Close

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Got to love those clients that keep changing the project as you go along!

Mustang is in full primer body wise, except for the aero package at this time. I will get you some photos soon! Parts keep showing up daily. Things are coming together rapidly.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yea, those darn people changing stuff. Lol.

The extra GT bumper holes look sorta cool behind the Saleen facia for about 35 seconds, then as you look at the frontend it starts to get annoying. Sorry - it had to get switched.

Better now than waiting until it’s all done and deciding it has to be fixed.

That GT nose is nice and belongs on a car built out as a GT like my 86GT will be.

Was going to take way too long to send by bus. The UPS man required $300 but it gets to Trey Wednesday.

Boxed it up with 3 large boxes and 2 medium boxes joined together. Overall length is the main source of cost, FYI.

18x24x67

Is a bit complicated to build but the three large boxes are the main body. The two mediums reinforce the the top and bottom where the flaps are.

Wood glue, duct tape, and packing tape required.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-14-2018 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Yea, those darn people changing stuff. Lol.
    No problem! At least you didn't decide to replace an entire floor after the Mustang was painted . . . Like my 71 Mustang owner!

We will look for the front cover this week and get it all prepped and ready ASAP.

Thanks!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

One of the ARE wheels is a bit past it compared to the rest. Anyone have some 16x7 or 16x8 4 lug mesh wheels theywould like to sell? Trying to keep the project on target and one of the wheels I have will have to be sent out to get fixed before paint.

Are your wheels ARE or Enkei 92’s? Might be cheaper having it fixed than buying a whole other set. I had one of my original rikens fixed last month along with one of the bullitt wheels off the wife’s car from a local shop. Took a couple days to repair both. Paid $120 each to get them straightened/trued and take the road rash out. Very happy with the work. The riken looks brand new.
    Last edited by Tigger; 04-18-2018 at 01:34 AM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Waiting on a reply back from a Professional Wheel Repairer right now, unfortunately they are 1.5 hrs away otherwise, I would just run them over and get a quote.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Been following along. Any updates to report? Pics?

Progress slows to a crawl when compressors decide to act up. Updates will be coming soon. I’m going to go see all the progress myself later this week. Can’t wait! The body was really nice to start with so it will be wearing a fresh application of base/clear 1E silver paint very soon.

lots and lots of parts have went in and will ultimately yield an awesome tribute car.

if I had to do it over again
    - I’d start with a real one
    - I’d avoid a car that’s missing it’s Saleen parts as they are made of unobtanium
    - if it’s missing drive train I’d still buy it but I’d also buy an entire car that’s wrecked for parts

As I wait in anticipation to see what a Racecraft equipped car updated with panhard and better rear control arms and Ackerman corrected front spindles will do, several have asked me if 400HP will be enough.

i think so. I think many underestimate what 400 used correctly under the hood of a fox will do.

Still given cost differences if I’m buying it all anyway one piece at a time I think I’d go 351W based stroker with self tuning modern EFI setup and a T56 because I can.

If 400 is good 650 is better

That and get some 10.5” wide rear wheels with huge rear meats. (315/35/17’s

If you want some 315/35/17's we will need to make some changes to your current wheel wells!

Name:  2018-05-07 10.25.31.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  126.9 KB

Body is in full primer at this point. Sitting outside in the Texas sun to bake. We need to pull the doors off to clean up all the overspray, repaint, etc. from previous owner before we can start spraying jambs and edges with the 1E silver original color.

Once everything is jambed and edged we will reinstall the doors, hatch, hood, etc. and do our final fitment of body panels and then the fun starts with full color.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Making steady progress. Looks good

Looking good!

When we get around to doing my 86GT that one will very likely get the big meat treatment out back.

My understanding is the mod to allow for such tires is pretty simple. Mostly a BFH is required. Would be a crime to do it halfass down the road after paint but I just don’t see me going the direction of THAT big with this car.

My 86GT with its suspension mods and no rear sway bar actually understeers under hard acceleration in turns when driven aggressively. Really insane seeing a foxbody push the front and keep the rear planted! I’ll eventually put a light MM rear sway bar in along with a panhard. For now the 86 is predictable and does well at the edge, few surprises. The set of 4 245/45/17 stay planted for the most part unless I really push it.

the 225/50/16’s all the way around and the panhard should yield a similar behaviors from the 85 I hope!

we shall see how well it stays planed once it’s up and running.

The 225/50’s with mesh are what it will wear to shows, etc.

I might go to a 9” wide rear and 8.5” wide front 17” rim with more serious meats for other stuff, but only if I get tired of seeing mesh all the time. Doubt it!

315’s are really cool...... but they belong on someone else’s car, not this Saleen build. I don’t not think I want to them on my tribute build

It's all good! Just wasn't sure if you were about to throw me a new curve ball on the project!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Do you two not have each other's phone numbers, LOL???? This reads like a text transcript of a phone call, haha.

Lmao^

^^^^^^^^ HAHA!

Cars coming along well!
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

What is this phone thing you post of?

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Do you two not have each other's phone numbers, LOL???? This reads like a text transcript of a phone call, haha.
    WHOA! I am supposed to speak directly to the client/customer! That is a novel idea!

Yes, we do talk, text, and email quite often. James just likes to ponder things out loud and here on FEP so sometimes I find out about his new thoughts and ideas here before you tells me.

It's all good we are on the same page and this will be a really cool ride once we finish.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

At the insistence of Homer302 . . .

James and I met yesterday at my shop to go over the details and the build of the Mustang. After much debate and discussion we decide we are going to AERO the car!

Ok not really! Things are moving along well, I believe we have a good idea on the direction of the engine for this build as well as the rest of the misc stuff that will really set this Mustang apart.

Doors, fenders, hood, and hatch will be removed next week to clean up the hinge areas and prep the rest of the panels for painting the jambs and edges. Hopefully there will be some real color sprayed by the end of the week! Can't wait!!!!

James, Thanks for stopping by, thoroughly enjoyed visiting with you and talking with you about everything under the sun!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Catching up at the shop was a badly needed stress reducer for me. If I had any time at all I’d put on my grubbies and get to work, but it hasn’t been in the cards.

Everythibg is on track to become a widely noticed build and a proper tribute build.

I promise that if others actually saw the work Trey has done in person there would be a line of foxes out the door and down the road waiting to have the old and rusty car knocked out of them.

The F350 Supercab truck they were working on when I dropped my 85 off was freshly painted and was in the process of assembly. And it was SICK how straight and beautiful it is.

Guaranteed there was never a fox that rolled off the line new that had lines as straight and sharp and true as what I see now on this 85.

It was my first time seeing it after it was stripped to bare metal, had a roof swap, was straightened, and coated in layers of build primer and meticulously blocked.

cant wait to see it with 1E silver, PPG trim paint, and the correct types of clearcoat!

Kenny Brown’s site now show street cafes available. These are the very same cage available with the Racecraft suspension HPM cars built in the mid 80’s. Strongly considering it!

i also found some more mesh wheels. Reportedly 16x8 and originally from an early Saleen. Rikens it looks like.

The price is right so I’m buying them regardless of what can or can’t get done with the ARE’s.

Not sure what I’m doing with them yet. A 16x8 in back would be a nice stagger. Or Maybe I’ll have them widened to x9.5 or 10 and do some fill around the Center to make them look like the ARE’s.

so very similar but so very much not the same!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by erratic50; 05-12-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Made it out with my 86GT yesterday. As the photos attest, it had been sitting in storage long enough for plenty of dust to collect on it. It gets a bit more ratty every time I see it. There won’t be too many outings left for the old gal before it’s time to enjoy the 85 while the 86 is getting completely blown apart and reformed from the ground up.

Im slowly coming around to the idea of basically doing a body swap. A straight rust free 86 shell in the rockers, floors, torque boxes, rear frame rails, and roof would be a very good start for that build. The alternative is a big stack of repair panels and a ton of time.

Either way there won’t be that much of the original 1/2 million mile car left. Parts wise I already have a facia, hood, fenders, doors, and hatch that can replace the rotten mess that’s there.

Im just glad the 85 is the polar opposite of my 86 in the body condition department. There are few foxes around that are as nice in the bones as the 85 now that the roof swap is finished.

Trey - we need new pictures of your handy work to stare at and admire.

+1....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    +1....
    I have to get out to the shop and download them from the camera. Sorry been tied up with the parents for several days I will get some ASAP!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Things have been a bit slow lately due to my perfectionist tendencies. The car is coming along great! There were a few areas that I wasn't as happy with after we blocked everything out again. Nothing major, just a few areas that couple be flatter and straighter. Just a bit more time and attention and now I am very happy with how the whole body is looking. So . . . . . . Now that all the body work and primer for the body is wrapped up its time to start spraying some color FINALLY!!!!!

Here we go!

To Help you see the difference Engine Bay in Primer

Name:  DSC03063.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  73.1 KB

Engine Bay in Color

Name:  2018-06-08 10.55.47.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  115.0 KB

Underside of the Hood in Primer

Name:  2018-06-08 10.55.28.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  63.0 KB

Underside of the Hood In Color

Name:  2018-06-08 13.50.19.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  62.1 KB

Another Engine Bay in color including the Fender Edge

Name:  2018-06-08 10.55.52.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  122.9 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Door Shell inners in color

Name:  2018-06-08 13.50.25.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  2018-06-08 13.50.37.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  62.4 KB

Hatch Underside in color

Name:  2018-06-08 13.50.31.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  58.7 KB

That's all the pics I have right now. I will post up some better ones as we continue. We are replacing the roller and pin on the passenger door and waiting on new hinge pins and bushings to arrive either Monday or Tuesday. Once the door is repaired, we will hang the doors back on the body as well as the hatch and hood so we can get the entire body sprayed.

I just got the rear axle housing back from the powder coater and it looks great! I will grab a picture of that tomorrow and post it up.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller