Close

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Overall a productive day, but not a spectacular photo day.

Cleaned up the K member brace and re-sprayed it red. The first picture is what I started with. Second is after using my Eastwood SCT to strip it to bare metal. Then I forgot to take a picture of it painted.

Name:  2018-12-09 09.38.04.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  2018-12-09 09.41.18.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  83.6 KB

The differential is rebuilt with the ring gear installed and torqued.

Name:  2018-12-09 16.05.37.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  102.5 KB

The rear end housing has the new upper control arm bushings installed.

Name:  2018-12-09 16.05.44.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  88.4 KB

The pinion gear is bolted into the case, but this car didn't have a driveshaft and so I don't have any bolts for the driveshaft flange to bolt down the holding tool for torquing the pinion nut down. Couldn't find any spares at the shop, so I am going to have to jack up my RS and borrow some or else pick some up at Fastenal.

I also drove out the axle bearing from the rear end housing. The front and rear springs were degreased and cleaned up for new Red paint. I also pressed out the ball joints in the new replacement front lower control arms in order to press in the new Ford Sn95 lower ball joints. Then I will begin reassembling the front suspension. The Koni struts, shocks, and quads are all clean and ready for new paint also. Should have a lot more pictures of progress in the next couple of days.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

There are four new 12 pt 12mm driveshaft bolts there with all the other new fasteners I bought. I have a driveshaft for it. Unfortunately the Ford Racing shafts are too long for the foxbody by around 3/8”.

I was going to put the AL shaft on my 86 and put the OE shaft on here. Maybe I’ll just order another AL shaft that’s the correct fox length.

Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I was going to put the AL shaft on my 86 and put the OE shaft on here. Maybe I’ll just order another AL shaft that’s the correct fox length.
    I’m running an AWD Aerostar Al shaft on my Saleen. I’m using my original yoke and flange. It shaved off like 13 lbs if I remember correctly. I’ve had no problems with it. It’s a cheap alternative.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    There are four new 12 pt 12mm driveshaft bolts there with all the other new fasteners I bought. I have a driveshaft for it.
    Thanks! I didn't remember that, I will sort thru the parts and put my hands on them.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I’ve considered the Aerostar route. They are getting hard to find. There is no guarantee a salty stroker won’t twist it up like a pretzel.

These things factored together I’m going to either put an OE ford steel shaft in or upgrade it to an Aluminum shaft that is rated for about double of what the engine can produce.

the main reason I’m not just going with the shaft from my 86 is one of logistics. It’s in NE and the car is in TX.

That and the slip yoke on that shaft is basically shot. nobody seems to make an exact replacement. The ones I’ve ordered are all larger diameter designed for the AL shaft and require some rather odd adapter U joints ..... yes they could work but it looks like a source of vibration to me.

Not quite the productive day I had hoped for, but progress was still made.

SN95 ball joints pressed into the new lower control arms and ready for install.

Name:  2018-12-11 14.27.57.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  131.3 KB

SVO spindles as delivered. Definitely need a little clean up before install.

Name:  2018-12-11 15.07.24.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  97.4 KB

Taped up snout ready to be blasted.

Name:  2018-12-11 15.10.40.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  100.5 KB

New dust shield on the left and old crusty one on the right after some hammer and dolly work to straighten out the dents and damage.

Name:  2018-12-11 15.06.35.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  105.6 KB

Everything all cleaned up and ready for some new paint.

Name:  2018-12-11 16.22.25.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  118.3 KB

I also got the Koni struts, shocks, and quads all repainted and ready for install. I blasted the front sway bar brackets and some other misc hardware/pieces, but didn't get pictures of those. I need to clean up the front and rear sway bars and a new coat of paint on them. Need to swap the sending unit into the fuel tank and then it's ready for install.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

More progress! It’s taking shape what we imagined is becoming a reality!

Had some ups and downs yesterday on my end. Definitely not closing on the new house this Friday. The hold up is due to a banker that is basically a moron. Also additionally he doesn’t know how to answer a phone ..... or return calls. I’ve started the application process with another bank and if I have my way I’ll fire the original bank but I have to make certain I close before my old house so I have time to move.

My dad heads in for a 2nd try at a knee replacement later this morning. Had 1/2 knee before and it was rejected by the natural side of the joint causing huge inflammation and tons of pain constantly. I sure hope he comes through the surgery all ok and they get him a knee he can use this time around. 3:00 am posts are sometimes FOR sanity.

Hope all works out with the house and that your Dad's procedure goes as planned.

It’s looking great! You’re doing what I wish I could do. I would love to go through the entire car. You’ll have a “new” ‘85 in the end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you paint the spindles do you mask where the caliper slides? I used POR15 and Im wondering if it will cause me problems as I didn't mask the machined areas.
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior

Got back home a while ago. My dad got through knee replacement ok. They had him already up and walking which is just insane to me...... they found the source of all of his pain - the adhesive that bonds the replacement knee to the bone had let go and was allowing the 1/2 knee move around on the bone! No wonder it could never “wear in” on the natural side and hurt so much and was so full of scar tissue. He’s already in less pain now 10 hrs after the full knee replacement than he had been for the last 13 months.

had to go recover files off my aunts computer for the social security administration following my uncle’s recent death - that was a bit of a job but it’s done now.

back to dreaming about fast silver foxes

Glad to hear your Dad's surgery went well and he is feeling better with less pain.

I spent 1/2 the day at the doctor's office yesterday for my Dad to have out patient surgery on his second fistula in his right arm. They had to go and insert two balloons into the veins in the fistula to open them up. Hopefully this one will work for dialysis after the left arm fistula collapsed and was not longer viable. Everything went well and he is doing fine. Dropped him off at dialysis this morning.

