Close

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

I finally go well enough to put some work in on the 85.

The car made its very first trip around the block the other day. Still lots to do but it lives. The 331 under the hood is a fire breather -- she's an absolute monster. Tire shredder basically.

The SVO spindle with sn95 to SVO adapters setup I did for it is excellent.

haven’t updated in a while

my trip around the block hit 30 and revealed side markers that were installed but NOT screwed in. As you can all imagine and will cringe to read — So much for paint on BOTH front fenders. (WTF)

Then the 8.8 called it quits shortly there after. Dead before mile #5

I’ve certainly had better days

definitely not asking what’s next!

Sorry to hear about your hard luck. What did the rear axle do? Lock up or start making noise?

Can identify with that feeling. Got mine running/driving for first time in over 10 yrs of ownership only to have the rear howl like a wolf.

Good luck with the repairs!
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

The 8.8 is beyond simple repair. It is popping and banging and you can’t push the car in neutral or with the driveshaft off

Yet another set of all new internals are required

I have an 8.8 with 3.90’s prepped for my 86GT. Rather than blowing endless dollars on parts to fox the 8.8 in the car I’m having a friend help me swap in the 8.8 with 3.90’s. We have to pull the SN95 flange fox width Mosier axles and NorthRacecars SN95 brake brackets then install the brake plates and axles from the Saleen

Not fun

Of course the wing being on way crooked and the hatch showing rust is also not going to work

A little work with a DA revealed it is so full of cancer it is beyond repair.

Currently a friend with a paint shop is welding plugs into my 1993 LX hatch I’ve had in storage since the early 2000’s and I am looking for another one for my 1986 project — if I ever get to it

Not the type of **** I wanted or expected to report

I have WAY more money wrapped up into this **** than the current outcome achieved

Not stopping until the car is completed properly but quite frankly this is BS

It will be a totally awesome car when it is done - I’ll see to it — but there has been a lot of needless waste in this build for sure

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    It will be a totally awesome car when it is done - I’ll see to it — but there has been a lot of needless waste in this build for sure
    If you were anywhere near me I would give you mine off my 85. I am going with a 79 hatch that has the three piece wing mountings and it sits behind my house on a pallet
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Well this thread more or less ends in a finished car but also a truckload of disgust and disappointment in many ways. Silence is sometimes deafening and also speaks volumes

Nearing the end of the project soon. It will be revealed at Midwest Foxfest 2022 provided these few repairs go OK. Most certainly NOT as planned because they wouldn't be needed if it were as planned..

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Well this thread more or less ends in a finished car but also a truckload of disgust and disappointment in many ways. Silence is sometimes deafening and also speaks volumes

Nearing the end of the project soon. It will be revealed at Midwest Foxfest 2022 provided these few repairs go OK. Most certainly NOT as planned because they wouldn't be needed if it were as planned..
    Look on the bright side Jim, you are in OMAHA, a city I have yet to visit. Second, you own a newly-restored 1E Saleen Tribute (oh and some sweet Headlight Lenses from Boston). Third, Texas Trey worked his magic on this car, makes me want to see this 1E all-the-more. [Kid's a genius when it comes to the Third Generation].

Ok, now let's see you do some smoky donuts this Saturday morning at Cars & Coffee. Install a take-off 8.8 with some Motorsport 3.73s. Post a video to TikTok or Youtube if poss. Lastly, make sure to have 'Lonesome Loser' by Little River Band cranked on that Kenwood. Good vibes all the way around. The Man Upstairs never gives us more than we can handle, that's what the good book says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNqqs4h4M7c
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 10-30-2022 at 01:03 PM. Reason: updated link

Sorry to hear about your problems. I can certainly relate.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Update? Did you get everything worked out and make it to the show? We need pics of of the completed tribute car.��

The car was revealed at Midwest foxfest

Lost by a coin toss in a couple categories and didn’t win a thing but I’m super happy to finally get to drive it

Im down to some carb tuning and general engine bay detailing and getting the correct lines for the AC and getting a machinist to build a bracket for cruise buttons and getting that setup

Rob Eacher and Brent Wallace did some amazing work sorting out the hatch and wing and damaged front fascia and matching the paint. Rob also had a guy do the graphics work that totally nailed it.

The car is back from the dead, beautiful, and FAST

Glad to hear things are looking up. Post up some pics on here when you can.

Congratulations, that's awesome. You know, I have yet to see a good set of pictures from Midwest Fox Fest. I always intend to get there, but it never happens.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Congratulations. All that hard work paid off
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Could you elaborate for those of us that has been following this build for years now?
    If its personal then i would understand if you don't answer (just trying to get some closure on such a wild ride and beautiful build).
    Wraithracing anything to add?
    1984 Mustang LX
    302, Holley 4bbl 600 vac sec
    B&M C4 R servo
    Shorty Headers
    MSD Box and Coil
    Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
    Crower Cam 472 112 seperation
    Chetah Shifter
    Performer RPM Intake
    Carter Electronic Fuel Pump
    Accel Eletronic Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy60 View Post
    Could you elaborate for those of us that has been following this build for years now?
    If its personal then i would understand if you don't answer (just trying to get some closure on such a wild ride and beautiful build).
    Wraithracing anything to add?
    I do not want to sound ungrateful for the effort that was was put into this build. But to answer the question it is a mix of so many things.

The insane hassle of getting the car back was positively terrible and came at a VERY bad time. We were near flat broke and about to start losing stuff and the car needed to get done and gone along with my truck and trailer.

Some blessings in disguise came along to where the only thing that went in the end was the trailer but that's another matter entirely.

The volume of parts that had been reconditioned on the builds dime or were with the car but then stolen out of Treys shop was an enormous blow to the build. And no doubt the longer it sat there with me begging to get it back the more stuff walked away.

I had things lined up for help wrapping it up but couldn't get the car back. And when I did I didn't dare because I didn't want to expose them to the he said/ he said about the volume of missing stuff. So it stayed locked up in my shop and I worked on it as I had time between major health issues to go through it and figure it out.

To his credit Trey did send replacements for some stuff. It helped but the total cost of the overall adventure caused by thieves was so many thousands. Borrowed on high interest thousands too.

Once I finally got car on the road the 8.8 documented here that so much had been invested ..... you guessed it ...... grenaded in less than 5 very easy miles.

Side markers flewing out during this very first drive at 30 MPH. I got stopped but not before they beat the piss out of both front fenders because they had been put in but not screwed in.

Soon after the door windows fell because they were not attached to the regulators -- just sitting on unpopped rivets.

Reports of the first drive and the 8.8, etc, was the point where things got entirely silent. I had paid a very considerable amount for the work.

The 8.8 is in my garage in a pile. I had to take the housing and all of the necessary rear end parts from my 86 in order to get it together in time for FoxFest.

There are many other things I could mention. But as for the remainder of list of things I just don't care to discuss so I'll leave it at that.

A performance.ford.com article that features foxfest. The rain early in the day really negatively impacted the overall beauty of the car. It had been freshly detailed by Ming before the show. Oh well -- pictures from the night before the show at the meet were amazing

https://performance.ford.com/enthusi...0/foxfest.html

Or at least remarkably better than the rusted out pile of an 86GT that I'm more accustom to driving.

for some reason I have not been able to post pictures to FEP for over a year. Sorry for the lack of pics as the engine went in and the build got ready to hit the road.

for some reason I have not been able to post pictures to FEP for over a year. Sorry for the lack of pics as the engine went in and the build got ready to hit the road.
    Frame 11 of 16 and 13 of 16,
    https://performance.ford.com/enthusi...0/foxfest.html

well worth the wait! Congratulations

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637