Close

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Extra awesome looking work!

Moving along, good to see some color

BTW - I read in another thread that there is an appearance of lack of interest in this rebuild (and others).

I don't think that's true - just that not everyone adds comments all the time.

For me personally, I always enjoy following these build threads, so please keep posting!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

I now have 16x8 Rikens that were originally on 1 of 131 1985 Saleens. As the car progresses I'll have two full sets of mesh wheels for it. ARE 16x7 and 16x8 Rikens.

I'm tempted to get set of track day tires and put them on the AREs, but initially the car will make its debut on the AREs. At least that is the plan for now as there is no easy way to get the Rikens down to Trey until I make another run down.

My current required decision is on a shortblock to run in this car. Its SO easy for that decision to become wildly expensive.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Moving along, good to see some color
    BTW - I read in another thread that there is an appearance of lack of interest in this rebuild (and others).
    I don't think that's true - just that not everyone adds comments all the time.
    For me personally, I always enjoy following these build threads, so please keep posting!
    I agree. While I do not comment all of the time, I read a majority of the content on projects! Now if we had a "like" button on posts, I would be liking a lot

Glad progress is being made, and quickly. I wish I could progress as quickly when I am into a project! Weekend warrior and part time doesn't allow quick progression sometimes! Nice work. What is the estimated ETA of completion?
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 06-10-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Things have been a bit slow lately due to my perfectionist tendencies.
    Exactly the type of person I would want to restore a car. Car is looking great. I really like that color.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I agree. While I do not comment all of the time, I read ma majority of the content on projects! Now if we had a "like" button on posts, I would be liking a lot

Glad progress is being made, and quickly. I wish I could progress as quickly when I am into a project! Weekend warrior and part time doesn't allow quick progression sometimes! Nice work. What is the estimated ETA of completion?
    Same for me.

I now have 16x8 Rikens that were originally on 1 of 131 1985 Saleens. As the car progresses I'll have two full sets of mesh wheels for it. ARE 16x7 and 16x8 Rikens.

You need a set of Hyashi Racing wheels for a 1985 Saleen clone. But since they are made of unobtanium the Rikens are the best. I think I actually like the Rikens over the Hyashi's on my 85-132. I'm not sure but actually iirc the Hyashi wheel was an option.
    Last edited by dagenham; 06-10-2018 at 08:11 PM.

85 was early in production and there was a lot of flux as the year progressed.

You are correct that for any 85 that had the 3-piece fiberglass front facia the Hyashi Racing wheels would have been used. They would have been 4-lug 15x7 exactly like those pictured on some of the well documented cars like the first few 85’s Mike Charles owns, etc.

Based upon the history I have read Enkei92 and ARE were also in the mix. Possibly in both 15” and 16” and 15x8 and 16x7 and 16x8 variations. I cannot find the article I read about this right now.

The goto late in 85 was 16” Riken. Supply and cost pressures caused variations in wheels across the year in 85 and that theme extended right into 86.

The Rikens were originally on a late 85 car with urethane front bumper. They are not correct with the 3 piece fiberglass facia .... but they are both the height and the width I had been searching for. The best of the wheel options for 85 and even 86 for that matter.

supposedly some wheels got marked with a car number. I don’t know for sure where to look for that.

The comment I made about lack of interest was after I had posted 5 years worth of work I had done to my 86GT honestly. Work that predated my membership here even.

i agree - a like button is needed.

The thing I remind myself of here and part of the reason I post so much is that posts are the only form of feedback people get. Well other than their spouse complaining about the mess in the driveway or garage.. I guess.

Sad part about my 86 is that it’s not much more right now than a running driving pile of rust that goes and stops well and has a story behind its cloud of blue smoke. Oh well

I have had a few offers on the 85 even as the build progresses but there’s no way I’ll sell it before I get to enjoy it for a while. My plan has been enjoy it and show it some while the 86 build goes on then sell the 85.

Ive done some looking and there are really very few Silver foxes out there that have stayed Silver.

i did come across one 1984 Saleen clone with the early 85 facia and Hyashi wheels done in Silver with a blue stripe kit. I can’t wait to see this car in Silver with the grey stripe kit.

All jambs and edges have been painted including the underside of the hatch and hood. New door hinge pin and bushings showed up today, so hopefully we can get the doors hung tomorrow along with the hatch and hood. We'll do our final fitment of all the body parts as well as the sideskirts, airdam, spats and then the Saleen Clone is ready for final paint!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Awesome!!

I think fresh silver will look incredible myself. Slow84lx has an ‘84 t-top coupe that’s originally silver. He says he wants to fix it back up with the original color too.

i might help him a bit.

I’m looking forward to seeing it when it’s shot.

Tormentor has an original paint turbo 84 thats silver

That 84 turbo is exceptionally rare. Afaik one of the most rare four eyed foxes. Then there is the 84 GT turbo convertibles.....

Fresh silver is going to look stunning on the '85 Saleen. I've been following along with this build as it's interesting and looking forward to seeing a freshly painted silver fox of similar vintage as that is the same plan I have for my '84 t-top coupe. I remember how much I liked the silver on it when it was new. It got a cheapo repaint, still silver, in the mid-90's but faded quickly.

I might even have to find time to drive down to Austin to see this cool beast for myself one weekend. It's just a short 3 hour drive from Dallas.

I’m excited to see it painted also!

I’m going to be either driving it or pulling it up through the DFW area on my way back to Omaha once it’s done. Bought an F250 so I’ll have something that doesnt Care if there is weight behind. I’m looking at new enclosed trailers right now. The car isn’t going to be a trailer queen but it is going to spend some time in a trailer.

A little off topic Eratic but I bought a '12 F150 ecoboost about 8 months ago. It has the heavy tow package 11,000 pounds. It doesn't seem to care about an enclosed trailer with a fox body either. Really love the truck so far.
    BTW. I would love to see this car in person when it's done. I'll admit to not being a fan of silver but the darker stripes will make it I think.
    Last edited by dagenham; 06-23-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Sorry for lack of updates. I wanted to get the sound deadening installed before we hang the doors back on the body to make it easier on us. I ordered a new spray gun for the sound deadening material and sure enough when it showed up it was destroyed. So had to deal with the hassle of getting that replaced and as usual they were not quick about it. The gun finally showed up today, so that is the good news. In the mean time we started overhauling the door internals with new guide bushings, new lock actuators, and replacement window motors as well as some sound deadening in the door shell to help lower the interior noise. We also replaced the roller for the hold open on the lower hinge on the passenger side as well as new hinge pin and bushings.

We installed the sound deadening mat in specific areas and will spray the liquid dampening product throughout the vehicle to reduce the interior noise level. We are not going crazy with the sound deadening, just trying to make some improvements for those long cruises, but keep the Fox Muscle just loud enough you know you aren't riding in a Lincoln. Ok, enough chit chat and finally some pictures which is what I know everyone really wants. Nothing too exciting right now, but the car is slowly going back together so that is a good thing.

Name:  2018-06-23 15.06.05.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  166.1 KB

Name:  2018-06-23 15.06.20.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  148.0 KB

Name:  2018-06-23 15.06.47.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  2018-06-23 15.06.57.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  2018-06-23 15.07.03.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  154.5 KB
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Nice work Trey

FEP Member

looks great.what sound deadening is that?and how much of it?

https://gtsoundcontrol.com/

That is 56 sq ft of the GT Mat Onyx Black.

We will be spraying an additional 2 gallons of the Dead Stop Liquid https://gtsoundcontrol.com/collectio...dener-spray-on in addition to the mat. Should make a nice improvement to the vehicle without adding too much weight. If you wanted to do the entire floor areas and the firewall you would definitely want to use the 75 sq/ft or 100 sq/ft kit for the mat. Just depends on how much you want to spend and how quite you want to try and make the interior.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Looking great! I cant wait to see the 1E silver sprayed as thats the color my Capri was born with and will be going back
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Great progress on the body, Trey.

Happier than my wallet to report that a CHP “Street Fighter” 331 shortblock and custom cam are on order now. Ending up at 10:1 compression with what turned out to be 60CC heads. The CHP is fully balanced and blueprinted and was bought with a main girdle kit also.

the Edelbrock heads have received a freshening on the valves and seats as they showed some signs of abnormal wear like a cam that was just too wild on valves crashing into the seats at high RPM, etc. how much of a bargain they were given I had a $600 purchase price and now I’m putting in parts and labor ...... remains to be seen.

The goal of the engine build will be area under the curve for torque and horsepower between 1000 and 6500.

After doing a lot of reading I confirmed what I’ve thought all along - there is far greater stress on engine internals and blocks due to piston and rod weight at high RPM than there is due to internal combustion pressure — except and unless there is detonation.

Measure have to be taken to keep piston, rings, and connecting rod mass in check or as RPM rises the pressures on the block become excessive and they split. Especially true with a thin cast roller block.

Because of this I chose CHP’s more Stock like rods rather than H-beam. H-beams are said by some builders to limit out at 6000 unless some design revisions are done. Some builders strongly encourage I beam rods instead going beyond 6000. It also seems like there is a bit of a trend with splitting Stock blocks ran past 6000 that have a non- revised H-beam rod.

In order to keep mass down while having enough meat in the rods to be rated for 550 HP at 6500 the street fighter was chosen. This is well above my targeted performance goal.

since this engine is a 331 instead of a 302 like I had planned, output should go up around 10%. The original build was essentially a copy of a few magazine builds that got just over 400 HP peak out of a 302 and made over 300 lbs of torque from 1200 on..... using a factory Ford shortblock as the base. Heck, one of those builds used a stock HO cam!

A blueprinted and zeroed block and fresh stroker rotating assembly with a custom cam had better produce the goods! Maybe we’ll get enough output on the dyno when it’s getting dialed in before installation to be able to conservatively estimate over 400 at the wheels. Whatever it makes will be plenty as long as it’s more than Stock and it’s reliable.

Dagenham - there is not a single hill between Austin and Omaha that was able to pull my MarkLT down below 75 mph, but with the Hypertech tune in my 5.4 Triton that takes it from 330 HP and 365 ftlbs up to 365HP and 405 ftlbs seems a bit buggy. It gets a little rev happy at times for my taste. At WOT my MarkLT will run 2nd up to around 85 so if you are rolling 80 and it goes to WoT on a hill it was happy to downshift which I did not like. Pretty sure I could tune that behavior out of it if I worked on it.

malfunctioning trailer brakes made for a lot more weight to stop with a 150 than should be attempted too.

The blunt nose 16x8.5x8 enclosed trailer I took the car down to Trey with had floor wells for 8 motorcycles inside and is steel frame. It was stupid heavy - over 9000 empty. Tack on a Fox you’re at 12000. Then add a 6000 lb truck and your at 18K — conservatively. Probably more factoring in the extra rear diff and some of the other redundant parts.

A 3.5L Ecoboost does well at 375HP and 470lbs of torque no doubt. More gears like 6 or 10 rather than 4 would likely help also. But the brakes are the same and the overall weight of the 150 is about the same until Ford switched away from steel.... then it got lighter which does not help with authority when towing weight around.

The F250 has an EFI 460. 490lbs of torque by 1800. 8700 lbs worth of truck. Up to the task on power and braking. Damn thing gets 16- 18 going down the interstate at 80 empty with the cruise set too. we will see how the old gal does once there is a heavy trailer behind it.

My MarkLT gets 11.5-12 pulling a 4500-5000 lb boat at 80. 6.5 going down and 7 coming back — not fun.

Wasn't a fan of my gutless 5.4 triton. Of course having highway gears didn't help. New truck is supercab with eight foot bed 4wd. Weighs 6180 empty and has gvw of 8200.
    Damn thats a heavy trailer. My 24 foot enclosed is only 7700 gvw.
    Enough about tow rigs. Back to the awesome build thread.
    Last edited by dagenham; 06-25-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast