Close

Default Biplane spoiler mounting

So the saga continues and my hate for this car continues to grow. So I got the upper spoiler back from the body shop. Took 2 months to repaint it and buff since the color was way off when they painted the car first go around. So I have new screws to mount it. Guess what. The holes are too big. Taking the car back and having him weld up the holes and repaint the hatch isn't an option. Not sure if the lower screws just secure the lower spoiler to the upper but those holes are enormous. Any ideas to remedy this? Epoxy the holes and redrill? Thinking it'll most likely break apart after a short while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plastic expanding fasteners then screws.....

Lol...with all the home reno stuff I've been doing I didn't even consider that...headed to the garage!

I would recommend using a Rivet Nut to fill the hole and give a better hold than normal screws. Back in the day when I was doing some repair/restoration work on SVO's for Motion Dynamics that was my standard fix for all the SVO's due to the original hardware enlarging the holes or just plain pulling out of them.

Here is an option if you are not familiar with this type of tool and insert. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...UAAOSwQYZWxMyz

I have no experience with that one, just posted up the first one on Ebay. As with most tools you get what you pay for. I will also say that as the insert size increases you will need a larger rivet gun to install them properly.

The lower hole of the Upper wing holes the upper and lower wings together and is very important to have a good structural mount. Same is true for the upper hole and IMHO the sheetmetal screw thru the outer skin of the hatch was just a crap job by Ford in the first place. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I bought a rivnut installed off Amazon. I've used it a few times as I work on my 85 and it's awesome. It has a lot of leverage so it is not hard to set the rivnuts or nutserts...whatever you want to call them.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Default Biplane spoiler mounting

Went the rivnut route. Going to need to get the supports. Looks like it sags a little.

Looks good Nut insert definitely a good way to go.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

FEP Senior Member

Agreed on the riv-nut choice. I just used them to put a widebody flare on. Sturdy as all get out.