Close

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

I’m sure I am not alone when I say I’m looking forward to seeing more progress and pictures of this build. Been following along since the first post. Car has come a long way and Trey has done some amazing work.

Maybe. Frustrating though

Quote Originally Posted by ISTLCRUZ View Post
    I’m sure I am not alone when I say I’m looking forward to seeing more progress and pictures of this build. Been following along since the first post. Car has come a long way and Trey has done some amazing work.
    Trey has done great work.

Now we have GOT to get it wrapped up. Circumstances are such that I need to get it done ASAP. Unfortunately I am going to have to sell it and will probably do-so before I even get to show it or drive it.

Really need to get the history digging finished up as that will have an enormous influence on value.

Sell ?? Man, I hate to hear that. Hopefully things will change. So much research, time searching for correct parts and so much more. Been an epic build for sure.

James,
    I'm sad to hear that you need to sell this car after all of the work & effort that has gone into it. Part of the reason why its has been cool to follow along with is that you clearly are passionate about the early fox mustangs and want it to be as perfect as possible. In fact, it is much better now than when it was new. Our cars are so similar that it was cool to follow along with your build. I hope that you are able to enjoy it at least a little bit. If this car is still in Texas I would still love to see it on the way back home. If the trail runs thru the Dallas area lunch is on me, or dinner and a beer.

Sux to hear that it will b for sell after all that great work that it was done to it,,and yes Trey did a hell of a job, I had the pleasure to see that car when it was at Treys' shop,it wasn't finish but it already look amazing,I hope u can get it done soon!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

I have the 331 on hand and I’ve gotta wrap it up

life has kicked my ass completely and it’s gotta go

I’ve been renting my trailer out but it’s going too

working with Trey on the details to go get it. If it’s not soon I’ll part it out starting with the 331 that’s built for it.

I’m excited been selling **** for my 1986GT build to keep mounting bills paid and this car means NOTHING to me compared to the 86. Not a damn thing. It’s gotta GO now

I hate you are having to sell/part with it. Sometimes though to get ahead we have to actually take a step back. What ever the situation you have going on I hope things improve. Good luck with the sell.
    Ray

Things have improved some on the life situation but there’s a long way to go so I’m just unsure what the outcome will be

My dad and I made a flying run to Austin and met Trey at his shop then loaded most of the rest of my stuff there up and headed out. Clearly as I go through parts we missed some stuff but Trey and I will sort it out

My truck and trailer were beat to piss by hail on the trip so now there’s that to deal with.

Is what it is. The car is home and the rest can start to get wrapped up now
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry to say I didn’t get a chance to catch up with anyone on the trip. It is very hard to cover 1800 miles with an enclosed trailer quickly so a lot of things I had hoped about were skipped.

I did manage to drop off those louvres in Wichita.

not ready to talk about the mishaps along the way but they were minor in the scheme of things

Is what it is.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-19-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. We got golfball size hail here in Round Rock as well. Wife's new expedition got pelted.

Looking forward to more updates and seeing how this build turns out. Best of luck!
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Added a few more details inside the car then I got out some hammers our and fixed the damage on the dual snorkel air cleaner. It turned out good.

Someone had done a terrible repaint on the air cleaner so I used a wire wheel abs stripped it to bare metal

I guess I’m over quota on pictures so they will wait
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-25-2021 at 11:52 PM.

I have the wire connectors needed. Now to get the time to patch the wiring back together

engine is on the stand waiting for a chance to get the valves adjusted and get the valve covers installed. Spacers were required

i forgot to pre-lube the rear main before installing so I’ll probably toss that one and try again. The small water pump pulley works perfectly for driving the rear main seal home

I have all of the front accessories brackets cleaned up. They were ugly as bare metal from being on a neglected parts car so I painted them.

I am not exactly sure what the metal PS bracket was that I had but it stuck out 3/4 more than the one on my 86 and doesn’t match the pump bracket. I ordered one like is on my 86 and reconditioned it. Finally ready to go on

1/2 the ARP bolts for the accessories were too big and the wrong thread so I enlarged the holes and cut the correct threads where I needed to.

After a lot of goofing around I’ll finally have the accessories assembled on the engine

The valve covers are mostly cleaned up. I spent a lot of time with a rotary wire brush cleaning crap off of them. I’m 1/2 tempted to just clear them but I’ll probably stick to my original plan and paint them with the bare cast iron like paint then sand the ribs and lettering with 800 until it is bare and shines then go to 2000 until it is a mirror then semi-gloss clear them

the Saleen air cleaner lid sticker is on and looks perfect. The air cleaner turned out really nice

So many things to do and I’ve been insanely busy with work. Beats the alternative for sure
    Last edited by erratic50; 05-28-2021 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by graphicdesigner80 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck. We got golfball size hail here in Round Rock as well. Wife's new expedition got pelted.

Looking forward to more updates and seeing how this build turns out. Best of luck!
    i was there for that too. Always an adventure

Wiring is sorted, now to verify the pinout for the body to engine harness before burning stuff in

The valve covers are fully reconditioned and painted now. They had deep gouges in the metal on the top and bottom fin.

I tried aluminum solder and it looked like ****

I ended up grinding that out and filling the gouges with JB Weld then sanding them out smooth.

painted the top and bottom rib and made the middle ones bare aluminum

I have high temp satin clear to apply when I get a chance

My matching 2019 8.5x20 Bravo enclosed trailer I bought for transporting the car was totaled by insurance following the hail damage. 12500 was the repair estimate. It’s pretty pounded but still works for trailer things and I get to keep it when I figured I’d have to sell it. My MarkLT is a similar story only PDR can handle it for under 1500 which is barely past my deductible … didn’t do a claim on it

I bought the trailer back as is so it is now a salvage trailer. Oh well ….. it’s a piece of crap and I own it. What else is new

Farmed out building the 331 due to time constraints way back in January 2019. The damn thing wasn’t “done” until this past spring. WTF. Now I’m still trying to get the engine builder here to adjust the valves. Why the F it wasn’t done before he delivered the engine?! I have no damn idea. I’m sure as hell not going to do it after I paid him. It will end up on his door step with not nice erratic50 first.

One of those deals where I know how. I was too damn busy when I hired him then he was slower than a 7 year itch to do it.the build. At one point I was unemployed with nothing going on and still he had my damn engine parts hostage …. not done.

typical bull**** I guess

noone wants to admit when they don’t deliver - too damn many egos involved

Here’s hoping things continue to gradually improve to a point where I can end up keeping the house and the car and the beat up truck and the beat up trailer.
    Last edited by erratic50; 07-12-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Haven't done much with the car this summer. I'm always helpful to others but don't always get help even when I ask nicely several times. The hood is still on the car exactly where Trey put it.

Engine/trans is ready to go in -- finally.

I have had a few wild goose chases after a cherry picker last month that turned up nothing. The friend of a friend that had it had loaned it out -- one of those deals. Finally tracked it down and I can go get it. I've been so darn busy working that I haven't revisited it

Searching for at wiring harness for my T5 right now also. One piece I know I still need to put this thing back together. If anyone happens to know where to buy one or has one they are willing to sell, that would be AWESOME.

I believe I have a Four Eye T5 harness. I will have to dig out the wiring boxes to find it, so it will be a few days since I am knee deep in 351w replacement engine and rebuilding the AOD for my 86 Bronco. Same luck as usual if it could go wrong it has. Hopefully I can get to the boxes soon.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I see you painted valve covers. I think a better alternative is Jet Hot coating, it keeps its appearance much better than paint and lowers temps. If you have never tried it, you would be thrilled. Check out their website for pics.

Hi Trey -- yes..... I've struck out on finding the required T5 harness. If you have one I'd love to get it from you ASAP.

Update on the car .... My 331 is now sitting in its mounts. Got it in without scratching anything thankfully.

accessories are all installed on the motor. Have to hook everything up, install trans, etc.

Prestige has the trans harness. $150 plus shipping. F-

the engine and trans are in place with very little left to do before it is time to start it

still doing trial and error on the belt. I’m running PS and AC and no smog pump with a smaller (under drive) crank pulley and a smaller (over drive) water pump pulley. Same setup as on my 86GT except the 85 is smog pump delete

All of the heat and engine coolant plumbing is done.

the throttle linkage is fabricated

Finished the 1G to 3G alternator conversion and grounds and starter wiring on the car.

With all of the other wiring fixed it was time to test so I put 12v power to the car for the very first time.

It was neat to see the Saleen gauge cluster from 1986-045 lit up. the tail lights are also beautiful

power windows and locks are working. I buttoned up the drivers side door then ran out of clips to do the passenger side

Posted a few pictures on American Foxbodies Facebook group since I still can’t seem to post any pictures here. The forum simply won’t let me — no idea why

Getting near the point of starting this thing for the first time. Waiting on the oil pump drill priming tool as I don’t have a dizzy to butcher at the moment. Valves will need to be adjusted once the lifters are pumped up

I plan to fire it with catless H pipe snd no mufflers initially. I’ll get the mufflers in place and cut in the high flow cats eventually

still plenty to do on the car but it is getting there
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-26-2021 at 01:39 AM.

Beautiful car, good luck with start up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

verified the power windows and power locks work and buttoned up the drivers side door recently. I ran out of clips to do the passenger side at the time. I have them now, just haven't been back out to the garage to work on it. Been working way too much lately.

I've discovered tons and tons of parts along the way that have simply grown legs and ran off. Trey knows who was behind that crap, but it doesn't make the time and cost of replacing stuff any better for either of us. Trey has been very helpful as these things come up. Hopefully the parts are just sitting somewhere misplaced in his shop but who knows.

Available time and availability of parts has made the wrap-up very long and drawn out.

One of the more recent latest discovery was the interior door handles. If you get the chance to buy any cheap jump on it. The reproductions are CRAP compared to the originals and $250 per pair!! I, of course, could find 1 of my spare charcoal door handles but not the other!

Would still love to know how the bag of clips for the interior door panels could be 11 clips shy of doing 2 doors. I only had 3 sitting around in the stash from working on Devon's door panels so it brought me to a stand still.

I was at least smart enough to grab all of the door handle hardware out of a junked 84 that was at U-pull-it. The ones we waited so long for before were among the things that vanished too.

Once I get the car going it will need to go to another body shop for a few minor things. A couples spots on the rear hatch by the stock 85/86 spoiler mount holes that were welded up are showing some rust. The spoiler doesn't quite fit properly and needs some fill in a few spots. Also the straps at the rear of the car broke when it was in the trailer and the front spoiler got banged up as it tried to exit the front of the trailer and was stopped by the 7.5 rear diff strapped down to the floor at the front of the trailer.

Needless to say, the front spoiler damage had me beyond peeved. that's why I haven't said much about it. I've tracked another one down. I may go that route instead -- unsure.

Smaller (under drive) pulley on the crank
    Smaller (over drive) 93 cobra style pulley on the water pump
    Smog pump eliminated

The belt length required ended up being 83 3/4. 83 3/8 fits but the tensioner is too far past the middle for my taste.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...F16+83&pos=306

As luck would have it, that also happens to be the most expensive 6 rib belt Gates makes across all of their sizes. Yep ..... that's how my luck works.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast