for the average collision repair shop. They can make more money doing multiple insurance jobs in the same time your single restoration will take.

With that said, depending on what a rotisserie job means to you and the overall condition of your Fox is, you are most likely looking at a starting price of $10k and that is for a car that is in good shape with just basic body work and repair needed. If you have major rust or damage that needs repair the $$ only goes up from there. As stated above you can quickly and easily have more $$ into the car then it will ever be worth.

If your GLX is in decent shape and you aren't doing a color change you are looking at somewhere in the 40-50 hours mark to do a decent paint job on the car. Not Chip Foose perfection, but not Earl Schieb either. So take that # times your local shop rate plus materials and that will give you a ball park number to start with. Using standard automotive paint for a BC/CC paint job you are looking somewhere between $500 and $1000 in materials alone just FYI. Hope that helps and Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I work at a body shop in Richburg SC we do restorations but you can't be in a hurry to get it done, the last one we did took over a year to do it, your car should start about 10 to 12 thousand depends on what all you want done and if you want to do some of it yourself
    Robert
    86 GT vert
    85 GT

FEP Member

I get in the $3500-$5500+ range for a good, daily driver paint job. Materials these days run around $1000+ for a good Valspar BC/CC system.
    If you get into heavy rust repair, you can easily double or triple+ that. Many of our cars are just not worth that expense. Most in my area try to beat you into the ground on price for a decent restoration and this is leading me to go hourly. There are too many unknowns.
    An insurance shop can make this money in a few days, not months, that's why their interest is low if there is any interest.

Yeah, the cost is quite prohibitive for a frame-off resto for a fox body. Much cheaper to just buy a pristine example. Me, I went and bought a rotisserie and took my 85GT down to the body. Currently in the process of painting the car now (underbody, engine bay, and interior metal done) so if you want to see my set up, just let me know. I'm in Sumter.

My car will never be concourse material, but it's going to be a lot better than when I purchased it. Plus, I'm having a blast learning how to do all kinds of things I thought might be beyond my capability.