Close

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    I agree. It was a medium Canyon Red and gold stripes car originally-- I believe.

We can either paint the correct stripes on 006 or get a "standard" three color stripe kit when the time comes.

There were a few stripe delete cars believe it or not.

Check out how the sail panel is painted white but the trim around the windows stayed the satin black trim paint.
    Painting stripes on is generally more $$ than installing a decal/sticker. Obviously painting a 3 color stripe is even more expensive.

The 3 color stripe looks more "Correct" to me, but again I don't claim to be the Saleen expert and I Did Not sleep at a Holiday Day Inn Express last night either.

The reason the roof rail is not body color on any of the Saleen cars (that I can remember) is that is the way it came from Ford. The Sail Panels I believe were not body color either and Saleen then painted them. Although IIRC Ford did offer some colors with body color sail panels.

To my knowledge the only roof rails that were painted body color were the SVO models which also had the body color sail panels too. IMHO the roof rail not being body color when the sail panels are looks "goofy" since the roof rail sits over the top of the sail panel, but I guess that would be "Original"
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-20-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Reallly cool project. Always loved the Saleens. I will be continuing to watch this thread and living vicariously through you!
    '79 Fairmont Futura
    '79 Mercury Zephyr wagon
    '83 LTD Wagon - future Mustang "Sport" Wagon
    '84 Mercury Capri RS - 5.0 5spd
    Owner of Victory Engines and Machining, LLC
    g2G

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post

The reason the roof rail is not body color on any of the Saleen cars (that I can remember) is that is the way it came from Ford. The Sail Panels I believe were not body color either and Saleen then painted them. Although IIRC Ford did offer some colors with body color sail panels.

To my knowledge the only roof rails that were painted body color were the SVO models which also had the body color sail panels too. IMHO the roof rail not being body color when the sail panels are looks "goofy" since the roof rail sits over the top of the sail panel, but I guess that would be "Original"
    An interesting discussion......From what I remember reading in the Redeker book, only the white and Red cars had their sail panels painted body color by Saleen. The black and grey cars were supposedly left alone. It did not mention about the single digit color cars. I kinda think it was what ever they felt would look good back then? If you look at 86-120, it does not have painted sail panels however 85-035 does. As for the roof rails I have seen them both ways. The LT regatta blue 86 that is near me has painted sail panels and the roof rail is body color as well. The car looks original to me and has been sitting since 98.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Painted on stripes vs stickers - stickers is what they had and is plenty good enough especially since paint would cost more.

Body color rail vs black.... agreed, they were a bit goofy above the sail panel. Its "normal" for a four eyed Saleen but its odd ball.

I like the roof rails being black matching the doors, but above the sail panel it is strange. Other than cost I don't know why Saleen didn't taped it off and shoot body color to make it look less odd-ball above the sail panels.

Perhaps that should be one subtle detail where the build will deviate from the crude way Saleen did it and the decision to do so is made on purpose.

I'm fine with either roof rails go body color or the get taped off at the sail panel and shot there so the lines match. builder's choice Trey -- I told you we'd make sure this one stays fun.

shopping for exhaust right now. I have correct honest to goodness 1985 mufflers and tail pipes on the Saleen right now but some idiot ripped off the H-pipe with cats and went to offroad setup. The headers are still stock 85's.

No way a stock 85 header will support an Edelbrock head motor. I've got to get some shorty headers for it. I'm thinking 2.5" exit with 1 5/8" shorty pipes feeding an H with cats.

The stock 2.25" should be big enough to keep up out back initially but if it doesn't sound how I want it to bigger/better stuff will for sure go on.

I probably should sell the cat-back to someone that's doing an all original restoration and get something low-buck in 2.5" from Dynomax honestly. With so few miles on the factory stuff they are in extra nice condition. Open to discussions on that .......

Life throws curveballs and sometimes you just have to go with it.

Much to our surprise - upon removing the interior there is a ton of silver under the carpets, etc.

Going to go to the buck tag to verify as the teardown continues but it would seem this 85 might not be a rare 2A medium Canyon Red car like the jams and under hood had suggested. Someone seems to have painstakingly switched it earlier in its life.

What color did it start out as?

shockingly it seems like it may have been born the rare "1E Silver Metallic".

The significance of this depends upon your point of view; however, to be correct to the car and a tribute to how Saleens were built starting off with a minty fresh Mustang and painting the added parts only means the color should be decided by the car's original info on the tag.

Another bit of trivia -- there were exactly 0 1985 silver Saleens built. All the more reason to go with it on this tribute car if the details prove out.

Ive never believed in driving a horse with no name. My black 86 was named Trigger after Roy Roger's horse, and also after the bandit's name for his ride....

the name for this horse may be becoming apparent. Will have to ask the Lone Ranger if he recognizes it.

Stay tuned.

celebrating one win - the floors are as rust free as they looked. There are a few dents to massage out but for a well neglected left for dead 85 the old gal has a great body!

the seats and passenger area carpets are down right rediculous too which saves a ton of money too. Steam clean and go from there.

A full under hood harness and a 3G conversion kit and window/door/hatch seal kit will arrive shortly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-21-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Buck tag confirms, the car was originally Silver. So silver it is.

here are the mods vs a factory 85GT

full Saleen Racecraft suspension
    saleen lower K brace
    MM struttower brace
    MM subframe connectors
    MM panhard bar
    MM upper and lower control arms
    87 Saleen offset rack bushings

Fox width 8.8 converted to Tbird disc via Northern racing, 3.55 gears
    SVO spindles
    SN95 low friction balljoints
    SVO to SN95 balljoints/spindle adapters
    Stoptech slotted rotors
    Hawk pads
    MM clutch quadrant kit

90HO roller engine enhanced to ~400 HP/TQ
    EFI friendly COMP cam (plan for future)
    Edelbrock heads, air gap intake
    Edelbrock 600 CFM
    Shorty headers
    2.5" H pipe with flowmaster cats

Fortified WC T5 with one piece steel bearing retainer
    aluminum flywheel
    carbon fiber stage 2 clutch and pressure plate
    hurst shifter

16" Mesh wheels with Saleen center caps
    Full 84-85 Saleen body kit
    saleen stripe kit
    Saleen 1985-06 badging
    350 MM momo steering wheel

The car should go, stop, and turn great when it's done.

If it goes as planned the car will be beautiful and one of a kind -- the only early 84-85 Saleen body kit car ever built in silver. I am breaking the bank on this build for sure.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-23-2018 at 04:21 AM.

Still shopping for cat-back kits. Trying to avoid the dreaded drone while keeping the cost down and the exhaust note spirited but not obnoxious. If it's noisy to the point that conversation is uncomfortable on the interstate at 80, I'm going to be steamed.

Then of course the tail pipes must look the part or their presence is all for nothing.

Ive most definitely spent longer listening to the 2.5" MAC catback I had on my 1986 GT for over 200K miles than any other exhaust kit out there. It looks like they might still make the very kit I had. I still remember when Paul from HP Motorsports talked me into the MAC kit I installed back in 1998. HPM had several but still had one MAC kit on the shelf open box. Paul said it had exactly one dyno pull made with it and made me a deal indicating the kit was leftovers from a racecar testing.

So it goes -- impossible to say what race car might be wearing mufflers that are not MAC.

One fun and probably unrelated fact according to history is the Saleen-R cars wore Dynomax. http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=10844

Considering the evidence of prior install the kit had, there's no doubt he wasn't kidding but it's hard to say what race car, when, or why.

On the General Tire cars history shows they did go off on ECU testing and base advance, etc, and used an RPM extender but stock ECU tunes to make the Saleen R cars run like they do.

With the racing heritage of the early Saleen Mustangs they are forever tied to both Steve Saleen and also Kenny Brown and his family although there was the parting of ways. But for me, considering the points that these cars and this heritage intersected my life (because of a small performance shop in Omaha NE) it just might be the reason to go with it.

Heck several of the more famous pictures of the racing team cars all together were taken right outside that very shop right here in Omaha.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-23-2018 at 05:19 AM.

I still think there is more storied history to your car than we have uncovered. The pieces on it could only of come from someone who had access to them.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

I totally agree. Carfax report told me very little my eyes couldn't already see.

But, cough up the cash and you get the parts. That's how Saleen did it back then.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-23-2018 at 10:04 AM.

But people don't cough up the money for parts that don't show on the outside. Your car had functional parts. Those are only put on by guys in the know of what they do. That car belonged to someone in the inner circle or somebody who knew someone there.
    Steve
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Where are you you getting a full under hood wiring harness from?? I've been waiting for Matt at Fox Resto for a month and a half to send me a used one for my 85. Not happy.

part number 4785002 from Fox Resto. http://www.foxresto.com/1985-Mustang...-p/4785002.htm

It shipped 2/21 and is just about to the shop now. But the price is pretty unbearable. No way I would ever spend that if the car didn't have a bunch of made of unobtainium parts like the 1984-1985 Saleen body kit going on it.

Steve - I 100% agree with you. I just don't have the answers. I'd love to know. I strongly suspect it would improve the value of my car knowing.

My guess is it was a personal test mule for someone in the loop. I'll keep it on my research list.
    Steve
    Previously owned:

Progress ......a few pictures.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-23-2018 at 10:32 PM.

I researched AC kits, sticker shock!

Shopped on eBay and partsgeek and Autozone and LMR for AC parts instead. Basically what I found is that if you shop carefully you can get new everything for about 55% of the kit price, but it is a mix of NOS and competing suppliers with reputable brands. Takes a little time but saves a few hundred dollars......

Spent a little more time shopping for exhaust parts today. Planning out my moves if I'm going to pull the stock catback and sell it to someone doing a restoration.

Thinking about both electronic dumps in the H pipe before the cats and a conservative and mellow catback kit. That way it's an absolute riot when I want it to be but it shuts the hell up the rest of the time. Will cost $$$ but it would be very cool when done. I'm shocked that none of the companies out there have made a bolt on kit that does this because why not.

Headers with dumps -- no cats or mufflers -- is usually good for around 0.8 seconds in improved ETcat the drag strip on these old cars vs the same headers and a full stock exhaust. Bob Crosby documented that with his 88 when he broke into the 11's with it.

Hard to say if this build will ever see a drag strip or very many road coarses but it surely will see some. My biggest concern is the 84-85 only impossible to find parts getting messed up in the process.

Is mid america still open on 29 south of council-tucky? Did that a few times on my superbike back when i had time.

Last time I checked, yes. The local SCCA rents out space by Duncan aviation near Lincoln sometimes too. Hastings has grown a lot on the scene too.

Drag strip wise its head to mid am for 1/8 mile or head to Topeka or other Midwest 1/4 mile tracks.

reality is if a 400HP fox hooks its going go 11.90's if not faster. I really don't want to cage the car as that's not what this build is about. That limits what I can do with the car safely for sure. Then again name someone big like me that would ever want to road trip or even cruise in a caged car.... I want it to drive it, cruise with it, show it, etc. have fun with.

How many Mustangs have we seen over the years make the transition from fun street car to extreme track car never to see the street again. I love high performance cars but I've always resisted the go fast bug on that one.

Then theres the hopped up too far too far for the driver and crash tested. I sure hope my judgement outsmarts my right foot because I know I'm building a bit of a monster. Surely a hand full....

I just found your thread. It’s no small undertaking, and I can tell you from experience while it’s very difficult to find all the necessary parts, it can be done. I built a clone of the 1984 Saleen Mustang and have found all the proper parts except the big rear wing. I wish you the best of luck and can’t wait to see the final result.Name:  539A3024-514A-4DCB-8970-80F57B96577D.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  150.8 KB

Nice ride! Thanks for sharing the picture.

yea, I have everything for mine except a real deal big wing. I have the correct 85+ wing but not the big wing. Would be possible to pull molds from a real one but there are only 3 1984's and very few 1985's with a big wing. Each of those cars has a storied history. The cars themselves might only be worth $20K looking only at the car and it's value in parts but the history for each one dictates collector value way beyond -- 40K to 200K+ depending upon which of the cars being talked about. Condition is nearly irrelevant with the big wing cars.

I tip my hat to Stu and Mike as they own the majority of those cars and OMG, check out their wing! Mike has been instrumental in information needed to get my build unstuck so I owe a huge debt of gratitude. Few know as much about the Four Eyed Saleens or have as many pieces of history.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-26-2018 at 03:05 AM.

part number 4785002 from Fox Resto. http://www.foxresto.com/1985-Mustang...-p/4785002.htm

It shipped 2/21 and is just about to the shop now. But the price is pretty unbearable. No way I would ever spend that if the car didn't have a bunch of made of unobtainium parts like the 1984-1985 Saleen body kit going on it.
    Oh, that one. I bought that one last year. Now with the fire I need the main harness that is back along the firewall. Supposedly it's shipping tomorrow.

The car is proving to have absolutely awesome bones under the crap rattle can paint some idiot did. The car is obviously extremely low miles as the doors show zero sign of sagging and everything lines up as well as the nicest fox-bodies ever have. Stripping it down to bare metal has only revealed on very small area of damage on the cowl that wasn't visible before. So far only two very minor door dings have been located after checking in detail down one entire side of the car. The car had one OE replacement quarter panel installed on it at some point but the person who did it has mad skill- among the nicest body work anyone will ever find. This is great news as it lets the labor side of the build proceed under budget and on if not ahead of schedule.

While Trey and his team work their magic I've spent a lot of time the past few days going over what's there vs required parts vs multiple supplier sites. Most useful have been partsgeek, rock auto, blue oval industries, eBay, and fox resto.

I have one recommendation for anyone thinking about building a car. Get the bad news out of the way early. Sit down beside the car with a laptop that's internet connected. Go over every inch of the car top to bottom inside out and make a list of everything the car needs to be nice. Now, look up the price of all that stuff and double it -- plus. If the build cost doesn't make sense now, abandon ship or reset your expectations for the car because it's not going to get cheaper by tearing into it.

go to the major supplier sites - start with someone like Blue Oval and look at every single part that fits the car. Put the stuff in a cart you might need then evaluate what you should get now and what could be easily swapped later and what your budget is. Shop site to site and for better values and try to drive the cost down. Call them when you have the biggest orders possible and ask for a discount. If the take off 10% there's $100-200 you've saved!

now that I'm as deep as I am into the build and swimming in expensive parts, I'm absolutely past the point of no return. It will be a completely over the top awesome four eyed fox when it is done, but it has been far more expensive than expected. More than it would have been to buy a nice complete Saleen, but the difference is this car will be done all correct and will minty fresh. A new condition fox dream car I never thought I'd have the privilege of owning.

The performance parts thrown at the build most definitely have driven up the cost. MM subframe connectors, MM strut tower brace, MM panhard bar, MM rear upper and lower control arms, new front control arms with SN95 balljoints, 4-wheel disc brakes, AL heads, gears, full exhaust upgrade, etc .... its these parts that will make this car awesome to drive. They will allow the car to stop, go, and turn better than any 80's super car. Heck - as well as a few modern supercars too for that matter.

Ill have to get serious about a second set of wheels and tires down the road. Something to carry a 315/35/17 on a 17x10.5 out back and huge meats up front too. The 16x7 mesh wheels don't stand a chance of putting enough rubber under the car but they will look great at a show.

I cringe every time I update my build spreadsheet. I'm going to have to be sure to extract a lot of money worth of enjoyment out of the car or in the end if I go to sell it I'll never get my money back out. Insure the hell out of it and not be shy about driving it is my plan.
    Last edited by erratic50; 03-01-2018 at 03:01 AM.

I cringe every time I update my build spreadsheet. I'm going to have to be sure to extract a lot of money worth of enjoyment out of the car or in the end if I go to sell it I'll never get my money back out. Insure the hell out of it and not be shy about driving it is my plan.
    It's pretty easy to get into a build for many times more than first anticipated and what the car would ever be worth. I am almost embarrassed at how much I put into mine.

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast