Close

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Well ...... another stack of $$$ down the rat hole on used parts. With every trick known to man the 3.55’s I picked up for the build still growl. Time to circular file them before they mess with someone else’s day too I guess.

Bummer.

Fighting the temptation to grab a different ratio while I’m getting gears again.

The ratio math vs tire size suggests a 3.55 with a 0.59 .... given enough power .... will run past 200 and let’s face it - there is no shortage of power going in.

Hell - a stock 5.0L Mustang was found to top out at 148.5 MPH by car and driver and they never bothered to advance the base timing or remove the air inlet silencer on the SD car they tested it on.

Guess I’ll sleep on it then get crap ordered so the 8.8 build can wrap up.

It might be the installer and not the gears . . . you never know for sure!

Very frustrating and disappointing at this point. I thought I would have the entire rear suspension, exhaust, etc. installed and the car would be sitting on freshly painted and polished Enkeis and BFGs right now!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I installed a used set of 3.55ís in my Saleen a couple years ago. They were the original gears out of my 91 ranger. They had about 70k on them when I took them out. Never installed gears before. I struggled and struggled to get a good pattern. I had pulled the entire axle as I was redoing all the bushings, lines and bearings etc. It made it easier to fool with it. I couldnt imagine doing all that back and forth stuff under the car on jack stands. I finally took the axle to my mechanic friend to finish. He put the 373ís in my tigger car years ago (those were new). I wanted to take the car to an upcoming show so I wanted it done. Plus I was done fooling with it. He got it the best he could. He explained that used gears tend to want to mesh where they were meshing before in their original housing. The more wear they have the more they tend to veer to their previous wear pattern. Your never going to get a text book pattern. Makes sense. I stabbed it back in and have been driving it since. For the most part the gears are quiet. They only make a tiny bit of noise under deceleration at highway speeds (coast side). I can live with that. Most of the time I dont hear it anyway as my sub/radio are always hitting. Next time I attempt to do a gear swap Iím going new. I think it will be a much easier to get the pattern where it needs to be. Especially for a rookie. Iím sure you guys will get things figured out.
    Last edited by Tigger; 02-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

The pattern has actually been pretty good and everything is within specs, but the gear just ROAR when rotating in reverse. I have no idea how LOUD that would be actually under power in the car. Might work out just fine, but since I can't road test them easily right now it gives me major concerns.

I have played around with pinion depth, backlash settings, etc. and nothing seems to make it better, so my recommendation is new gears. Could just be that the wear pattern on these gears doesn't like this housing and differential and might work just fine in another setup. Then again, the gears make just be noisy no matter what you do at this point. I have no idea how they were set up before and if there were any issues with them before, so again I would prefer to use NEW gears and not have issues once we get the Saleen clone on the road.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Was able to get some work done in spite of the recent issues.

The tail pipes are installed, the chassis mount of the panhard rod is mounted, and the suspension is essentially back together.

Name:  2019-02-14 18.05.21.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  125.4 KB

Name:  2019-02-14 18.05.04.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  2019-02-14 18.05.30.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  111.5 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Great progress.

FEP Supporter

Looks good. I always purchased ford Motorsport gears for my cars. The last set installed by a shop we’re little noisy and hope this set is better.

Patrick

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425