Close

Default Valve Cover, Oil Filler and Breather Options

After spending way too much time trying to decide on a set of valve covers for the 302, I decided on a set of the ProForm Black Ford Racing covers. I really like them, not too tall, but as with most any aftermarket parts these days, presents their own set of challenges for our engine.

First is the locations of the holes in the covers. Ours normally has a hole in the front on the pass side, and in the rear on the drivers, and these are opposite. Usually the oil filler neck is on the pass side, so I wondered if people had any good recommendations of a push-in oil filler tube for the pass side, or should I just run a push-in breather like the second and third pics below?

Now, usually on the drivers side, people install a push in breather, but as you can see from the pic, there is next to no room for almost anything on the drivers side, due to the intake manifold. Any idea what to run on the drivers side, or should I just plug it with one of the rubber grommets?

As always, thanks in advance... love this community of enthusiasts.

Name:  engine-vc-clearance1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  proform-breather.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  proform-breather1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  68.6 KB

Will you be running a pcv valve? Are you running maf ? If you are then the open breathers will be allowing unmetered air in.

Yea, I will be running PCV and MAF, so what are my best options?

you need to either get a CFM open valve cover breather that has the one way check valve, or get a closed valve cover fill cap if you plan on running the PCV valve on a NA car
    1986 GT T Top- stock except for magnaflow cat back
    1990 LX vert- 500hp V3 and all that stuff
    2013 GT- usual bolt ons

Those covers aren't meant for efi manifolds, but you could make it work. I would get some sort of rubber plug and block off the hole on the drivers side cover. Then get some hose and elbows to make a fresh air Inlet from rear of passanger side cover to the air intake pipe after the maf. Then you can remove the pipe on your throttle body that is hitting the hood. And block off that breather port

^ I agree. The goal is to get as close to the Ford engineered PCV system as possibly, fresh air inlet from one valve cover, crankcase evacuation from lower intake to manifold..

I'd plug the driver and run and 90 degree on the passenger, over to the throttle body air inlet. Then run the PCV in the lower intake to the upper.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    ^ I agree. The goal is to get as close to the Ford engineered PCV system as possibly, fresh air inlet from one valve cover, crankcase evacuation from lower intake to manifold..

I'd plug the driver and run and 90 degree on the passenger, over to the throttle body air inlet. Then run the PCV in the lower intake to the upper.
    Thanks much for the explanation. I have an Anderson Power Pipe coming for the car, just ordered it this week, so I am hopeful that I can incorporate it with what you mentioned. When you said, "run a 90 degree on the passenger VC, over to the throttle body air inlet", are you talking about the 3/8" tube on top of the Throttle Body? I like what Lowetlx said above about running it into the intake. I assume he meant run it into somewhere between the MAF and the Throttle Body, and then I could pull and plug the tube on top of the Throttle Body to give me the much needed hood clearance.

I have the PCV valve going to the upper intake, which is the fresh air you mentioned, so that should already be set... right?

Thanks again for clarifying

I've seen the 90 degree breather tube on the throttle body flipped backwards before. So it points to the rear. This could work also.

My buddy was saying that I should stick a screw driver in it and see if it would spin around 180 degrees.. I wonder if it would?