Close

Default Passenger front scraping once everything heats up?

Hi.

87+spindles, brakes, rotors etc. on my 84 Capri.

Once things warm up I get a scraping from the passenger side wheel doing slow turns. When cold, I get a little 'tug' when turning the rotor by hand, but no scraping. When cold, driving I also don't get a scraping sound. I moved a pretty badly bent splash shield around where it was 'close' but cold wasn't scraping.

Ideas what else beside the shield would be scraping at low speeds but only when warmed up?

Thanks,

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Misadjusted or failed bearings! stop driving it entirely and dig in and figure it out before you smoke a king pin and have it snap off!

or maybe somethibg is dragging. Failed brake pads, etc. be sure to figure it out!

You can buy band new rotors with races already pressed in for about $100 total. The bearing sets come with races you don't need but are around $6 outer and $12 inner. Seals about $6 each.

Get some high temp grease. Google the correct way to hand pack a wheel bearing with grease.

Pull everything apart. Clean the heck out of the spindles and fully inspect. If the ridge the inner bearing rides on is gone you should see evidence the bearing was spinning on the spindle. Ideally, replace the spindle. I remember all too well being broke -- i squeezed an extra 200K out of the front spindles on my 86 but you have to understand in detail how things are supposed to work.

rotors have races. Bearing ride races and the inside cannot be allowed to spin or it will ruin the whole works.

In a pinch you can polish the edge of the bearing that goes up against that lip to cause more force/pressure to get applied to the inner bearing at the tapered corner where it meets the inside of the bearing. Your other option is to basically nural the metal on the spindle at the lip with a cold chisel. I did a little of both to mine and got things to work for me.

i kept the spindle and inside of the portion of the bearing where it rides the lip and meets the spindle as free from lubrication as possible while having the bearings packed full.

when installing the rotor tighten it down until you cannot turn the rotor easily by hand anymore. Turn the rotor as you do this so the amount of grease there evens out. Now back off just a little bit so there is some drag but not a lot. You should not be able to feel any jiggle in the rotor but it should turn willingly. Now put back on your nut retainer and cotter pin and cap. Put on the pads and caliper. Be sure to clean and lube the pins. Put on your wheel and tighten with a torque wrench. No silly I think it's about X tight - same as the others bs.

Good luck!

So drove it around again today, but with a buddy in the passenger side listening.

First 10 minutes, no noise at all, but after that when slowing down and first accelerating it was a banging/interference sound from under the passenger seat or foot box area (which is why I thought it was the passenger brakes.)

Got it home, jacked it up and nothing obvious rubbing or hitting. Let it cool down 30 minutes and went out and again no noises until everything got hot.

So what could it be under the passenger seat, only makes noise once warmed up and sounds like rubbing or interference?

I'm thinking clutch or transmission, or the 3" exhaust hitting the driveshaft, but from the limited view we had in the driveway I didn't see any signs of rubbing on it. Clutch feels the same warm or cold.

Thanks

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

This is a strange issue. Is the exhaust close to the floor anywhere or the transmission cross member?...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/