Close

New User

Default New / Former Member Again- 79 Cobra Turbo

Former member of the old site years ago. Picked up a 79 Cobra Turbo last week here in Minnesota. Eager to get after it and very jazzed.

Former 4 eyes were a few Pace Cars 1,100 mile 9k mile and a restored car. Then had a 81 Ford Fairmont Futura, cream puff, 30k miles, I repainted it then had to sell. Hoping to buy it back.

Here is pic of recent big project '79 Cobra- 4 cyl Turbo 4 spd, oddly rust free. Back in the day it appears to have been someone's baby. Was parked on dirt floor in pole barn and interior has some mold. Motor has spun bearing. Then moved outside for 1 year in weeds. Bra in backseat. Front rubber grille facial is very weak and very rubbery, paint is peeled off. I can tell front end repaint, hood an door don't match and Cobra hood decal is gone. Red interior is brittle and is crumbling upon touch (left rear interior quarter panel). Odd, never seen anything like it. Maybe was a southern car?

Hoping to restore drive train, with recommended upgrades, to close to OEM. I'd like to convert to all black interior. If anyone has a used parts car with a complete black interior I can buy in the midwest please drop me a line. Also seeking rear luvers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Welcome (back?)!

Can't wait to see this one tooling around town.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Congrats. A decent amount of 79 Cobras were built, but they are rarely seen today. Post more pics please. Looking forward to updates.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

New User

Car had not run for quite a while. The gas in the tank did not smell as if it had turned yet. Today I put in a fresh Battery and gas in the carb and she fired. Anyone have a good knock knock joke?