Close

Question Help with exhaust!

I am trying to install a Flow Master cat back system on my new '85GT. Problem I am having is one of the hangers that is welded to the rear of the passenger muffler is welded differently then the other. It is welded on an angle leaning against the outlet tube. It is also welded very low and causing the muffler to hit the underside of the floor. I am thinking I just need to get it installed and then take somewhere to get new one welded on and remove the one on it now. Also, which way I am I suppose to install the transmission hanger bracket? With the bracket up or down where the rods welded to the pipe attach? Pis are welcomed.

Thanks

You might be able to find a longer length rubber puck to lower the muffler a bit. An auto parts exhaust section or Help section could have what you need. Can't help with the other question. Different manufactures used similar exhaust hangers, so maybe something for a different application would work.

I never bothered with the center hanger, never really mattered.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Thanks.

Good idea on the longer puck. All the pics that I see look like this for the trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

Yep, that is the correct install for the hanger plate.

Another issue just came up. On the transmission mounting cross member. I can't install the new bushing kit because the bushings are to big in diameter. Was there a change from 1985 to 1986 up?

Thanks

I had a cross member that had smaller tubes on the ends, and I assumed it was because it was out of an early car that had dual exhaust, or from a 2.3L car. It came out of an 86, or so I was told, so maybe in 86, first year of dual exhaust, they had the smaller tubes, and from 87 on it used the bigger tubes?

Quote Originally Posted by racerxmd View Post
    Another issue just came up. On the transmission mounting cross member. I can't install the new bushing kit because the bushings are to big in diameter. Was there a change from 1985 to 1986 up?

Thanks
    Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure that early fox mustangs 1979-1982 had the narrower body mount.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302