Ok, back to trying to finish the parent's home remodel and then out to the shop to work on Foxes.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Well - glad they got your dad fixed up. As we age it’s always something that’s for sure!

my dad made it home from the hospital, now to mend up.

Fuming mad at my mortgage company and builder right now. The builder sat on their fanny and didn’t get the grading and sod and paint done this fall when it should have been done even though I was on their case repeatedly about it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was supposed to close on my new house.

Well - the mortgage company is refusing to escrow for the sod and paint and is calling the house incomplete — and refuse to close.

the builder is trying to charge me $81/day — their construction note — for being late to close even though the house is not done. That work can’t be done until spring now - it’s 20 degrees outside most days!

Meanwhile my current house is sold and that closes 1/7. So unless I get this stalemate broken up my family will be without a home until I get through the process with a mortgage company that’s reasonable. Usually it’s impossible to close in less than 30 starting from square one.

meanwhile I’m flushing $81/day down the toilet because I’m powerless to the builder until I get the new one closed. Looking at moving twice plus storage costs if something doesn’t go my way here and quickly. Arg...
    Last edited by erratic50; 12-15-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year ��
    Seriously though I hope you get this straightened out. It sounds like it's time for a lawyer��
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Merry Christmas and Happy new year 
    Seriously though I hope you get this straightened out. It sounds like it's time for a lawyer
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

So what does your contract with the builder say? I would think he should be paying you for not finishing the project in time not you paying him? He should know you cannot close unless the house is complete? Hopefully you have some correspondence in writing that shows your requests to finish those items. I kinda agree, its lawyer time.

When I was growing up my Grandpa built houses and sold them on property he developed. He was a civil/structural engineer. The last house he did, he designed for a couple. The husband was getting an inheritance and was going to use the money to build the house of their dreams. My grandpa did not agree with the layout but it is how the wife wanted it so that is how he designed it. The framer screwed up the main kitchen window over the sink and had it 4 inches lower than it should have been. My grandpa said they could fix it at his cost or they could leave it as is. They said to leave it. Shortly before the house was finished he got a letter from their lawyer that they were backing out for breech of contract and wanted the money they had paid for the lot and down payment. The main issue was the window. Unfortunately the contract my grandpa used left holes where the buyer could back out easy in many ways and he did not get anything in writing that they would accept the window lower than what it should have been. My grandpa didn't have a leg to stand of because of these items. We think something happened with his inheritance. anyway....The house was 95% complete at that time. All that was left to do was the driveway and the landscaping. The summer of my Junior to Senior year of high school was spent grading and forming the driveway as well as doing the landscaping. We had to finish those items in order to get a mortgage on it. He kept it as a rental for a couple years and ended up selling it for a loss.

Hope you get your issue straightened out so you can enjoy the holidays.
    Last edited by Tigger; 12-17-2018 at 09:58 PM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Tell the builder he can tarp the house and use heaters to heat up the areas that need to be painted, so the painters can finish the outside. They do it all the time in Colorado. Major PITA, but that isn't YOUR problem. If he can't understand what has to be done to finish a house he shouldn't be in construction.

The sod issue is another stupid one too, but worse case, he can have sod shipped in from somewhere warmer and lay the sod to satisfy the mortgage company. Obviously not going to actually survive come spring, but it solves the issue for now. What a F'ing idiot! Sorry Buddy!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Yea, no doubt!

quite an assumption on the builder’s part that I would accept an incomplete house, that’s for sure.

I found a lender that is willing to accept an escrow for the stuff, but the race is on. Can I get closed before I have to be out of my old house is THE question right now.

I don't know all the different Nebraska laws, but talked to my mother who has sold real estate for 40 years in TX, AZ, and LA. She confirmed what I thought, first ALL exterior painting MUST be complete for a house to "complete" and able to sell. The sod may be a neighborhood/HOA thing or could be Nebraska law. The final grading (Drainage and Elevation Pattern) must be completed. The builder had to provide that to the building department/subdivision and he should know that he has to finish grade the lot to that design in order for the property to sell-able.

Bottom line at this point, you need to an official document from the lender stating the reasons why they will not fund the loan. Then you need to have an attorney (Real Estate) send a certified letter to the builder attaching the bank letter and stating that YOU are not responsible for his construction loan charges and he has X number of days to remedy the situation. Also find out about your interest rate lock with your lender. If you lose your rate and it goes higher, the builder should have to pay the points to get a comparable rate at the new time of closing. That last part should be included in the letter from the attorney.

At this point, you need legal help to fight the builder. He is in breach of contract and talking is no longer an option. You need to protect yourself legal with documented communications and negotiations. I don't know Nebraska law, but in TX and most other states the builder has to provide you with a Certificate of Occupancy. That is generally done by the local inspection authority (City/County) and if the builder can not/does not have a C of O, the house is NOT COMPLETE and therefore is not ready for sale and the bank can NOT close the loan.

OH! You also need to discuss with the Real Estate Attorney all the previous issues you have had with this builder in regards to the house, framing issues, etc. that you and I have discussed. Probably don't need to be stated in your letter, but any and all documentation in regards to those issues will help your legal case.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 12-18-2018 at 08:35 AM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Completely agree with everything that Trey typed. This situation needs some talented, professional, and paid people working on your behalf to get it straightened out. It will be worth every penny that it costs and will probably cost a lot less than what you were looking at yesterday.

Best wishes & Good luck!
    Last edited by slow84lx; 12-18-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Much appreciated gang! I’ve got the ball rolling on representation.

Yes, I agree with Trey that you need to get some Legal advice
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Man! I’ve been so busy with my own silly little problems that I haven’t been checking in on your progress. It sucks you’re having such problems with something that should be an exciting and fun time for you.

i wish you well and hope the lawyers don’t screw it up too much for you.

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast