Close

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Well ...... another stack of $$$ down the rat hole on used parts. With every trick known to man the 3.55’s I picked up for the build still growl. Time to circular file them before they mess with someone else’s day too I guess.

Bummer.

Fighting the temptation to grab a different ratio while I’m getting gears again.

The ratio math vs tire size suggests a 3.55 with a 0.59 .... given enough power .... will run past 200 and let’s face it - there is no shortage of power going in.

Hell - a stock 5.0L Mustang was found to top out at 148.5 MPH by car and driver and they never bothered to advance the base timing or remove the air inlet silencer on the SD car they tested it on.

Guess I’ll sleep on it then get crap ordered so the 8.8 build can wrap up.

It might be the installer and not the gears . . . you never know for sure!

Very frustrating and disappointing at this point. I thought I would have the entire rear suspension, exhaust, etc. installed and the car would be sitting on freshly painted and polished Enkeis and BFGs right now!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I installed a used set of 3.55’s in my Saleen a couple years ago. They were the original gears out of my 91 ranger. They had about 70k on them when I took them out. Never installed gears before. I struggled and struggled to get a good pattern. I had pulled the entire axle as I was redoing all the bushings, lines and bearings etc. It made it easier to fool with it. I couldnt imagine doing all that back and forth stuff under the car on jack stands. I finally took the axle to my mechanic friend to finish. He put the 373’s in my tigger car years ago (those were new). I wanted to take the car to an upcoming show so I wanted it done. Plus I was done fooling with it. He got it the best he could. He explained that used gears tend to want to mesh where they were meshing before in their original housing. The more wear they have the more they tend to veer to their previous wear pattern. Your never going to get a text book pattern. Makes sense. I stabbed it back in and have been driving it since. For the most part the gears are quiet. They only make a tiny bit of noise under deceleration at highway speeds (coast side). I can live with that. Most of the time I dont hear it anyway as my sub/radio are always hitting. Next time I attempt to do a gear swap I’m going new. I think it will be a much easier to get the pattern where it needs to be. Especially for a rookie. I’m sure you guys will get things figured out.
    Last edited by Tigger; 02-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

The pattern has actually been pretty good and everything is within specs, but the gear just ROAR when rotating in reverse. I have no idea how LOUD that would be actually under power in the car. Might work out just fine, but since I can't road test them easily right now it gives me major concerns.

I have played around with pinion depth, backlash settings, etc. and nothing seems to make it better, so my recommendation is new gears. Could just be that the wear pattern on these gears doesn't like this housing and differential and might work just fine in another setup. Then again, the gears make just be noisy no matter what you do at this point. I have no idea how they were set up before and if there were any issues with them before, so again I would prefer to use NEW gears and not have issues once we get the Saleen clone on the road.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Was able to get some work done in spite of the recent issues.

The tail pipes are installed, the chassis mount of the panhard rod is mounted, and the suspension is essentially back together.

Name:  2019-02-14 18.05.21.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  125.4 KB

Name:  2019-02-14 18.05.04.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  2019-02-14 18.05.30.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  111.5 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Great progress.

FEP Senior Member

Looks good. I always purchased ford Motorsport gears for my cars. The last set installed by a shop we’re little noisy and hope this set is better.

Patrick

This just reminds me to never buy used gears. If Trey can’t figure it out, I know I’ll never take a stab at it. Unless, once filled with gear oil, it makes it shut it’s mouth finally. That seems like a lot of work though when it can’t be road tested to be sure.

Like anything else, by the time you discover something is a problem it is holding up the build. If my extra parts hord was in the same location as the car then 9/10 times I’d have another one of whatever. Same with Trey.

Heck, including 3.55 gears! But the stashes are scattered across multiple states and in the end the stashes hold more used parts than new.

I ordered a new set of 3.55 made by Ford Racing from American Muscle. Paid around $25 more than the going rate on eBay but the estimated delivery date is weeks sooner so worth the additional cost

All a person can do is hope for better luck on the next steps.

The budget on this build is long ago exceeded and we all know how those projects go. it’s the X’s on the calendar going by that continue to motivate to the finish line.

Speaking of that, I need to check on my stroker with the machinist one of these days

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Was able to get some work done in spite of the recent issues.

The tail pipes are installed, the chassis mount of the panhard rod is mounted, and the suspension is essentially back together.
    Good work here. She is getting ever closer to completion. Love the white

Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    Good work here. She is getting ever closer to completion. Love the white
    You need to adjust your color. Its silver
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Indeed ..... the car is a 1E silver 85GT that was found as a roller left for dead.

I paid $800 of the rolling shell with full interior planning to strip it and refinish it and turn it into an 86GT clone then unfortunately crush what little remains of my rusty/crusty 86GT

Well .... then we started looking closer and noticed stuff. This was no ordinary 85GT, it had a stockpile of rare Saleen parts on it and under it. Vintage stuff from the mid 80’s catalogs probably. Then I realized that the Racecraft suspension kit it was sitting on was nearly $5000 in the box back then when the car was only $12K new.

So order up the usual history reports that really didn’t tell us much, but this one was just too cool to turn into an 86GT. So I took on the project of finding all the rare stuff that would make it appear as a proper 85 Saleen.

Then when Trey got going on the body he discovered the medium canyon red that was so neatly jammed everywhere, etc, under the flag grey crap rattle can paint job wasn’t actually the color the car stared out as. The tag showed 1E — Silver. So the car is one of only a few thousand silver 85 GTs and when’s the last time you e seen one?

So it became a project to complete a Saleen clone build started decades ago. make it 1E — a color nobody ever ordered and no four eyed Saleen ever came in. Make it over the top but vintage in terms of the parts going in. Make it look very close to right for an 85 Saleen but perform like a much more modern car - dare I say a supercar.

Theres another thread where we discussed the car trying to figure out what the hell it is. No proof of anything substantial has surfaced. But it appears to have been just like some of the cars Kenny Brown was building in Omaha back in the 80’s for what it’s worth.

I consider it a special kind of vintage, the cool kind. So it’s getting saved one part at a time.

That car is coming out really nice.........its gonna look awsome with the silver / saleen look.

Quote Originally Posted by cougman67 View Post
    Looks good. I always purchased ford Motorsport gears for my cars. The last set installed by a shop we’re little noisy and hope this set is better.

Patrick
    This can happen from time to time depending on how they are set up. Sometimes no matter what you do, they are just a bit noisy, all the information I have been able to find generally says it has to do with how the gears were machined. Essentially something was a bit off during machining. They work just fine, but aren't quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    This just reminds me to never buy used gears. If Trey can’t figure it out, I know I’ll never take a stab at it. Unless, once filled with gear oil, it makes it shut it’s mouth finally. That seems like a lot of work though when it can’t be road tested to be sure.
    I am no expert, so don't give me too much credit. Honestly setting up gears is not one of my favorite jobs on a car. Unfortunately between my truck, the Saleen, my RS, my buddy's Foxes I have been dealing with gears on several vehicles here over the last year or so. Needless to say I have read just about everything I can find on theories, tricks, tips, etc. and watched I don't know how many different videos online to help sort out some of the issues. I have definitely learned a lot and I am much better than before, but . . . . Truthfully if my ole' buddy that used to work at Ford was available to setup the rear ends for me, I would take them to him in a heartbeat. He loves this stuff and he's really good at it. One of those ole' timers that just knows his stuff and makes it look easy.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Love it when someone makes stuff look easy. Of course I can definitely say that about the body work on this car knowing the roof was replaced and how many door dings were fixed, etc

It sure is pretty!

FEP Senior Member

I like the look of the koni shocks. By the looks of it, your keeping the rear wheel width reasonable.

I’ve been lurking in the shadows watching this build. Just wanted to say this is an awesome build. Looking forward to seeing it on all 4s with the famous Saleen rear spoiler and the stripe kit installed. Trey,as my daughter would say”You got mad skills “ lol. Great work!

It will roll on the OG Saleen sized tires. 225/50/16’s on 16x7 ARE mesh wheels.

The 16” AREs look basically identical to Enkei 92’s and were the first set of 16” mesh wheels I tracked down

I later bought a full set of Riken 16x8. They reportedly came off of an 85 Saleen that died on a track in Iowa wearing different wheels/tires...... far fetched. No way to prove it as wheels/tires were not stamped by car number.

Most any mesh wheels more or less look the part all cleaned up.

They originally built cars with several brands of mesh wheels.
    http://www.saleenclubofamerica.com/SCOATech/84-86.htm

I will have the Rikens redone as time permits and go with a center that matches the middle stripe on the stripe kit, Gives me a few different looks that way,

Ive thought about modeling out 315/35/17 tires at 16” and doing what’s needed to get them to clear. I decided not to do that to this car. Might be a mistake with the 353 CID cannon going under that beautifully painted hood.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Awesome progress. This reminds why I will never buy used gears or a used flat tappet cam (even with the lifters marked). Certain things, once they were a certain way in a certain block or axle are just 'set in their ways.'

Are you thinking of going with more gear? 3.73 or 4.10?
    Last edited by droopie85gt; 02-18-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I sure thought about it. I wish I knew how the engine was going to act at a given RPM as that would tell me what RPM range to target for 55-85 mph in 5th.

But I won’t know until it’s together.

Trey and I discussed ratios between 3.27 and 4.10 again since we were back to the drawing board on a gear set.

After a lot of consideration we concluded 3.55’s are what the car needs to have.

It’s going to make a lot more power than a stock 5.0 and it won’t need as much gear ratio based advantage as a stocker would in order to launch.

Most road courses have places 20-70 mph is what you need. Some have places where a car could hit 140, but not much faster.... Going to lower gears than 3.55 won’t really support the 20-70 things without using 3rd at times. And the 140 stuff — I have the thought of even trying to use a 0.59 5th. It would be a disappointment I’m afraid.

So 5th will be for going places on the highway, 1-4 for having fun
    Attached Images Attached Images    

American Muscle is getting a not happy customer call. They claimed the gears would get there on the 19th then the tracker is saying the 22nd. Time is money, every day we wait is a day later it’s done.

this bs of show one date during the order process and continuing — until they ship it — is entirely unacceptable!

Well, once these precious prodical gears get where they are supposed to be ..... more progress can get made. Hell, it might even be a roller again!

Good News is the gears showed up today.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-21-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

This reminds me of that coors beer commercial
    https://youtu.be/wv54FnrjAnw

AM had promised them YESTERDAY

Or when I was working on my 86 and they sent some stuff but not everything:

AM - oh, ok — I’ll rush that out two day.

Me — that’s great — cause I need it TODAY. What time can I expect it?

long pause........ sir, I’m sorry but it won’t be there for 48 hours.

Me: you promised it 36 hours ago, the parts finally got here 10 minutes ago, and I have a car all tore to hell that has to take me to work tomorrow — what are you going to do to solve this ?

long pause, hangs up

email hits my inbox with an overnight express shipping tracking #

me — calls back in. Same stupid callcenter staffer

AM: hangs up again

Me — calls back again. Different agent, agent transfers me

witch with a B hangs up — again

Me — calls back again, gets a word in edge wise, gets escalated

manager — refunds order, apologizes

damn “replacement” parts show up Wednesday not Monday but I sorted out fixing it and reassembling via Mc parts store crap.

gotta “love” these places don’t we?! Time is money, cost me dearly.
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-20-2019 at 08:51 PM.

And that is why I dont like ordering from those places.
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

Yep ...... and the more we order there the fewer other options remain.

Now, think about the city you live in and name one place you can buy a new gear set for an 8.8 at 2pm on a Saturday. The two metro areas near me total aroun 3 million people. I can’t name ONE place.

Used from the U-pull-it if you are LUCKY.

There are guys lucky enough to have Summit or Jegs or the like close by. That’s the exception and not the rule that’s for sure!

These very gears have been used from 1986-2014 in a very long list of applications.

Stupid or what!
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-22-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast