Close

Default 1984 GT350 Conv. 5.0/AOD: $7700CAD/$6100USD (Montreal, Quebec)

1984 GT350 Conv. 5.0 w/ AOD, $7700 CAD (~$6100 USD)
    Link: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1264167833

I've noticed this car up for sale locally for several months now. Just thought I would share it if anyone is looking for one.

Ad says 164k km's (~100k miles) with fog lights and AC. No mention of where the original wheels are.

Be aware in Quebec owners are not required to re safety a vehicle on transfer of ownership. What does this mean? That Quebec cars could have a million things wrong and still be on the road. Buy at your own peril

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
    1981 Mustang Hatch 3.3 "Orange Juice"
    1983 Mustang GT Convertible "Triple Black"
    1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    Be aware in Quebec owners are not required to re safety a vehicle on transfer of ownership. What does this mean? That Quebec cars could have a million things wrong and still be on the road. Buy at your own peril

While it is true that Quebec does not have mandatory annual safety inspections, we do still have safety standards here. Just to clarify:

1. Any car that has not been registered in more than 12 months is required to pass a mechanical inspection.
    2. Any road going car can be issued an inspection request by a police officer if the vehicle appears to be questionable or unsafe.
    3. Any vehicle that has been in a serious accident or deemed severely damaged by an insurance company will be forever tagged on its registration as a reconstructed vehicle. Before one of these vehicles can be registered for the road again it will have to pass a mechanical inspection.

No need to fear buying a vehicle from Quebec. And anyone making a serious purchase should arrange for their own independent inspection.

Maybe your experience has been different, I personally have yet to see a PQ car that wasn't a **** bucket. All they do is keep it constantly registered and it never gets checked for safety or road worthiness ever again.

1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

Quote Originally Posted by BTD View Post
    Maybe your experience has been different, I personally have yet to see a PQ car that wasn't a **** bucket. All they do is keep it constantly registered and it never gets checked for safety or road worthiness ever again.

Perhaps that has been your experience. I am from Montreal and have lived here my entire life. Yes there are a lot of rotted out cars as is common in the North East. We do salt the roads heavily here. That said, there are still plenty of good cars around that have been taken care of.

I'm pretty familiar with the inspection and insurance processes having spent a lot of time in my dad's collision shop here. And yes, the scenario of continuing the registration on a clapped out car is possible - but those cars simply won't sell very well. Just like anywhere else, do your homework and you won't be surprised.

There is no way to do the homework as the records aren't kept. As no one makes them keep them. There is no way to tell what's been done, it's a total crapshoot. Unless you already live in Quebec, stay away from Quebec cars. You will thank me later.

1994 Ford ThunderBird SC
    1987 Firebird T/A
    1984 Firebird Forumla
    1988 Mazda RX-7 Infinity
    1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II
    1994 Eagle Talon TSI
    1991 Eagle Talon TSI

FYI for anyone interested, this car is still up for sale and the price has been dropped slightly to $7400 CAD. The link in the first post is still good.