Close

Default LED Bulbs-- Any new technology for four eyed Foxes?

Hi All,
    I was looking to replace the rear bulbs on our 86 GT a couple of years ago with LEDs, but it sounded like the technology was still in kind of a beta phase.
    Are there plug and play LED bulbs that are definitely brighter that the OEMs & if so what are the numbers on them & where is the best place to buy them?
    I also need a set for our 84 SVO.....are the numbers the same on them?
    Thanks for any up to date info on this.
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

I had a bulb burn out on the rear tail lights on my 78 Fairmont. I bought some LED bulbs, looking for lower heat for the socket and the lens. I have installed some Sylvania 1157 LED's. Their brightness is very close to the original bulbs. The newer LED's draw less current, so the lens and light sockets should last longer. But, they were spendy. O'Reilly's sells them for $19.99 a pair. They are labeled, "Off Road Only".

The LEDs have gotten better and better over the years. I installed some in my PC years ago and wasn't all that happy with them as they were barely as bright as the 1157/1156 they replaced. The light was very directional and didn't light up the housing like the incandescent did.

I recently bought some new LEDs for my 85 Road Racer project and the difference is night and day. MUCH Brighter than the original bulbs and much better than what I bought years ago.

COB (Chip On Board) is the one of the newest things in LED lights and seems to have really kicked the brightness and quality up a ton IMHO. Once you know what you are looking for and what you need you can find some great deals on Ebay. Otherwise I would recommend checking out here:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle

They sell some very good LEDs and you can review a bunch of different choices on one site. Prices are very reasonable too IMHO. You can find cheaper on Ebay, but you have to be careful and know what you are looking for and what you are looking at to make sure they are a good deal. In my experience most of the LEDs at the local parts stores are either mid quality or just plain overpriced. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I got mine from Diode Dynamics and am happy with them. I think i bought their middle of the road "plasma" type for my main taillight bulbs. I also took the opportunity to replace all my 1157 sockets with 3157 for better reliability. I filled in some of the others on the car with SuperBright stuff. I didn't like the look of the DD 194s and stuff. I avoided ebay because really, you never know what you're getting on there unless it's a known, reputable company. Go with your gut. My best advice though is, you get what you pay for. Don't cheap out. Even SuperBright seems to have some crappy stuff on there, so do your research and look at the specs. SuperBright even (sort of) warns you of this.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks for the info guys.
    I just encountered a new term "CANBUS". Would either our 86GT or the 84 SVO have come equipped with a CANBUS system, or is that much newer technology?
    Ron

I think CANBUS is used to make sure you dont get errors on the on board computer.

I don't think the 84 even has an OBDTmaybe not the 86 either.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Uh Oh, another new technology term that I am not familiar with....what is OBDT?

It looks like 2010 may have been the first year of CANBUS on Mustangs.
    Ron

FYI

A Controller Area Network (
    CAN bus) is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for that info Trey.....It is way over this old man's head!

I ended up ordering a pair of (iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Super Bright Low Power 1157 2057 2357 7528 BAY15D LED Bulbs with Projector) in red and another amber color pair.

Here are the specs: 54SMD 3014 & 3SMD 3030 high Brightness chips per bulb, Working Voltage:9v-30v, Size: 1.75"x 0.94" x 0.86" Fits:1157 & many others.
    They claim they are three times as bright as the OEM bulbs.....I guess I'll see when they arrive next week.
    Ron
    P.S. I wanted to post a pic of them, but have no idea how anymore with P.B. out of the picture(no pun intended)
    Last edited by BLK BRD 88; 09-12-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: misspelled word

On Board Diagnostic Test. OBDT - Its the port on newer cars that is located next to the steering shaft under the dash. Its what allows code readers to tell you what is happening and why the cars "check engine" light is on. It also can allows you to reprogram different car functions depending on the car and reader.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Default Feel free to ask questions

Gents:

I've replaced every bulb on my car except the glove compartment with LED. Car is an '85.

That includes Headlights, tail lights, dash, markers etc. etc.

Everything works...Well!

LMK what you want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by steam_mill View Post
    Gents:

I've replaced every bulb on my car except the glove compartment with LED. Car is an '85.

That includes Headlights, tail lights, dash, markers etc. etc.

Everything works...Well!

LMK what you want to know.
    Did you need to install any load resistors or replace the flasher modules?
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    Did you need to install any load resistors or replace the flasher modules?
    No load resistors. the error centre comes on when I turn on the lights. If I put load resistors in then the LED's would never come one. Why bother.

I replaced both flashers with 3 prong (ie. grounded) no load flashers.

Canbus rated LED bulbs typically have a resistor installed in the bulb base. A lot of cheap tailight bulbs and marker bulbs available for purchase out there with 1157/1156 type of bases are Canbus rated LED bulbs with the resistor allowing an older electrical system to "recognize" the bulb and therefore light up. This can also be true for the smaller dash LED bulbs. Canbus rated LED bulbs generate HEAT due to the resistor added in the base of the bulb and in some situations LOT'S OF HEAT! Much more than a standard bulb.

There have been RV fires that started due to the owner replacing the standard 12 volt bulb in an interior lighting situation with Canbus LED bulbs in the same fixture. 1157/1156 type Canbus rated tailight bulbs were NOT designed for this continuous lighting application. Canbus rated LED bulbs were designed to be used in applications where the light would only be "on" for short periods of time such as a brake light or turn signal. The heat generated by the resistor in Canbus rated 1157/1156 and other Canbus rated dash LED bulbs etc can generate heat greater than the heat generated by the incandescent bulb you just replaced.

Most "Cheap" LED tailight replacement bulbs out there for sale are Canbus LED bulbs. Take some time to read the article below to educate yourself about the differences in automotive LED bulbs.

http://rvtravel.com/follow-up-on-led...ement-dangers/
    Last edited by vintageracer; 09-12-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I installed the Brightstar LED bulbs in the 86 GT and the flasher has stopped working. The turn signal lights light up, but no flash.
    Do I need to change to a different flasher type as mentioned by steam_mill above?
    Ron

You have to get an electronic flasher

Yup. Amazon has them for cheap.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Can someone be more specific as to which flasher to use?

Thanks
    Tom

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Thanks.

Tom

1982 Capri resto-mod ~~

Quote Originally Posted by atarijeff View Post
    I have this type in my 2004 Ford van. They are very bright.
    1980 Capri
    5.0 EFI Mass Air, Rebuilt T5, Centerforce Dual Friction, B&M Ripper Shifter, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5 Lug 8.8, Cobra Brakes, Maximum Motorsports HD Lower Control Arms 94GT Spindles, 94 Front Control Arms, B Springs, Tokico Shocks & Struts, MM Camber Plates

Thought about themn but they are just damned ugly in my opinion

All types are overpriced in stores. Or online after shipping charge. Regular and LED.
    Why do larger house bulbs, constructed with much more material, cost 10x less?
    Am keeping incandescent for now in car. Bright enough then, bright enough now.
    At least if one goes, can match up with same. Will not screw up light out warning module.

Reconditioning rear taillight lens can do wonders. 30+ years of dirt inside.
    Same with front amber turn signal lens. Brighter LED bulb in a old sandblasted lens?
    Twist socket contacts and wires wear out from age. The newer push in are better.
    Std bulbs also dim somewhat over time.

LED cluster lighting adds much glare unless dimmable. Don't want to light up the whole car.
    Color can be unpredictable. Heat is negative factor.
    The factory cluster was not really designed for LED as new cars are.
    Have a RS amber one for radio AMP on. Very bright ok. Good for warning lights.

Am not against LED. They have their place and can look really cool, like rope lights.
    In house, replaced almost all regular 60w with warm white dim-able low k LED.
    Same spectrum, use much less wattage. Sylvania, cost like 1.00 each.
    Higher k is harsh for other than shop or outdoor.
    Shed strip 70w led perfect, much less heat, lots of light.
    250+ lumen headband light perfect for night bicycle riding and working on car but suck up batteries.
    Car versions are not the same standards. Results all over the place like work/flashlight lumens.