Close

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Extra awesome looking work!

Moving along, good to see some color

BTW - I read in another thread that there is an appearance of lack of interest in this rebuild (and others).

I don't think that's true - just that not everyone adds comments all the time.

For me personally, I always enjoy following these build threads, so please keep posting!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I now have 16x8 Rikens that were originally on 1 of 131 1985 Saleens. As the car progresses I'll have two full sets of mesh wheels for it. ARE 16x7 and 16x8 Rikens.

I'm tempted to get set of track day tires and put them on the AREs, but initially the car will make its debut on the AREs. At least that is the plan for now as there is no easy way to get the Rikens down to Trey until I make another run down.

My current required decision is on a shortblock to run in this car. Its SO easy for that decision to become wildly expensive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Moving along, good to see some color
    BTW - I read in another thread that there is an appearance of lack of interest in this rebuild (and others).
    I don't think that's true - just that not everyone adds comments all the time.
    For me personally, I always enjoy following these build threads, so please keep posting!
    I agree. While I do not comment all of the time, I read a majority of the content on projects! Now if we had a "like" button on posts, I would be liking a lot

Glad progress is being made, and quickly. I wish I could progress as quickly when I am into a project! Weekend warrior and part time doesn't allow quick progression sometimes! Nice work. What is the estimated ETA of completion?
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 06-10-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Things have been a bit slow lately due to my perfectionist tendencies.
    Exactly the type of person I would want to restore a car. Car is looking great. I really like that color.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I agree. While I do not comment all of the time, I read ma majority of the content on projects! Now if we had a "like" button on posts, I would be liking a lot

Glad progress is being made, and quickly. I wish I could progress as quickly when I am into a project! Weekend warrior and part time doesn't allow quick progression sometimes! Nice work. What is the estimated ETA of completion?
    Same for me.

I now have 16x8 Rikens that were originally on 1 of 131 1985 Saleens. As the car progresses I'll have two full sets of mesh wheels for it. ARE 16x7 and 16x8 Rikens.

You need a set of Hyashi Racing wheels for a 1985 Saleen clone. But since they are made of unobtanium the Rikens are the best. I think I actually like the Rikens over the Hyashi's on my 85-132. I'm not sure but actually iirc the Hyashi wheel was an option.
    Last edited by dagenham; 06-10-2018 at 08:11 PM.

85 was early in production and there was a lot of flux as the year progressed.

You are correct that for any 85 that had the 3-piece fiberglass front facia the Hyashi Racing wheels would have been used. They would have been 4-lug 15x7 exactly like those pictured on some of the well documented cars like the first few 85’s Mike Charles owns, etc.

Based upon the history I have read Enkei92 and ARE were also in the mix. Possibly in both 15” and 16” and 15x8 and 16x7 and 16x8 variations. I cannot find the article I read about this right now.

The goto late in 85 was 16” Riken. Supply and cost pressures caused variations in wheels across the year in 85 and that theme extended right into 86.

The Rikens were originally on a late 85 car with urethane front bumper. They are not correct with the 3 piece fiberglass facia .... but they are both the height and the width I had been searching for. The best of the wheel options for 85 and even 86 for that matter.

supposedly some wheels got marked with a car number. I don’t know for sure where to look for that.

The comment I made about lack of interest was after I had posted 5 years worth of work I had done to my 86GT honestly. Work that predated my membership here even.

i agree - a like button is needed.

The thing I remind myself of here and part of the reason I post so much is that posts are the only form of feedback people get. Well other than their spouse complaining about the mess in the driveway or garage.. I guess.

Sad part about my 86 is that it’s not much more right now than a running driving pile of rust that goes and stops well and has a story behind its cloud of blue smoke. Oh well

I have had a few offers on the 85 even as the build progresses but there’s no way I’ll sell it before I get to enjoy it for a while. My plan has been enjoy it and show it some while the 86 build goes on then sell the 85.

Ive done some looking and there are really very few Silver foxes out there that have stayed Silver.

i did come across one 1984 Saleen clone with the early 85 facia and Hyashi wheels done in Silver with a blue stripe kit. I can’t wait to see this car in Silver with the grey stripe kit.

All jambs and edges have been painted including the underside of the hatch and hood. New door hinge pin and bushings showed up today, so hopefully we can get the doors hung tomorrow along with the hatch and hood. We'll do our final fitment of all the body parts as well as the sideskirts, airdam, spats and then the Saleen Clone is ready for final paint!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Awaiting Restoration
    1984 SVO Restoration in Progress
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

Current Capris:
    1982 Capri Roller
    1984 Capri Returned to Bubble Back Glory
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts
    1982 Capri RS 5.0 4spd T-tops

Awesome!!

I think fresh silver will look incredible myself. Slow84lx has an ‘84 t-top coupe that’s originally silver. He says he wants to fix it back up with the original color too.

i might help him a bit.

I’m looking forward to seeing it when it’s shot.

Tormentor has an original paint turbo 84 thats silver

That 84 turbo is exceptionally rare. Afaik one of the most rare four eyed foxes. Then there is the 84 GT turbo convertibles.....

Fresh silver is going to look stunning on the '85 Saleen. I've been following along with this build as it's interesting and looking forward to seeing a freshly painted silver fox of similar vintage as that is the same plan I have for my '84 t-top coupe. I remember how much I liked the silver on it when it was new. It got a cheapo repaint, still silver, in the mid-90's but faded quickly.

I might even have to find time to drive down to Austin to see this cool beast for myself one weekend. It's just a short 3 hour drive from Dallas.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213