Close

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Another interesting one is some 85 and 86 were built with factory premium sound, most had Kenwood KRC-6000. Sony was also an option yet I've yet to find a single interior picture of a four eyed Saleen with a Sony head unit or speakers!

Interesting but of trivia.
    I believe it was Sanyo in addition to Kenwood. Interesting that your car had a dead pedal. Any signs of an alarm system? 85's had a cal custom alarm system.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I haven't looked for an alarm yet. That will come become obvious with more time working on it.

It looks to me like someone built quite a clone at one time. Who know if it ever had the stuff that was not there or not. I sort of assume it was a complete-ish clone car and a real looker at one point.

I have yet to find any ID numbers scribed in any of the parts on it. I was hoping to when I looked at the KMember. it has been my assumption that a real Saleen has markings on most if not all of its official parts.

With luck maybe I'll eventually learn about where and how this car was initially built.

Yea - was sanyo

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Saleen-Mustang

brings up an interesting topic - if Sanyo was ever used what model # was it.

For Kenwood the KRC-6000 had optional 40w KAC-501 amp driving rear KFC-6980 speakers. [edit - other sources say 6988 speakers]. For cars with amp, where was it installed. For GT cars how were the KRC-6000 wired given there is a factory amp that would ha e to be adapted to or bypassed....

Ive done countless stereo installs on these cars and know how I would approach it but the question is how was it originally done.

Not sure yet on how much I care to try to replicate the stereo vs just putting something I pick ingiven price vs performance and lack of features vs today's Bluetooth enabled Kenwoods..
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-28-2017 at 08:07 PM.

More parts came in the mail

(Correct for so may not use it) 86 Momo horn button
    Name:  IMG_4740.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  60.5 KB

Saleen center cap
    Name:  IMG_4741.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  72.3 KB

85 Premium Sound demo tape
    Name:  IMG_4743.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  107.8 KB

It occurred to me - what did Saleen do for front speakers? Model # is nowhere to be found

More parts still on their way..... can't wait.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-26-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Yes, 1985-065 has the dead pedal. Caretaker of it for 2 years in AZ. But the dead pedal was a popular accessory to add in the day.

I researched the dead pedal thing last night. Not all four eyed Saleens had a dead pedal. For example when you look at pictures of four eyed cars that have been for sale over the years a mix of 85's and 86's show interior pictures without a dead pedal.

Its on the build list as an original part of the serialized cars but it doesn't appear to be there consistently.

One of the attached pictures is 1985-001 and it does not have a dead pedal. Nor does 1986-25 or one other 1985-127 and 1985-0115 also do not have one.

I have also found many pictures of four eyed fox Saleens with dead pedals. One 85, many 86.
    1985-065 shown here appears to have one. http://soec.org/solid-1985-hatchback...fered-on-ebay/

I went and looked at my 85 Mustang. It never stops bringing surprises. It seems that it had one. (Grr ..... I'm going to stop looking for things to make it complete pretty soon!!)

The dimples not dimples but rather sheetmetal screw (bolt) holes. It's clear one was bolted up or bolted up then removed, etc. It's likely been gone for a while, but it's about to get one again.

One of the pictures is minus it's Wolf Racing wheel and just has a basic three spoke momo. The same car minus wheel is also missing it's shifter knob..... oh Lordy now there's and expensive part to replace if you can find one!!

Yea - was sanyo

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Saleen-Mustang

brings up an interesting topic - if Sanyo was ever used what model # was it.

For Kenwood the KRC-6000 had optional 40w KAC-501 amp driving rear KFC-6980 speakers. For cars with amp, where was it installed. For GT cars how were the KRC-6000 wired given there is a factory amp that would ha e to be adapted to or bypassed....

Ive done countless stereo installs on these cars and know how I would approach it but the question is how was it originally done.

Not sure yet on how much I care to try to replicate the stereo vs just putting something I pick ingiven price vs performance and lack of features vs today's Bluetooth enabled Kenwoods..
    There was a nice write up on one of the Saleen forums for all the radio options on the foxbodys. There were pictures and model numbers. Tried to find it last night but ran out of time. It was very informative.

I hear you on putting something modern in. My car is not a kenwood car so I had no problem putting a newer radio in it with an amp and sub. Sure makes for a better drive when you have good tunes. Drove mine to work today and enjoyed every minute
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

How long did the previous owner own the car? Does he know any history? Does he have the info from the person he got the car from? Just curious....
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I've reached out and will keep tracing back. Hard to say where all the Saleen parts came from. I know from shopping myself that some are hard to find but they are out there.

I have a thought. Not a good one though. Could someone somewhere along life of the car for some reason re vinned an original Saleen with a regular vin? Possibly due to theft???? Just a thought. Though not a very enjoyable one.

Saleen center cap
    Name:  IMG_4741.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  72.3 KB
    I need to swing by and see if this cap fits my wheels. If it does, then I wonder if it would be possible for Devon to 3D print replicas for use if he still has access to that equipment.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Brock - yea we should see if they will fit as I've been looking for the same wheels you have basically.

Dagenham - I had that thought as well. There have been four eyed Saleens stolen and never recovered. In that instance many of the parts would have a Saleen car number on them but none of them do that I have found.

You can bet your bottom dollar that I will have my friend who is in law enforcement check the secret places where VINs are present on four eyed foxes to make sure the vins matches everywhere. I have the title for the vin that matches what's clearly visible on the car.

again the history of who made it into a Saleen and when will tell a story.

If you have a CAD file you can upload, here is an online printing shop that I have used for various projects: www.shapeways.com
    1985 GT owned since new

I don't have a CAD program but my son has a designer program (name of it escapes me) that he uses with his ANET A8 all the time.

I have 4 more Saleen caps on the way right now. I think you may be able to also get them out of McLaren and Grand National parts bins as well. The trick is finding what fits the opening for sure. And in my case I don't have wheels yet so I'm taking a shot in the dark.

More parts arrived today.... all the brackets for the motor, a black PS pump, (thanks vdubns). Now to open the box and look them over and start cleaning. Also arrived - a NOS leather shifter boot.

still have plenty more parts on the way.

I have leads on two T5's and one blow proof bellhousing. One of the T5's is reportedly the original for the car but has a shift rod problem I would have to get fixed.

Ive also started the process of reaching out for info on the whereabouts of the cars original motor. If I fail to find it, a 1990 HO will get put in. Otherwise we shall see.

It's been a scavenger hunt...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-28-2017 at 01:29 PM.

So excited - just got leads on a 16x8 Riken 4 lug mesh wheel. I am going to look at them Saturday, can't wait!
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

So excited - just got leads on a 16x8 Riken 4 lug mesh wheel. I am going to look at them Saturday, can't wait!
    Sweet! Hopefully they are not all beat to crap.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Been following along, this and your other thread. Very cool and fascinating project. Always like the Saleen's. Look forward to seeing your progress and hearing about any more discoveries of the cars history.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

16x8 Rikens.... [edit ARE wheels] came with an ARE and two ford center caps. I had the Saleen cap already. I actually have 4 more Saleen caps and 4 Saleen stickers too. One Saleen cap came from PO of 1986-026, other 4 not sure yet as they are still in shipping and the seller never said.

also bought a K member with rack out of an 85GT. Looked in decent shape, good parts all there. [edit - glidethunders car needs the rack and my 1986 GT will use the K when I redo the car. Will transfer over the a-arms and X2s from my original 86 setup]. Thanks Joe and David for helping load everything up!

now to head back to Omaha and unload this stuff
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-01-2017 at 05:01 AM.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.

Nice score! Are the centers smooth under the Saleen decal or is the original enkei or riken logo still present? Just curious if you can tell without removing them.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Smooth on the Saleen caps. They are the real deal.
    -- James

My four eyed foxes:

past foxes -

Was asking because mine are long gone. Sometime in the 90's someone put some knockoffs on the centers of my car. This is what was on an old autotrader picture I have. When I bought the car it came with riken centers with no Saleen decals. I know Saleen made their own in the later years but just was not sure if Saleen made their own in 86 or used what came with the wheels.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

The wheels you purchased are either ARE's are Enkeis. Riken wheels do not have the flat surface area around lug nuts. The mesh/web pattern follows through to the lug area on Riken. Either way I believe Saleen used ARE and Riken. The ford center caps are likely just a decal place on a ARE Enkei or Riken Center cap

So the set of 4 was 3 real Saleens and one Riken with two "replacement stickers".

I guess it goes with the one Saleen cap I bought from a previous owner of 1986-0026 who also had his old broken map light from the resto so I bought that too....

One full set of Saleen caps for my wheels.

One mix/match set of caps that also fit but are not correct for a Saleen. An ARE, a Riken, and two ford caps.

Happy to have gotten everything unloaded and tucked away in storage. [thanks glidethunder for the help!]. Popped a few pictures of the 85 while it was out in the sunlight.

Ill wait for the mesh wheel until after its running/driving. The wheels are decent but need a full polish and the centers are darker than I want. Still trying to decide upon color for the car - thinking Medium Canyon Red with grey/silver. Do the grey belt trim like the black cars had factory.
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-01-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast