Close

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flyin5-o View Post
    Looks awesome! Love silver. Don't necessarily love blending it. What are you shooting it in? Is that a shelf and bench in your booth?
    I am a big fan of silver also. I have always loved the look of the 85/86 GT in Silver with the charcoal grey accents. Luckily this silver has no metallic to it, so much easier to spray and no worries about tiger stripes or blending. Still looks goo though and really "POPS" in the sun.

We are spraying this in Debeer paint. The color match to the original silver that we did find inside the car once disassembled was spot on. Sprays pretty well too and covers very well. This is the 5th vehicle I have sprayed in Debeer's and so far have really liked it. The 71 Mustang Grande we are repainting was the only paint brand that was spot on with the color match.

Yes, there is a storage rack and a work bench in the booth. My booth is a stand alone building, so I have setup so we can move the work bench and storage rack in and out as needed. We usually pull them out when we are spraying unless there's enough room inside for them to fit. Also depends on what we are spraying. Would love to have an actual mixing room, but since we only do custom/restoration work we don't have much need for a full mixing station. We spray a lot of House of Kolor paint on our custom stuff.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Looks great Trey.....

I bet you can't wait to start bolting all those nice parts back together to create a new car. I know that re-assembly of all the shiny bits and pieces is one of my favorite parts of the resto process.
    Last edited by JTurbo; 08-06-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

She’s going to really pop, that’s for sure!

The sail panels in charcoal modeled after the very first production 1985 is what Trey and I landed on a while ago. I’m happy to see the group here is mostly also a fan of that decision.

Now for the elephant in the room. No real word from CHP since I messaged them about what they are doing and when I’ll see a shortblock. The first answer was based upon them thinking they were sending me that same dropped engine which I said no way in hell.

I waited a few days for a better answer before I got absolutely on their case about what they did. I am really not impressed — at all.

I’m generally a really nice guy until I’m pushed to where I’m just not anymore. What a load of bull****....
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-06-2018 at 10:59 PM.

I did get at least an acknowledgement that I exist from CHP today. But that’s about it

Have yet to figure out how the hell to change the order enough to ensure I don’t get the same crap back

Maybe a Dart Block for starters? Go 347 or larger since that could carry additional mass and allow a 3.4” stroke swing around past 6500 reliably.

I absolutely do do not want any of the crap they sent the first time.

Hell — maybe a refund is the ticket

FEP Super Member

Should have bought an engine from Woody .
    He is over on the corral his stuff is top notch .
    If I did not have a valid machine shop I have been doing business with for the last 40 years , that is where I would go .
    Cancel your order , get a refund .
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 08-07-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Super Member

I believe if you look up fordstroker.com you will find Woody .

FEP Super Member

I'm like Patrick swayze in roadhouse, I'm nice until it's time to not be nice... then I tell my wife on you
    Last edited by 2nd chance cobra; 08-07-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Looking at their stuff. I am trying to talk myself into the dart block. It adds about $2K to the build. Stock should be strong enough and I don’t need more weight on the nose so it’s a process to think it through.

And the wife wife keeps throwing upgrades at the new house which is making me nervous.

I’ve officially punted on the CHP shortblock. Refund is on its way, battling out the situation with my flywheel now.

Flywheel handled.

A buddy was trying to talk me into ditching the 331 plan and going to a forged piston upgraded rod stock crank 0.030 over 9.5” deck 357W short block. His argument is with AL heads the W is lighter than an iron head 5.0.

I doubt that and I know it introduces all sorts of problems to address.

The blocks are more durable on the 351 based engines.

shrug.....

talk us into it or out of it I guess. Gotta get this engine in order again ASAP!

351W 3.00" main bearing diameter

302 2.249" main bearing diameter

You have chosen a cam with shift points in the 6500 RPM range . . . Not what you want with a 3.00" main bearing. Just my .02
    Last edited by wraithracing; 08-14-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Main Bearing Diameter Correction
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Super Member

I have been very happy with the 347 I have in my 84.
    Hundreds of pounds of nitrous , thousands of miles later , and I spin mine to 7k when ever I want .

I'd do some serious research on the weight difference. 351 and 5.0 heads are virtually identical. Plus a 351 is wider and taller. That still equates to more iron under the hood. Even with aluminum heads I bet. Also will probably not handle as good. I would stick with 5.0. Header fitment + taller deck height + possible hood clearence= more headache than necessary.

That was the side-bar Trey and I had on it also.

It would lower the effective RPM range of the cam by increasing displacement without increasing valve lift or duration but I’m sticking to an 8.2 deck height block on this build.

on my 1986GT, who knows. It might get a 427W slid back an inch with a spaced K member before it’s all said and done. Who knows.... time will tell.

I have my doubts that the 225/50/16’s will put the power a well built 331 makes to the ground......

Handling is a big deal with a Saleen — that’s what they are supposed to do!

Erratic,

Your buddy is right, an aluminum headed 351w is crazy close to the same weight as an iron headed 5.0. There’s only a 50lb difference, and you get that out of the heads. As for rpms, grinding down the casting flanges on the rods, crank, etc. and slap in some arp bolts, balance the assembly, it’ll handle 6500 rpm all day. Mine fits under the stock hood fine, but, I’ve noticed not all foxes are created equal.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t think twice about another 351. Their bottom end “grunt” is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    Erratic,

Your buddy is right, an aluminum headed 351w is crazy close to the same weight as an iron headed 5.0. There’s only a 50lb difference, and you get that out of the heads. As for rpms, grinding down the casting flanges on the rods, crank, etc. and slap in some arp bolts, balance the assembly, it’ll handle 6500 rpm all day. Mine fits under the stock hood fine, but, I’ve noticed not all foxes are created equal.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t think twice about another 351. Their bottom end “grunt” is impressive.
    All of this is true, the biggest issue at this point for James is that he has bought ALL of the parts for the 302 and would have to re-buy a ton of stuff to change to the 351W at this point in time. Yes, some of the parts are interchangeable, but many are not and that can add up very quickly. This project, I am sure is WAY OVER the original costs he wanted to spend, so adding to that at this time would be financial suicide at this point IMHO.

Bottom line its his $$ and he can do with it what he wants, but I seriously doubt anyone will be unimpressed with the 331 as spec'ed out at this time.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Super Member

If the 331 isn't enough , there is always a power adder that can be added later .

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    If the 331 isn't enough , there is always a power adder that can be added later .
    Turbos are so much fun. Not sayin. Just sayin.

I overlooked that part, Trey. STICK TO THE 5.0!!!!!!

These hobbies get stupid expensive, and if you upset momma, car will be sitting on blocks forever.

On blocks forever — that’s about the truth! At one point my 1986GT was literally put out to pasture— parked along a fence line in a field briefly. The car cover lasted about 5 min.... It made it back out of that field under its own power but not before my wife was threatening to leave. That’s when I told her I’ve had the car my entire adult life and the 86GT and I always have been and always will be a package deal.

So.... the silver Saleen build will be entertainment while that ratty old 86GT gets blown apart and completely redone. I’ve just got to get the finances aligned for that project first.

The 85 build is way-way-way over budget but will be near the top of the pyramid in terms of 85’s brought back from certain destruction and made new again.

Then there’s all the 1985 only Saleen only parts going in. Those come at a real expense. “Made of unobtanium” is the quote that sticks out the most. They are for sure in that league.

Hopefully I’ll get another rotating assembly on its way today or tomorrow. I doubt I’ll make it to any shows with the car this year at all. Very likely zero. Which is also the number of times my boat will go out and the number of times my 86GT has been driven since spring.

Its insane how busy a person can get if they are not careful!

Finally got around to dissecting all of the parts lists and such. lots of stuff to order again to keep this project on track.

then there's picking between parts. Stage1 vs Stage2 vs Stage2+ Spec clutch kits. They hold between 495 ft lbs and 650 ft lbs -- but what will hold up if I take it to the 1/4 mile dragstrip or SCCA course and be tolerable on the street?

Still shopping on the shortblocks too. I have my money back from CHP - just a bit butt-hurt about the whole experience and the month+ it burned up on us.

For those following the build...... the shortblock saga continues.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...00#post1888800

Hey guys your public awaits updates with PICS!

Quote Originally Posted by flyin5-o View Post
    Hey guys your public awaits updates with PICS!
    He's right you know......

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast