Close

Thread: A/C Compressor

Default A/C Compressor

Replacing the A/C components on my 86 GT. I've sourced all the hoses and the condenser. I want to replace the compressor while I have the system torn apart. Every vendor I've searched sells reman A/C compressors that are black in color. I'd prefer to retain the original dull aluminum finish that is on my 31 year old OEM compressor. I could buy a reman black compressor and just paint it back to the original color, but I'd prefer to buy either a new or reman compressor in the orignal dull aluminum color. Any sources?

Thanks,
    Tom

FEP Power Member

I used Eastwoods Aluma Blast and painted mine before installing.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

If you want to keep original, I don't know where to get one besides Ford. My '84 GT Vert. has vintage air with a Sanden compressor they're sold at Summit and several other places. It is the original dull aluminum finish.Name:  1984 Mustang GT 013.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  120.6 KB. Mines an SD-507, car came with no belt , installed it and recharged the system with RedTek and all is well (sorry about the dirty engine compartment).

Thanks for the input guys. Think I'll be going with the Eastwood Aluma Blast to paint my rebuilt black A/C compressor.

Tom

have you considered having your compressor rebuilt?
    1986 GT T Top- stock except for magnaflow cat back
    1990 LX vert- 500hp V3 and all that stuff
    2013 GT- usual bolt ons

Quote Originally Posted by mikestang63 View Post
    have you considered having your compressor rebuilt?
    Or resealing it yourself? They really aren't that difficult to work on, and the original Denso 6P148a compressors
    are about as bulletproof as you'll find anywhere.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Any recommendtions on an outfit that rebuilds these compressors? Did a quick search on the internet and didn't really find much.

FEP Power Member

You might try the suppliers for the older cars. Vintage Air, Classic auto air, etc.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Century auto air is local to me. You might be able to find a similar place near you. Check YouTube for videos on how to rebuild your compressor. If you don't want to do the work, they will also rebuild the compressor for you.
    http://www.shopcenturyautoair.com/st...mpressors.html

Pulled the trigger on a Remn 4 seasons compressor from AutoZone. Surprisingly, opened the box and it's actually a brand new compressor. There's a sticker attached to it stating that "Due to a temporary core shortage, this compressor is new, not remanufactured." Sweet!! Also, it's the natural aluminum color, vice the black color of the reman units.

Checking the 4 Seasons application guide, it states that the compressor requires 10 oz. of PAG-46 oil for use with R-134a. Half this oil goes into the compressor via the suction port, and the other half goes into the accumulator. As the compressor comes pre-loaded with 3 oz. of PAG-46, it appears to me that I need to add 2 more ounces in the compressor suction port, and the remaining 5 ounces into the accumulator. Correct?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first A/C install.

The amount of oil that the system should have in it is listed on the A/C decal on the radiator support.

And yes, you can add the 2 oz to the compressor and the rest in the accumulator, since your system has no
    oil in it. If you were only replacing the compressor, you would drain the oil out of the old compressor into a
    measuring cup, and also drain the new one, then only put back the amount that was in the old compressor,
    without adding any to the accumulator.

Once the lines are connected, rotate the center compressor clutch hub to move the oil out into the lines
    before you charge up the system.

Since this system once contained R12, unless everything is new, you need to make sure the PAG oil you're
    using has 'double end-capped' chemistry. Many modern PAG oils do, but not all. Motorcraft PAG 46 is double
    end-capped. Traces of mineral oil infused with R12 will react with the single end-capped types. They're also
    more hygroscopic.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

FEP Senior Member

The last time I put a new Four Seasons compressor in a car I called their tech line. The tech recommended draining the "packing" oil that was in the compressor completely and refilling from scratch which is what I did. In reality you don't know exactly how much oil they did put into the compressor. Better to start from scratch than assume someone else did their job right that day, I also did the 50% in the compressor and 50% in the accumulator. They should have some instructions in the box about circulating the oil in the compressor and resting the compressor nose down for a few minutes to make sure the front seal gets oil before you install it.

Why are you replacing the compressor in the first place though? Did it seize up? You didn't mention, but I am assuming you are replacing the accumulator/drier as well? Make sure you completely flush the evaporator with a good flush inn both directions (I used the Johnsen's A/C flush on the last car I did and was pretty happy with it and I just rented the little flush kit from Autozone) and then blow it out completely.

A/C work is really not that difficult. Just take your time and follow any directions you have. It also helps to be extremely anal retentive about cleanliness.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire