Close

Threaded View

Default For the restoration purists- PS pump question

I received my judging sheet today from the MCA show in Kansas City Aug 24-27 and I am questioning some of the things they noted. I think the problem is probably from trying to apply a standard across all third generation cars rather than recognizing production nuances as the years went by. As one example, they docked me for "PS Pump Cap not OEM Ford- missing yellow lettering". I am fairly certain that my car retains the factory original power steering pump and cap. Here is a picture of my engine bay and you see that the cap is back with a yellow stripe on the grip/handle. By the way, my car is a late 83, build date of 07/19/83

Name:  IMG_1117.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  123.4 KB

Today I noticed that EmeryGT350 posted a picture of his headers and his 84 had the same cap:

Name:  PS cap.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  97.7 KB

The rules state:
    Power Steering Pump, Pulley & Hose: Must be as original. Pump is natural aluminum. Reservoir black plastic on '79-'88 & off-white plastic on '89-93. Pulley semi-gloss black. Mounting bracket natural. Black cap with yellow lettering. Cobra R will have black PS cooler mounted behind fog lamp opening.

I would love to hear from anyone-newer and older cars- with what they have. I haven't researched it a lot yet but as I recall the yellow lettering maybe was on later model cars. To further mix things up look at this engine bay from one of the magazine shoots back when these cars were new- this cap is completely different!
    Name:  IMG_0685.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  60.9 KB
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 09-13-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18